Works in Progress

Boy, do I have a ton of WIP(s). (How do you pluralize an abbreviation?)

More than usual, I think. The store I work for, American Quilting in Orem, Utah is part of the Wasatch Front shop hop mid-way through June. And I get to make 3 new quilts for the store before then. And I’d better get a jump on them now because I will soon have twice as many kids at home all day. πŸ™‚

I am so excited for my first little project because I get to use the above Jelly Roll and Honey Bun! American Jane. I know, I’m so lucky. I think I’ll make one for myself in the process. πŸ™‚

Next, I’m doing a quilt with a bunch of Amy Butler fabric. I know! Working with cool fabric that I didn’t even have to pay for. Some how I didn’t get a picture of the third pile, but it’s a more traditional, summery-looking table topper from this issue of APQ.
(I started writing this post and realized I didn’t have the picture, but I’m too lazy to go take one, wait for it to load, etc. because the kids will be home from school any minute.)
But I will show you this pile. These blocks are from the Block-of-the-Month quilt at American Quilting. We are finishing-up next month (and currently taking sign-ups for next year’s quilt that starts in July, if you’re in Utah and you’re interested.) Do you like my Dresden Plate? I feel so cool since these blocks are suddenly everywhere. But I really want to make one that looks like Vanessa’s or Sherri’s with bright, retro looking colors. Mmm.

And speaking of sign-ups for this year’s BOM here is a conversation that one of my co-workers had with a woman who called for information. The quilt is always a mystery quilt, but Amy, the owner and designer, always gives a theme. (And the quilt always turns out amazing.) This year was Americana, last year was spring, year before was winter, etc. So here is my co-worker, Gloria’s conversation:

Gloria: “Well, it’s always a mystery quilt, but this year the theme is a garden theme with a more primitive motif.”

Lady-on-the-phone: (after a long pause) “You mean . . . like . . . dinosaurs?”

May 13, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I love the shop hop! I usually go with my mom! I get to machine quilt a lot of shop samples that my mom makes for Gracie Lou’s in Salem, UT. I wish I got to keep some of them!

Funky Kim
    May 13, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Obviously I must sign up for the dinosaur quilt! LOL

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    May 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Very cute dresden! And lovely fabric for shop samples.

May 13, 2009 at 3:58 pm

LOL!! I would love a dino quilt. I just can’t imagine Amy doing it! I’m coming in today to sign up!

May 13, 2009 at 3:59 pm

So much lovely fabric for shop sample quilts!!!

May 13, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Oh, that’s awesome to know you work at that shop! My mom was just there the other day and said she loves it! I need to make a trip down there I think! πŸ™‚ And yes, lucky you to get to make fun quilts with free fabric! I made a quilt recently with some Daisy Chain in that colorway and I LOVE it! πŸ™‚

May 13, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I am a new reader to your blog and have to tell you how much I do enjoy it. I am especialy touched by your words to your mother for Mother’s Day. As a mother of 8 and one who stayed home to raise my children when it wasn’t cool to do so, I can tell you how very heartwarming it is to hear what it means to your children after they are grown. I wish more young women today had the option to stay home

V and Co.
    May 13, 2009 at 4:59 pm

okay now see i’m sooo upset that i’m not near there because i so want to do aq’s block of the month! so far i’ve seen the last three years and have loved every single one. amy is down right amazing! sigh…maybe i’ll have to do it via mail next year?

dotti white
    May 13, 2009 at 5:49 pm

I absolutely love your dresden! I think the colors are beautiful. I have to admit, though, that I haven’t seen one that I don’t like. I am looking forward to our shop hop which is towards the end of June! I can’t wait. It will be right after school is out and so much fun to see so many fun new ideas! Have a great week!

May 13, 2009 at 5:53 pm

It is a good thing to have lots of WIPs, that way you always have something to occupy your time. That is besides your kids.

May 14, 2009 at 4:58 am

Great quote! "Yes, Maam, dinosaurs are very primitive. And if you find any in your garden just let us know."<br />I miss shop hop and have it on my calendar. I’ll see if I can drive up North and squeeze in the time to go this year.

The Quilt Buddy
    May 14, 2009 at 8:05 am

Oh I can’t wait to see how your samples turned out!<br /><br />Dinosaurs, hmmmm!<br /><br />Have a good day!

Lisa @ Life with 4!
    May 14, 2009 at 8:12 am

ha ha … dinosaurs.<br />I love the green in the fabrics. so springy and fresh looking.<br />Are dresden plates difficult to do? I love the look, but it’s one of those that scare me a bit.

May 14, 2009 at 8:43 am

Amy! I crossed the literal street … twice! And neither time were you working there, but I got a gift card for my MIL, so encounters are inevitable. I loved the blue/brown/star-turned-diagonal quilt on the board in the back. And I had a <I>funny</I> encounter with a store clerk that I’ll send you under separate cover – it’s entirely possible that we were speaking Martian to each other.

May 14, 2009 at 12:22 pm

You DO have the best job on the planet! Oh, how I wish I lived closer to cool fabric shops. Hey, how many inches long is your Dresden? I’ve always wanted to try those.

May 14, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Love the fabric shop conversation…and lucky you with so many fun projects!!! I would love to make quilts for a shop! I love the Dresden block as well! I’m trying to plan a family trip up that way during the shop hop…one year I just lucked into it picking up my daughter from a basketball camp…and the shop hop was going on! But I only got to 3 shops that year…I’d love to get to all of