Diaper Clutch Tutorial

It’s finally here.
First: all the disclaimers. (My husband hates when I do this.)
Admittedly, this is my first ever attempt at a blog tutorial, so it’s far from perfect. My camera is not stellar and some pictures look worse than I thought they did when I first took them. Hopefully they’re good enough you’ll at least get the general idea. I’ll try to replace them eventually.

I would welcome any feedback – or questions if you need clarification – of any part of the process so that I can make this as helpful as possible to anyone in the future.

With that, here goes.
Quick recap: What is a diaper clutch?
(aka a fabric diaper case. Is” diaper clutch” trademarked?)

A handy (and stylish!) little pouch to compactly store a spare diaper or two and package of wipes, particularly when you’re sick of carrying a diaper bag but you’re still in need of these critical supplies. This serves a couple of purposes: to keep diapers from getting squashed and wadded-up at the bottom of your purse, and makes it more convenient to hand all the supplies over to your husband at once when you’re out in public and a diaper needs changing! πŸ™‚

Getting started:
(Before you start, I always suggest reading through the whole tutorial to get an idea of what you’ll be doing. Cut’s down on the mistakes. Also might not be a bad idea to make a practice clutch first before you cut-up your favorite Amy Butler fabric.)

Supplies: 8″x 23″ piece of two coordinating fabrics
2″ of velcro

From outer fabric cut: one piece 8″x 10″ and one piece 8″x 13″
From lining fabric cut: one piece 8″x 10″ and one piece 8″x 13″ (same as outer fabric)

Pin the ‘loop’ side of the velcro to the front of the smaller outside fabric.
I measured 3″ in and 2 1/2″ down. [see picture]

Then pin the hook side of the velcro to the large piece of lining fabric – 3″ in and 1″ down.Sew on the velcro. (Sew it securely – don’t forget to back stitch.)
To create the closure flap, I then stacked the two large coordinating fabrics back to back with the smaller front fabric on top, lining up the bottom edges. Line up your ruler at point *A -the top of the front of the clutch – and move the ruler in one inch on the diagonal to point *B.
Repeat on the other side. (Ignore my pinned velcro.)

(This part of the process is far less critical and there’s room for lots of variation here, so feel free to be creative.)

Round of the bottom edges. I used a really high-tech tool called an upside-down-applesauce-cup.
Match-up fronts and backs of outside and lining fabrics, lining-up bottom edges. Sew together front and back of each group around the sides using a 3/8″ seam allowance. Clip curves.
Trim the lining fabric closer to the seam.
Turn the lining fabric right-side-out and put it inside the outside fabric pouch so that right-sides are matched-up together.
Pin around the flap and inside edges. Starting from about 1.5″ from the right seam stitch the lining and front fabrics together around the top of the front of the bag and around the flap edge.
(You are going to use the area left open for turning the bag right-side out and will later top-stitch it closed.)
This is the trickiest part. When sewing you’re going to put the throat of the machine ‘inside’ the ‘inside-out’ bag. I used a 3/8″ seam. [Sorry about the bad picture!]
This is what the stitching will look like when it’s done.
Clip top corners.
Turn both bags right-side out through the opening and tuck the lining inside the outer bag.
Carefully press the top flap.
and top-stitch around the outer edge of the bag and flap, closing the opening used for turning right-side-out.
Voila. A lovely baby gift. Here is mine with a coordinating nursing cover. A long over-due gift for a friend. Finally done! And so is this tutorial.

January 14, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I think you did a great job on your tutorial! Thank you! I’m looking forward to making a few of these.

Laurie, the girls and Scott
    January 14, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Wow! Thanks so much! I am making these soon. I’ll let you know how it goes.

January 14, 2009 at 11:30 pm

are tutorials supposed to be funny?… the applesauce cup definitely made me giggle a bit!<BR/>it looks great Amy!

