The 32-minute messenger bag tutorial

This little bag pattern is “easy-peasy-chunky-cheesy” as my 5-year-old likes to say.
You will feel so proud of yourself when it’s done in no time!

For an adult/bigger-kid size bag the fabric requirement are 2 coordinating half yards.
For a smaller child’s bag you will only need two pieces at 3/8 of a yard.

I will demonstrate with the larger bag
and give the measurements for the child’s bag at the end.

First: from both half-yard pieces, cut a 4″ strip off one end.
This will be for your strap.
Cut the remaining piece down to 14″ x 30″.
(You can save the remnant for a pocket, if you want.)

If you are going to put a pocket on, do it now. To make the pocket, fold the remnant in half and sew three sides shut with a 1/4″ seam, leaving an opening to turn right side out. Clip corners and turn right side out. Press, tucking edges in at opening. Fold outside bag piece in half and center the pocket where it will appear on finished bag. Pin in place and sew close to the edge along three sides, sewing opening shut as you go.

Now on to the bag: Place two 14″ x 30″ pieces right sides together and pin together at ends.
Sew 3/8″ seams on either end.
Now take to your ironing board.
Bring the seams to the center and match them up.
Press seams open.
You will now have your lining-piece folded in half on one side and
your outside piece folded in half on the other.

Pin open sides together, leaving a 3″ opening on one side of the lining fabric
for turning right side out. Sew 3/8″ seams on both sides.

Turn bag right-side out and top-stitch opening closed. It will look like a flat, empty pillow.Tuck lining fabric inside the outside bag fabric.
Now it’s starting to look like an actual bag!
To make the band of trim around the top of the bag,
roll the lining fabric above the bag about 1/4″.
Pin to hold fabrics in place and press.
Top stitch around the edge of the bag at the top of the outer fabric
AND at the top of the lining fabric.
This is easy, and it will give the bag a nice, finished edge.
Now, place both strap pieces right sides together
and sew down both long sides using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
Turn right-side out, press, and top-stitch along both edges.
Now is the time to decide how long you want your bag strap.
(This strap is meant to be worn diagonally across the chest.)
For an adult, it’s about the right length as it is.
For an older child, you might want to cut-off a few inches.

If you leave one end with selvage edges on the end you don’t
need to do anything to the strap before you start sewing.
If you cut-off one end, you may want to tuck raw edges under and press.

Now, pinch the end of the strap in half to find the center.

Line up that pinched crease with the seam on the side of the bag.
Place end of strap about two inches inside the bag.
Pin the strap in place
And sew around the edges and along the top of the bag,
creating a rectangle to secure the strap in place.
Repeat with other side.
And Voila! You are seriously done. Pretty awesome, huh?
To make a child size bag cut a 2 1/2″ strip off the side of both pieces.
Then cut the bag pieces 11″ x 24″.
Repeat all the same steps.
(You will probably want to shorten the strap.)
These are so fast, you really might get addicted. And the possibilities are endless.
We used a heavier, canvas fabric on the cowboy bag.
The other bag is made from the Wonderland by MoMo collection for Moda.

Have fun!

(and please feel free to ask any questions so I can clarify these instructions where needed!)

**A couple of people have asked where this fabric is from:
It is part of the Wonderland by MoMo collection for Moda, Spring 2009.

GARI
    April 15, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Excellent!

Shannon
    April 15, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Another great tutorial! Thanks for sharing and for having lots of photos in your tutes. I need them:)

AmyF Hackworth
    April 15, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I love this! I can’t wait to make a bag. This is so great, Amy. What a fun project.<br /><br />And I like "Easy peasy, lemon squeezy," but "chunky cheesy" adds a nice variety. 🙂

Stephanie
    April 16, 2009 at 7:19 am

This is terrific! Thank you for sharing such detailed and thoughtful tutorials. I love makings bags, and this one will be well used!

Lisa @ Life with 4!
    April 16, 2009 at 7:50 am

these would make great library bags. Maybe I should make one for me and each of the kids for our library outings. That way I don’t have to stack and balance all the books to carry. <br />YOu have sooooo much talent!

Nedra
    April 16, 2009 at 8:23 am

Great Tutorial. I love the picture of your son watching every step.

nikki
    April 16, 2009 at 11:52 am

great tutorial–thanks, amy! i love the detail at the top to let the lining show through.

V and Co.
    April 16, 2009 at 2:39 pm

nicely done!

