Living in the moment

Last summer at Little Sebago lake in Maine

Summer has been moving forward fast and furious around here. Sometimes it is downright overwhelming and exhausting as I try to cram things I want to do (like blogging or sewing or reading other people’s blogs or just lying on the grass eating Dove bars) on top of what needs to be done for 4 busy kids. Don’t get me wrong, summer has been a lot of fun with a lot of happy memories and many more still to make in these last 3 1/2 weeks before school starts. Seriously. Three and a half weeks.

I recently came across this quote again. It’s one that haunts me a little:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.”

–Anna Quindlen (Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11)

And so I am officially putting blogging and etsy-selling on the back burner until after school starts so I can do a little better at ‘living in the moment’. And I feel good about that decision. I’ll still throw out the random post now and then. And after debating the issue, I think I’ll keep my etsy store open (it’s such a pathetic little thing at the moment anyway), but only ship orders on a few pre-posted dates. I am planning a big etsy-update-extravaganza at the end of August though. It should be very thrilling.

In the meantime, friends, enjoy your own glorious remaining weeks of summer!

Comments

I look at my grandchildren and think &#39;when did they get that big&#39;! So, nothing changes we just have to learn the lessons and live one day at a time. Enjoy the rest of your school holidays, time enough for other things later. <br />Lizzie<br />XX

I love that quote! I try to tell myself to enjoy the moment as much as I can, but so often life just gets in the way. Thanks for the reminder! :0)

What a wonderful quote! With two grown boys-ages 24 and 19 summer is just not the same-they are off busy doing other things (with friends) and I often wonder how many of the &quot;in the moments&quot; I missed because of dinner, bath, etc. Enjoy the remainder of your summer!

I am just the opposite and looking forward to the fall….our daughter graduated from WVU in May is is taking off a year before going to grad school at GMU and so she is home and working and saving for that said grad school. These past 8 years (4 HS,4 college) have been so busy for her because of her involvement in Marching Band and classes so there are a lot of things we haven&#39;t been able

You sound like a fantastic mom who knows what to appreciate! Enjoy your girls! Time goes too quickly not to savour the moment!<br />Take care!<br />Paulette

I agree. those moments go too fast. And three weeks will speed by. We only have two weeks left, and I only have one child at home who will be a Senior this year. Where did the time go?

Thanks for reminding us about what is really important in life! I know that I am guilty of &quot;mommy scheduling&quot; and I forget to just haave fun. So thanks for reminding us!<br /><br />Enjoy the end of the summer!

I love that! I constantly have to remind myself that it is the journey, not the destination….Here&#39;s to enjoying the journey!

Good for you Amy. I love the quote. This summer has seriously gone by so fast! I look back on it and think what have we even done?! I&#39;d better use these last few weeks to live in the moment as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Please don&#39;t tell me school starts in less than 4 weeks. It&#39;s in the back of my head that it&#39;s coming fast but I&#39;m trying to be in denial right now and enjoy the moment. Lol! It&#39;s gone really fast and furious and we&#39;ve crammed in a lot of fun stuff and Kenna has played her heart out. We went school shopping yesterday with her friend and she seems excited and ready to take

Wonderful sentiments. Thanks for helping me to remember that. Time goes by so fast, sometimes I wish I could hang on to it a little bit longer. But there are great memories to cherish if we create them.

Yes, a wonderful quote and they grow so fast…..way too fast! I still remember when they were toddlers; I&#39;d daydream the day when they were old enough to do it all themselves. Shame on me!

Time does go by very fast. Seems like only a few years ago mine was just starting to walk now he&#39;s 18 and seems to be always walking out my door… enjoy your kids. They&#39;re the best thing to have happened to you.

I love that quote…thanks for sharing it again…I probably should hang it up somewhere so I can be reminded more often. Have a wonderful rest of the summer! I always look forward to your posts…but there is plenty of time for that in the fall!

Well I know that quote is true. I think all parents feel like we don&#39;t enjoy the moment quite enough. Unfortunately life is so daily that it becomes hard to do that many times. I found that once my kids got to about 10 time sped up. Weird. I know.