A new quilt

Remember when this was a blog about quilting?

Well, I finally have a new quilt to share. This one has been in the works for a while now.

Three years ago I made a baby quilt for American Quilting with some adorable retro-looking Fireman prints by Alexander Henry. I kept my own pieces and decided to save them to make a crib-sized quilt a little later. And it was one of those rare cases of being glad I waited because I no longer loved some of the prints I originally used. Instead I dipped into my American Janes which matched perfectly. (I love that Dalmatian print too!)

So this spring, with my little guy about to turn 3 and a lover of all things Fireman, I decided to pull out those pieces and finally finish that quilt. Which I did, except for the binding. My son loved it and carried it around for months without a binding. Then, during these last couple of weeks with moving delays and all my fabric and sewing stuff packed away, I needed some therapy and took the opportunity to finally bind this quilt.

The back.
Here is a close-up of a few pictures from the back.
Don’t you just love those happy little firemen and their mascot dog?
And now here is the quilt in its new home. The three-year-old graduated to the toddler bed when we moved. (Remember the bed here?) The pillow case is a thrifted vintage Merrimeko trucks that I bought last year and have been excited to pull out.

My little guy is obsessed with firefighters. He’s been known to wear his fire-helmet to the library (which I totally loved. Years ago one of my girls used to wear a tutu over her clothes everywhere we went and I used to be somewhat embarrassed by that. You can tell that I’m mellowing as a mother because I got the biggest kick out of the fire-helmet wearing.)

One day we drove past some firefighters and their truck and my little guy said, “Mom! I’m going to be a fireman when I grow up. Or . . . a dentist-guy.” Hmm. So let me know if anyone comes across any cute, retro-dentist fabric. 🙂

Laurie Anne
    September 25, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Ahhh..the fireman stage…I remember that! My son will be 13 next week and wants to be a tattoo artist and rock star {drummer}…how I miss those days!<br /><br />I LOVE the quilt…the fabrics are clean, crisp and sweet. Your little guy is going to be really snuggly in his new bed.

CJ
    September 25, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Sweet quilt! I love that backing fabric. My son was going to drive a dump truck and live at home forever to take care of me. 😀 He is 17 now, I think he&#39;s changed his mind. :S

Mauri
    September 25, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Love that fireman fabric. Too cute! I love the colors, so bright and cheerful. Glad you got some sewing time in. For Chase it was all about the superheroes. He always wanted to wear his Ninja Turtle stuff around or a superhero cape. Makes me smile. 🙂

Beth
    September 25, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Cute fireman fabric!!! love the pillowcase too – my brother used to have the whole set!

Katy
    September 25, 2009 at 1:24 pm

what a cute bed. And an even cuter quilt!<br />American Jane fabrics are just perfect, aren&#39;t they?

Amy - Park City Girl
    September 25, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Adorable! Glad you had a little something for therapy in the midst of it all 🙂

Anonymous
    September 25, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Love love love the quilt and the fabrics…the backing is awesome too! Thanks for sharing.

Natalie
    September 25, 2009 at 4:23 pm

What a cute quilt! I hope everything went OK with the move. We&#39;d love to bring you dinner sometime or help out anyway we can.

Anonymous
    September 25, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Oh, this fabric is so cute. Do you have a more specific name for the line? When I googled firemen/Alexander Henry I got a bunch of bare musclely men that just isn&#39;t what I&#39;d choose for a boy. I just found out I&#39;m pregnant with #4 and my husband would so love this one to be a boy so just on the &#39;maybe&#39; I am thinking it would be nice to have some of this fabric on hand.<br />

Aunt Spicy
    September 25, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Seriously fabulous!!! You have such a great eye for patterns-colors! Adorable!

Patty
    September 25, 2009 at 5:28 pm

What a cute quilt!My son used to wear a speedo, a bathing cap and some goggles! He was going to be an olympic swimmer!

Anne
    September 25, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Those wonderful days of small children. Love your quilt and a welcome back to the world of quilting :0)

DeeRoo
    September 25, 2009 at 5:47 pm

You&#39;re sewing….Yeaaaaa! I had to wait 15 minutes for all the pictures to come up but it was worth it….wish my son was little!:) I&#39;m going to make him a quilt for xmas using some Michael Miller guitar fabric, greens and purples…just finshed a top for my daughter using REAL fabric that I bought from MY LQS!!! I bought all scraps, 9&quot;x45&quot; Fat Quarters for $2…did I already

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    September 25, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Love the quilt!<br />I wasn&#39;t a reader when you purchased the &quot;thrifted vintage Merrimeko truck pillowcase&quot; so it is SO fun to see it and go back where you said you didn&#39;t realize 1970&#39;s was vintage. Well, my son had that whole set (comforter, sheets, pillowcases and curtains and he was born in 1977. Seems like yesterday, but I now realize he&#39;ll be 32 next month. Still

paulette
    September 25, 2009 at 7:16 pm

How cute is that! He is going to love it!

Nedra
    September 25, 2009 at 8:22 pm

The fireman fabric on the back is perfect for the quilt. <br />When my son was little, he wanted to wear his batman PJ&#39;s everywhere. One day my daughter thought of a very creative way to get him to change into every day clothes, and it worked every time. She announced &quot;It&#39;s time to be Bruce Wayne!&quot;

Lori Holt
    September 25, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Oh so cute …and perfect for a new bed in a new home.<br />Sweet dreams to all of you!<br />x<br />lori

searchfamilies
    September 26, 2009 at 7:15 am

What a beautiful quilt i really like this very nice<br />Hugs Janice

angela
    September 26, 2009 at 8:10 am

Cute! I love how it is not ALL fireman. I&#39;m sure he&#39;ll be draggin this quilt around for a long time!

Danielle
    September 26, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Super cute! He&#39;ll always cherish and love that quilt I bet!

Sherri
    September 27, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Cute quilt…and I love the pillowcase…glad you&#39;re starting to get settled in!

Di~
    September 27, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I love that quilt! Very very nice. Where did you move from/to?

Kasi
    September 28, 2009 at 6:49 am

Amy! Your husband made a comment about your blog on facebook, so of course I had to peek! I love it! I am just starting to get obsessed with sewing…so you can count on me checking back often!<br /><br />Kasi Good<br /><br />PS our blog is http://www.kasigood.typepad.com

Evelyn
    September 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Oh, I love that quilt! Great colors, and I love the little bits f chenille. Fantastic!!