The Tregeagles
    April 16, 2009 at 3:22 pm

You’re so creative, this bag would be perfect for church!

dedesmith32
    April 16, 2009 at 3:56 pm

This is so cool! I wish I could sew! Can you make me some? LOL

Cami
    April 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm

You’re Brilliant! Thanks for the great tutorial, I can’t wait to get started!

GARI
    April 16, 2009 at 7:07 pm

This sounds doable. Thanks.

merathon
    April 16, 2009 at 7:18 pm

oooooh– i really want to make this! can you tell me what the finished measurements are for both the adult and child size bags?? thanks!

josieposie
    April 16, 2009 at 7:33 pm

great idea! any clues as to where to purchase that cute fabric?

Amy@Let's Explore
    April 16, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Awesome! I foresee a weekend project… 🙂

Alicia
    April 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I’m wondering about where to get that fabric as well. Is it moda?

Natalie
    April 17, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Hey Amy! I just made one of these and it turned out great. Plus, it really only took 32 minutes (or would have if I had no been distracted by a baby). <br />Thanks for sharing!

Michele
    April 19, 2009 at 8:26 pm

this is great! thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I can’t wait to make one. It’s a great idea for all those random scraps of leftover fabric…or an excuse to browse the Hancock Fabric’s scrap bin!

Natalie
    April 21, 2009 at 7:29 am

Very Cute! Nice tutorial too! Thanks

Simone de Klerk
    April 21, 2009 at 11:03 am

This is just waht I needed, for a bag I am making for a swap. Great and clear pictures. Thank you so much!

Mary O
    April 21, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Amy you are awesome. My Stephanie just sent Diary of a Quilter to me and I’m so impressed but not surprised.

Kelli
    April 23, 2009 at 5:56 am

Chunky Cheesy! That’s great! Really nice tutorial. Thank you!

Tissi
    April 25, 2009 at 4:03 am

Really great tutorial!!!!<br />i think i’ll ad ti on my blog and i’ll try to make one bag ;)<br />thank you so much ,also for your lovely blog!<br />Simona

Gigi
    April 28, 2009 at 6:24 pm

This was a great tutorial! It’s just too bad I like the bag so much… I’ve decided to make eight of them for an Indiana Jones birthday party for my soon-to-be five year old! Wish me luck.

Etti
    May 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm

I have one comment. the ends of the straps should not be visible. I sew them to the bag in an earlier step. Etti from Israel

María
    June 15, 2009 at 8:58 am

Thank you!! I love your designs. They are very inspirating! <br />I am a spanish mother who is learning how to quilt and I was lucky to find your blog!!!<br />plantabosques.blogspot.com<br /><br />María

DIY Bag Lover
    July 1, 2009 at 1:13 am

I have listed your wonderful tutorial in http://diybaglover.blogspot.com/<br />Hope u dont mind =)

Herry
    July 2, 2009 at 12:46 am

Wow great I have no word to say that<br /><br /><a href="http://www.gotapparel.com/p-116_1114-anvil-messenger-bag.aspx&quot; rel="nofollow">http://www.gotapparel.com/p-116_1114-anvil-messenger-bag.aspx</a&gt;

I wanna be creative
    July 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm

I haven&#39;t sewn much lately, but immediately started again once I saw this tutorial. Thanks so much. Pic at http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwannabcreative/3770591343/

KasCssAceZjs
    August 22, 2009 at 5:45 am

I&#39;m a new sewer and needed a bag to go down town germany but had no patterns. And then pops up yours the same day I needed it. <br /><br />Wow your tut is superb. I was never once confused like I so often am on other tuts. Thank you so much for this

123 123
    November 21, 2009 at 6:07 am

Cool post as for me. I&#39;d like to read more about this theme.<br />By the way look at the design I&#39;ve made myself <a href="http://www.admirableescorts.com/young_escorts_london.html&quot; rel="nofollow">Young escort</a>

T. Luna
    December 29, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Kinda late in the game here, but this tutorial was awesome. Thanks! It was so easy to make.<br /><br />http://theincidentalcraftster.blogspot.com/

Amy Renee
    January 2, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Just wanted to let you know how much I love this bag. This has become my &quot;go-to&quot; gift for so many different occasions. I&#39;ve made several as gifts for little kids in all different shapes and sizes (depending on what scraps I have), and I&#39;ve got to say, each one is so awesome. The first one I made was earlier this year when I first dusted off my sewing machine. It took A LOT

