18 In my ramblings/ vintage

Summer Magic

It has been HOT around here. Monday we had the chance to spend the afternoon up Provo Canyon (about 15 minutes away from our house). What a perfect way to get out of the heat.
We went with my sister and brother-in-law to visit his grandparents at their cabin on a fork of the Provo River – just down the river actually from Sundance resort. This place wasn’t as glamorous as Sundance, but it had idyllic charm oozing out of every crevice. And the back deck is literally on the river!
The cabin was built in the 1960’s right next to the cabin built in the 1920’s where my brother-in-law’s grandmother spent all her summers growing up. And now in their nineties, these grandparents still spend every summer at Wildwood. (Is that the perfect name?)

It was absolute heaven – a hammock and a cool canyon breeze off the water.

The river was moving fast, but there was a little dammed-off area where the kids could play. That water was cold! All snow run-off. Most years they borrow a few geese from a farmer friend to come spend the summer and add to the charm of the place but this year, thanks to the heavy snow and wet May/June, the water has been too high and swift for the geese.
To make it even more enchanting to my kids, there was a table with scraps of wood and hammers and nails and they just went to town building sculptures.
But the cherry on top was a tree house/screen porch over looking the water which you could access by a ladder OR from a bridge from the loft room of the cabin.

I loved the glass on the screen shelves.
This sign came from the little store that used to be part of the little cabin enclave.
The interior was awesome. Combination rustic Americana, German antique woodcarving, and 1980’s kitsch.
Here is a sample of the quilts on the beds in the loft.I love this old one with the orange off-set squares! I think something like this would be awesome with vintage sheets!And how about that pillow case made out of an old flour sack?Perfection.

And speaking of Summer Magic, does anyone remember the old Hailey Mills Disney movie of that title? Not her very best, but still holds a certain place in my childhood nostalgia. In the summer we used to walk to our neighborhood convenience store and rent old Disney live-people movies, of which Hailey Mills frequented. Also classics like Follow Me Boys, Swiss Family Robinson, and The Happiest Millionaire. Might be time to track down some of those again.

Amy
    July 23, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Loving the glass on the shelves as well!

Kourtne
    July 23, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Small world…I grew up visiting Wildwood every summer myself. It is a magical place.

roseylittlethings
    July 23, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I want a place like that to go during the summers. Love it all, the quilts are fab!

DeeRoo
    July 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm

All those pictures are from your brother-in-laws grandparents place? Wow…that is awesome…you live in a beautiful state…our family went on an across the country trip to Montana in July 2001, stayed there for over a week and then on the way back to Virginia we decided to go to the Grand Canyon!;) So we went to Flaming Gorge, Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, Arches and Moab and of course Four

CJ
    July 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm

What a quaint place! Lovely quilts on the beds too. Follow Me Boys is a great movie! Summer Magic…well my daughter liked it anyway. 😉

Mauri
    July 23, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Looks absolutely lovely! I love old cabins. What a great place to get away to.

Kimberly
    July 23, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Just got caught up on your blog since our holidays… great reads and wonderful pics! Keep it all coming…

Lynnie
    July 23, 2009 at 7:18 pm

That place reminds me of the Maggie B. (the book.) I'm glad you had a fun adventure. See you soon!!!!

Cathy
    July 23, 2009 at 10:21 pm

That has to be &quot;Heaven on Earth&quot;. I would love everything about it. What a wonderful thing to be able to spend time there.<br />Cathy

Sherri
    July 23, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Looks like so much fun…and the quilts are perfect!

Dawn
    July 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Looks like a wonderful place for summer fun!!

The Quilt Buddy
    July 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Ahhhh…don&#39;t you jusst love lazy summer days!<br /><br />Who made all of those awesome quilts?<br /><br />Enjoy the rest of your time!

Lisa @ Life with 4!
    July 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm

you can&#39;t forget Pollyanna and my all-time-favorite that I know pretty much by heart…. The Parent Trap!!<br />that cabin looks so refreshing and perfect for a summer vacation. last summer we spent a weekend at a similar cabin at MT. Hood here in Oregon. so much fun!

Katy
    July 24, 2009 at 1:29 am

what an amazing place! And those quilts….I&#39;m in LOVE!!!

Petit Debutant
    July 24, 2009 at 7:22 am

Love the cabin! My hubby and I went to BYU and used to hike, fish, and bike up the Provo Canyon. He was so jealous reading this post with me and was so in love with the cabin and location. Thanks for sharing!

Pamela
    July 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm

How I dream of a woodsy cabin, with tons of beds and quilts. Sounds wonderful. Loved all the quilts.

JJ
    July 26, 2009 at 8:42 am

Really, I just want to move in! What a fabulous, fabulous spot!

Laura-Lu
    July 30, 2009 at 4:27 pm

This is so funny amy cause I was planning on doing a summer magic post on my blog a couple weeks ago but I never got around to it. I&#39;m sad I missed out on the Wildwood experience. Maybe next time.