March 30, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Great tutorial! I posted a link on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-diaper-clutchtutorial-sew-a-diaper-clutch/2009/03/30/<BR/><BR/>–Anne

April 10, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I made one for myself! It’s awesome. The tutorial was super easy to follow, thank you! I might make a bigger one for when the diapers get a little bigger, mine fit 4 size 2 diapers perfectly.

April 13, 2009 at 11:00 am

This is my favorite shower gift lately. Just made one the other day, but your tutorial makes it so much easier. THANKS!

Three Dancing Magpies
    April 15, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Can’t thank you enough for this. I love it! Just made one for an upcoming shower and am thrilled. I think I will make a few more tonight for myself, my twins diapers are always a crumpled mess and the original ones I had purchased don’t fit their current size four diapers! Thanks again, the tutorial rocked!

April 29, 2009 at 7:11 pm

I am working on one now and I can only hope it turns out as good as yours. I posted a link on http://www.triadmommies.com

Rhiannon's Mom
    May 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Hi Amy,<br /><br />I found you from May Giveaway Day hosted by Sew Mama Sew and so glad that I did. This tutorial is great and I was able to make the clutch in less than an hour. Being the newbie sewer that I am, the only difficulty that I had was sewing the lining flap and the opening (before you flip it inside out). I was confused: do I sew the from the start line to the side and stop then

amy smart
    June 2, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Hi there Rhiannon&#39;s Mom. Not sure how to contact you, so hopefully you&#39;ll see this.<br /><br />That is definitely the trickiest part of the process – and the hardest to demonstrate with out video. Maybe I should add video? Hmmm, that would be a good idea. But to answer your question, yes, you do sew one continuous stitch all the way around the front, sew 3/8&quot; past the front, raise

June 4, 2009 at 1:55 am

I&#39;m excited to make one of these! Thanks! I linked to it!

June 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm

great tutorial! thanks!<br />just made one for a not-so-close relative who is giving birth at this very moment πŸ™‚

July 19, 2009 at 5:45 am

Great! Thanks. I&#39;m going to make one today to go with a few other gifts I made my daughter.

November 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Thanks this was a greta tutorial, mine turned out so cute!

November 22, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Thank you! I have been scouring the internet on and off all day for a great tutorial. I can&#39;t wait to make mine now!

March 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Great tute. I have just enough left over fabric from a carseat canopy to make a matching diaper clutch for a friend. Perfect tute. Thanks!

March 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I just made my own with a little strip of fabric across the front as well. Your pattern worked perfectly and fits just the necessities! <br /><br />I posted photos here if you want to take a look!<br /><br />http://thecraftyclassroom.com/blog/2010/03/26/clutch-diaper-clutch/<br /><br />Blessings, <br /><br />Valerie

April 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

How did you make the nursing cover? I&#39;d love to make a coordinating set! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial and inspiration!

April 11, 2010 at 8:13 am

SUPER cute pattern! I made one in about an hour yesterday morning before a baby shower at noon! Thanks for the pics and super easy instructions! Love this blog! I&#39;m LDS too! πŸ™‚

April 11, 2010 at 1:40 pm

. . . . and it&#39;s a great shower gift for those families working on their umpteenth baby!

May 31, 2010 at 11:18 am

This is a great tutorial! I just linked to it on my blog. I&#39;ve got a little one on the way and the older one is still in diapers. This would sure be helpful so I&#39;m not lugging around 2 bags!<br />-Sarah from Create Studio<br />www.createstudio.blogspot.com

August 2, 2010 at 12:28 am

Thanks Amy for the awesome Tutorial. Just found it the other day even though you posted it over a year ago… how cool is that?! I also linked to you over on my blog. πŸ™‚

Simple Sweetie
    September 17, 2010 at 8:49 am

Hi<br /><br />Thanks for sharing this tutorial. It is great for a beginner like me. I have made one for myself today and I will make more for my friends.