Tasha
    April 1, 2010 at 9:01 am

I just found your blog from V and Co. I am completely in love with it! I just spent the last little while growing through a ton of your posts. I just love this messengar bag. Love it. I am going to blog about it (giving the credit back to you of course) I really love the way you have made it. I hope to try one soon!

madebymj
    June 20, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I love this tutorial. It really did only take around 30 mins. Thanks so much.

amy
    February 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Can you tell me the measurements to cut the straps? I&#39;m using fabric I already have, so it&#39;s not necessarily in 1/2 yard dimensions.

amy smart
    February 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm

@amy – I didn&#39;t have an email to reply to your question – hopefully you&#39;ll see this here.<br /><br />I cut my straps 4&quot; wide x width of the fabric. Then I shortened them, depending on the size of the person the bag was for. Sew the strap to one side, and then measure and trim before you sew the other side.<br /><br />Hope that helps!

Caca
    April 5, 2011 at 3:46 am

thanks for the tutorial. love the bag, and the fabric was nice too.

Marjorie
    June 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I love fun and fast projects like this one! So cute! 🙂

Mandy
    August 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I&#39;m planning on making one this week. Can you tell me the finished size of the bigger bag? Thanks so much!

Brecca Theele
    August 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I made this today and it was fun and easy!

Annemarie
    August 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Thanks Amy for making this so easy! It took me more than 32 minutes the first time, but next time it&#39;ll be a breeze. Love your quilt tutorials too. You&#39;ve given me the confidence to start. Made one last week and already started on my 2nd one. Have a great weekend!! God Bless!

Kim
    February 16, 2012 at 1:32 am

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I have been working on a 4 square heart quilt, and I was having some trouble matching up the center seams of each heart block on each row. I needed a break and needed a quick project that I could be successful at before returning to the 4 square heart project. This messenger bag was perfect! I love the bag, and can&#39;t wait to make my daughters one!

Colette Jo
    March 23, 2012 at 7:04 am

This was my first sewing machine project!! I&#39;m so proud of myself and so thankful to you for sharing this!! I learned a lot from this project like what I need to do better next time and how much fun sewing is!! It took me longer than 30 minutes due to my beginner status and the fact that I used fleece as my outside fabric. That gave me some issues to figure out with my machine. Once I

Mama G
    April 21, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I just made this as a last minute birthday present for a little boy-and it was very quick as promised. It turned out so great-thanks for the tutorial!

Maham Arshad
    July 23, 2012 at 11:47 am

Gotta love it! amazing.<br />I also made a bag. check out mine :)<br />http://lavagirlart.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-diy-girly-sling-bag.html

Blooms And Bugs
    October 24, 2012 at 7:58 am

This is so cute. I featured it here:<br />http://sewprettysewfree.blogspot.com/2012/10/messenger-bag-sewing-tutorial.html<br />Thanks,<br />Anshu

Bubbles
    May 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm

how big is it in diameter. I want to see if I will be able to fit my tablet in it

alittlebirdmademe
    June 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Hi<br />I like this tutorial, so have linked to it on my blog – http://alittlebirdmademe.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/list-of-30-free-bag-tutorials-and-patterns/<br />Thank you for sharing it!

Alina John
    April 1, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I continuously continue coming to your website once more simply in case you have posted new contents.<br /><a href="https://www.facebook.com/bubblegumcasting&quot; rel="nofollow">is bubblegum casting legitimate</a>

Sew a Bag (100+ free bag patterns and tutorials)Sew Some Stuff
    March 31, 2016 at 6:55 am

[…] The 32 minute messenger bag tutorial […]

Project Design Team Wednesday~Mod Messenger Bag | Riley Blake Designs
    June 2, 2016 at 3:32 am

[…] for an even easier beginner version (without the front flap) I made a second bag using my original 32-minute Messenger Bag tutorial. Plus, it was a fun excuse to play with more of the Mod Studio prints! Posted on February 11, […]

Návod jak ušít kabelku - Prošikulky.cz
    July 12, 2016 at 1:09 pm

[…] návod zde […]

Easy Mod Messenger Bag tutorial - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    November 14, 2016 at 1:13 pm

[…] If you are looking for an even easier beginner version (without the front flap) I made a second bag using my original 32-minute Messenger Bag tutorial. […]