16 In inspiration/ my ramblings

I love Nie!

The timing is too much, so I won’t blame you if you think I’m making this up.

So there I was today at Target with my 3-year-old, pulling out my Kashi coupons that the “free-example” (Smart-children lingo for “free sample”) ladies had just given me, when I looked at the aisle next to me and saw Nie and Mr. Nielsen (with their boys.)

If you are new to Nie (pronounced ‘nee’) let me give you some background. Stephanie Nielsen and her husband Christian were in a small-plane that crashed at the end of summer 2008. Both of them were severely burned and Nie was in a coma for months. Her story as a woman who simply loved the joys of being a wife and mother have become deeply poignant as she has struggled to overcome her drastic burns and injuries. Her strength in adversity has inspired me profoundly.

Just this past weekend I told Allison how her story of accosting the Nielsens at Costco cracked me up! but also made me wonder what I would do in the same situation. And here I was.

once again I have no photographic proof of this encounter

For a split second I thought about not bothering them, but then I knew I would always regret not telling this woman in person how much her life has inspired me. Inspired me to be a more patient mother, a more loving wife, a more faithful woman, and to stop whining ever.

So I approached her – and of course I couldn’t say any of the things I was really thinking because by then I was trying so hard not to cry. So I just told her that I think she is amazing.

And she was beyond gracious. Not to mention stylish, glowing, and beautiful. She’s the real deal.

I was totally teary as I headed to my car and started loading my groceries when I realized in all my excitement, I had left behind the microwave I’d just paid for. So we high-tailed it back into Target where the employees were looking at me like I was a bit daft.

But I was actually glad I had to go back because I got to say Hello again. I had realized as I walked to the car the first time that I wished I had told Mr. Nielsen how impressed I am with him as a father and husband. What a better place this world with be if more men treated women and their families as he does. So I accosted them again and they were equally gracious the second time.

If you haven’t read Nie for sometime, you need to visit. I bawled the day she posted the first picture of herself post-crash. This post moved me too.

Quite an amazing past couple of days. So what if a crazy loan-officer drew our file? It has been so wonderful to meet in real life many people I have admired from afar. Report on Heather Bailey tomorrow!

And just in case it buys me any credibility, Andrea Boccelli was in Utah this weekend recording for his Christmas album with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and I did NOT run into him. Even though that would have been really nice too.

vanessa
    September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm

That is just wonderful 🙂 I can't wait till I run into her at Costco or Target 🙂

Sherri
    September 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I would have had to talk to them too…their lives are so inspiring to me! But yes, I'm glad you didn't meet Andrea Boccelli…!

Dawn
    September 15, 2009 at 5:23 am

Amy, Thanks for posting about Nie. I didn't know of her story and have never read her blog ~ I really needed that today!

Jackie
    September 15, 2009 at 6:05 am

Thanks for introducing me to Nie. I really did not know of her blog and I can see why her life inspires you.

Petit Debutant
    September 15, 2009 at 6:29 am

I can't read Nie without crying or taking a good look at my life. I think I would have just mumbled something foolish while bawling the whole time

The Quilt Buddy
    September 15, 2009 at 7:46 am

They are an amazing family and I always cry when I read their blog. They have such strength that I wish could be channelled to everyone! How lucky you are to have met them in person!

Laura
    September 15, 2009 at 8:57 am

And don't you love that quote she posted with her first picture AC?!?

makeitdo
    September 15, 2009 at 10:29 am

I am always inspired by Nie. Her blog always has a way of putting my life into perspective. Thanks for sharing. And good luck with your move. all the best, Calli

angela
    September 15, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Wow, she is so amazing and wonderful, have been following her story for the last year. I wouldn't have know what to say, that's for sure. I'm glad you were able to talk with her, even for a second. I'm sure some of her grace can't help but spilling over onto the people around her!

Liz and Scott
    September 15, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I love Nie. If I could meet anyone, it would be her & her family. They are so inspirational.

Kris
    September 15, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Thanks for this post. I didn't know about Nie until today and spent most of the day inspired reading her and her sister's blogs. What an incredible woman, husband and family.

Di~
    September 15, 2009 at 9:32 pm

That's great! I've thought how it would have been neat to live down there,and show up to hike the Y mountain with them when they did it in August. Even my 14 year old son is interested in her blog posts when I read it.

Trisha
    September 15, 2009 at 11:18 pm

How lucky you were to meet her. I don't think I could have left without giving her a hug. I bawled when she posted her first post crash picture. Puts it in perspective doesn't it.

Cynthia
    September 16, 2009 at 5:52 am

Hi Amy, I would be overcome if I saw them also. I am a follower of Nie's blog as well, and I always wonder what I would do to….

Hannah S
    September 16, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I gushed the first time I met her too. I could feel myself blushing. She really is genuine though.<br /><br />On another subject….I have a question. I read your blog regularly even though I know nothing about quilting. Could you help me? My MIL is making a baby quilt for my little girl due in Jan. I want her to use two fabrcis that I love: Aviary by Joel Dewberry for Westminster – Rose Damask/

ThePhantomMoon
    September 22, 2009 at 6:52 pm

What a beautiful story! You did a great job and I&#39;m so jealous you got to meet her. I&#39;ve been following her story as well and would have loved to tell her how she&#39;s become an inspiration as well. Then again I&#39;m bad at things like that and am way too emotional – I probably would have just thrown myself at her and started crying 🙂