October 28, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I was trying to figure out how to create a diaper clutch on my own and decided I should just search for a tutorial. Your photos and instructions were just what I needed for getting over the mental block that was keeping me from starting!<br />I&#39;m posting what I created on my blog tonight and linking back to you.<br />Thank you – thank you – thank you!<br /><br />

November 14, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hi – love this diaper clutch! Very easy to make. I just had one comment – I thought the lining should be a hair smaller than the outer pouch. I made it following your instructions and the lining is bunching up too much. Has anyone else had the same issue? This happens to be one of my first sewing projects, so I could be doing something wrong… Other than that one issue, it came out really pretty

March 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I am making so many of these for it seems all my family is having babies this year. πŸ™‚ I&#39;m learning a lot along the way, but you definitely wrote the tutorial for us beginners. πŸ˜€ Thanks!!

March 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for this tutorial!! i just got into sewing and this is super easy to do. Thanks!

Lisa F (NJ)
    May 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

Awesome tutorial! Thank you, and I am just now reaching the stage where all I want to carry is a diaper or two, and the wipes. Great timing!!!! Thanks

May 27, 2011 at 9:03 am

I found that it helped to stop stitching the side seams about 3/8&quot; from the top. That helped not to get the bunching when stitching the 2 pieces together.

May 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I just made one of these and LOVE the idea and pattern!!! You did a great job with explanations. Thanks

June 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm

This works as well for my IPAD if I move one of the velcro. Super.

June 29, 2011 at 12:10 am

Just finished it and found that on the next one I will put the velcro on the top fabric, sideways (90degrees), in order to allow the pouch to close even if you put longer item (like the ipad!). I cut 2 sets so it will be for the next one. Thanks for the pictures, and the tutorial.

September 21, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Great instructions! I have made a few of these and have been happy with the way they turned out. Fat quarters are perfect if you want a pouch that is a little larger to grow as the diapers do! Thanks for the tutorial!

November 17, 2011 at 8:58 pm

This is so awesome! I have been looking for a cool gift to make my cousin for her baby shower and I think this is it! Looks amazing and not too difficult to make.

February 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

I just made one for a friend, and it was a cinch for this very-beginner sewer! Thanks for the great tutorial–it&#39;s a perfect gift for an acquaintance!

May 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm

What a great tutorial! I just featured it on Favorite Pins Friday at Wait Til Your Father Gets Home. http://www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com/2012/05/26/favorite-pins-friday-2/

Lauren Bonsall
    September 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Just made this for my son&#39;s preschool tote-bag. Thanks so much for the tutorial πŸ™‚

Laura MartΓ­n
    March 31, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Hi!<br />I&#39;m not speak English very well but I understant the tutorial!!! I did the quilterthe diaper yesterday and it&#39;s very easy!!!! <br />Thank you Amy!<br /><br />

Syaiful isma
    October 25, 2014 at 3:18 pm

article from a very amazing, Good Job, Thank you for presenting a wide variety of information that is very interesting to see in this artikle<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://www.tourkarimunjawaisland.com/&quot; rel="nofollow">wisata karimunjawa</a> <br />and <a href="http://jualfurniturejepara.com/&quot; rel="nofollow">jual furniture</a> <br />or <a href="http://www.mebeljeparafurniture.com/&quot; rel="

Tutorial: Sew a diaper clutch – Sewing
    April 27, 2015 at 12:38 am

[…] Amy from Diary of a Quilter shows how to make this diaper clutch.Β  Get the tute. […]

June 4, 2015 at 9:19 am

Make them in manly fabrics for the fathers. Great gift for the new dad!

June 10, 2015 at 9:30 am

nice tutor here, easy to follow, my friends love to make some bag with my dress, i thing she will love this site..
    thanks you very muach

Springy Divided Basket + Diaper Pouch - Noodlehead
    April 23, 2016 at 9:16 am

[…] tote, a pillow with a quilt, stuff like that. I think it makes the gift super fun. So the quick and always fun diaper pouch (tutorial from Diary of a Quilter) is one I make often. For a small amount a fabric, this pouch […]