Diaper Clutch Tutorial

It’s finally here.
First: all the disclaimers. (My husband hates when I do this.)
Admittedly, this is my first ever attempt at a blog tutorial, so it’s far from perfect. My camera is not stellar and some pictures look worse than I thought they did when I first took them. Hopefully they’re good enough you’ll at least get the general idea. I’ll try to replace them eventually.

I would welcome any feedback – or questions if you need clarification – of any part of the process so that I can make this as helpful as possible to anyone in the future.

With that, here goes.
Quick recap: What is a diaper clutch?
(aka a fabric diaper case. Is” diaper clutch” trademarked?)

A handy (and stylish!) little pouch to compactly store a spare diaper or two and package of wipes, particularly when you’re sick of carrying a diaper bag but you’re still in need of these critical supplies. This serves a couple of purposes: to keep diapers from getting squashed and wadded-up at the bottom of your purse, and makes it more convenient to hand all the supplies over to your husband at once when you’re out in public and a diaper needs changing! :)

Getting started:
(Before you start, I always suggest reading through the whole tutorial to get an idea of what you’ll be doing. Cut’s down on the mistakes. Also might not be a bad idea to make a practice clutch first before you cut-up your favorite Amy Butler fabric.)

Supplies: 8″x 23″ piece of two coordinating fabrics
2″ of velcro

From outer fabric cut: one piece 8″x 10″ and one piece 8″x 13″
From lining fabric cut: one piece 8″x 10″ and one piece 8″x 13″ (same as outer fabric)

Pin the ‘loop’ side of the velcro to the front of the smaller outside fabric.
I measured 3″ in and 2 1/2″ down. [see picture]

Then pin the hook side of the velcro to the large piece of lining fabric – 3″ in and 1″ down.Sew on the velcro. (Sew it securely – don’t forget to back stitch.)
To create the closure flap, I then stacked the two large coordinating fabrics back to back with the smaller front fabric on top, lining up the bottom edges. Line up your ruler at point *A -the top of the front of the clutch – and move the ruler in one inch on the diagonal to point *B.
Cut
Repeat on the other side. (Ignore my pinned velcro.)

(This part of the process is far less critical and there’s room for lots of variation here, so feel free to be creative.)

Round of the bottom edges. I used a really high-tech tool called an upside-down-applesauce-cup.
Match-up fronts and backs of outside and lining fabrics, lining-up bottom edges. Sew together front and back of each group around the sides using a 3/8″ seam allowance. Clip curves.
Trim the lining fabric closer to the seam.
Turn the lining fabric right-side-out and put it inside the outside fabric pouch so that right-sides are matched-up together.
Pin around the flap and inside edges. Starting from about 1.5″ from the right seam stitch the lining and front fabrics together around the top of the front of the bag and around the flap edge.
(You are going to use the area left open for turning the bag right-side out and will later top-stitch it closed.)
This is the trickiest part. When sewing you’re going to put the throat of the machine ‘inside’ the ‘inside-out’ bag. I used a 3/8″ seam. [Sorry about the bad picture!]
This is what the stitching will look like when it’s done.
Clip top corners.
Turn both bags right-side out through the opening and tuck the lining inside the outer bag.
Carefully press the top flap.
and top-stitch around the outer edge of the bag and flap, closing the opening used for turning right-side-out.
Voila. A lovely baby gift. Here is mine with a coordinating nursing cover. A long over-due gift for a friend. Finally done! And so is this tutorial.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I made one for myself! It’s awesome. The tutorial was super easy to follow, thank you! I might make a bigger one for when the diapers get a little bigger, mine fit 4 size 2 diapers perfectly.

Can’t thank you enough for this. I love it! Just made one for an upcoming shower and am thrilled. I think I will make a few more tonight for myself, my twins diapers are always a crumpled mess and the original ones I had purchased don’t fit their current size four diapers! Thanks again, the tutorial rocked!

Hi Amy,<br /><br />I found you from May Giveaway Day hosted by Sew Mama Sew and so glad that I did. This tutorial is great and I was able to make the clutch in less than an hour. Being the newbie sewer that I am, the only difficulty that I had was sewing the lining flap and the opening (before you flip it inside out). I was confused: do I sew the from the start line to the side and stop then

Hi there Rhiannon&#39;s Mom. Not sure how to contact you, so hopefully you&#39;ll see this.<br /><br />That is definitely the trickiest part of the process – and the hardest to demonstrate with out video. Maybe I should add video? Hmmm, that would be a good idea. But to answer your question, yes, you do sew one continuous stitch all the way around the front, sew 3/8&quot; past the front, raise

5. keren says

great tutorial! thanks!<br />just made one for a not-so-close relative who is giving birth at this very moment :)

Great tute. I have just enough left over fabric from a carseat canopy to make a matching diaper clutch for a friend. Perfect tute. Thanks!

SUPER cute pattern! I made one in about an hour yesterday morning before a baby shower at noon! Thanks for the pics and super easy instructions! Love this blog! I&#39;m LDS too! :)

This is a great tutorial! I just linked to it on my blog. I&#39;ve got a little one on the way and the older one is still in diapers. This would sure be helpful so I&#39;m not lugging around 2 bags!<br />-Sarah from Create Studio<br />www.createstudio.blogspot.com

Thanks Amy for the awesome Tutorial. Just found it the other day even though you posted it over a year ago… how cool is that?! I also linked to you over on my blog. :)

I was trying to figure out how to create a diaper clutch on my own and decided I should just search for a tutorial. Your photos and instructions were just what I needed for getting over the mental block that was keeping me from starting!<br />I&#39;m posting what I created on my blog tonight and linking back to you.<br />Thank you – thank you – thank you!<br /><br />

Hi – love this diaper clutch! Very easy to make. I just had one comment – I thought the lining should be a hair smaller than the outer pouch. I made it following your instructions and the lining is bunching up too much. Has anyone else had the same issue? This happens to be one of my first sewing projects, so I could be doing something wrong… Other than that one issue, it came out really pretty

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I am making so many of these for it seems all my family is having babies this year. :) I&#39;m learning a lot along the way, but you definitely wrote the tutorial for us beginners. :D Thanks!!

Awesome tutorial! Thank you, and I am just now reaching the stage where all I want to carry is a diaper or two, and the wipes. Great timing!!!! Thanks

14. Anonymous says

I found that it helped to stop stitching the side seams about 3/8&quot; from the top. That helped not to get the bunching when stitching the 2 pieces together.

Just finished it and found that on the next one I will put the velcro on the top fabric, sideways (90degrees), in order to allow the pouch to close even if you put longer item (like the ipad!). I cut 2 sets so it will be for the next one. Thanks for the pictures, and the tutorial.

16. Anonymous says

Great instructions! I have made a few of these and have been happy with the way they turned out. Fat quarters are perfect if you want a pouch that is a little larger to grow as the diapers do! Thanks for the tutorial!

I just made one for a friend, and it was a cinch for this very-beginner sewer! Thanks for the great tutorial–it&#39;s a perfect gift for an acquaintance!

Hi!<br />I&#39;m not speak English very well but I understant the tutorial!!! I did the quilterthe diaper yesterday and it&#39;s very easy!!!! <br />Thank you Amy!<br /><br />