Oh to dream

This week on the Purl bee blog there was information about Denyse Schmidt’s Improvisational Workshops at her studio in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Unfortunately for me this is a little too far away to attend.
But I think it would be fascinating. I love these images from her website. I’ve always been more of a traditional quilter in style. Until this past year. I’ve become mesmerized by this less-traditional, Gee’s-Bend, Denyse-Schmidt look. I think that the quilting-blogging community has inspired me in this direction as well. I’ve only really tried it with my Baskets and Arcadia quilts. And even then, I was a bit tame. I stuck to one color scheme or fabric collection. I’m dying to do more.

I’m also finding myself really drawn to the bright colors.

If you are like me and can’t go hang out with Denyse yourself, you might like reading about Kacie’s experience doing so on her blog Quiltivate. (She also has a great catalog of traditional quilt blocks.) This photo is from her class. Doesn’t it look amazing?

Comments

I am so with you! I love Denyse’s stuff. I have one of her books and I love to look and drool. I have one quilt picked out for my bed that is on the agenda (someday). When I showed it to Mr. Cactus he was thumbs up and has even asked how long it will be. I have so many lined up that my answer is always "who knows". Meanwhile, I just keep looking and drooling.

Good Morning Amy!<br /><br />I have also found that my style/taste in fabric has changed. When I first started quilting, I was drawn to more traditional colors and designs. <br /><br />Now, I love BOLD and BRIGHT colors. I don’t know but it might have to do with the season. I am also drawn to simplistic designs that highlight the fabric.<br /><br />I also am too far away to go to Denyse’s

I love Denyse’s quilts…the simple and clean lines. I just recently got into the brighter fabrics and I love all the solids she use in her quilts. Thanks for sharing these cute pictures. I am just drooling about her quilts.

Great post! I hopped right on over to Purl Bee and then to Denyse’s site. Bridgeport is only 45 minutes from me! Hmmm… you have me thinking I may just have to take a class. I, like you am also captivated by improv and that is why I participated in Jacquies Project Improv. Although, I will have to save for a little while before I can take one of her classes.

Denyse’s book Quilts was one of the first I bought. I still love it and I’m a fan of her fabrics as well. The funny thing is that I like both the traditional as the modern quilts. I sometimes feel a bit split. My taste in fabrics has also changed due to all the input on blogs. Sadly we can hardly buy any of the lovely designer fabrics in our quiltstores, so I’m happy with all the gorgeous on-line

Thanks for the shout-out, Amy! We made a vacation out of my trip to Denyse’s workshop and it was completely worth the trip. I hope you can make it someday!