A new quilt

Remember when this was a blog about quilting?

Well, I finally have a new quilt to share. This one has been in the works for a while now.

Three years ago I made a baby quilt for American Quilting with some adorable retro-looking Fireman prints by Alexander Henry. I kept my own pieces and decided to save them to make a crib-sized quilt a little later. And it was one of those rare cases of being glad I waited because I no longer loved some of the prints I originally used. Instead I dipped into my American Janes which matched perfectly. (I love that Dalmatian print too!)

So this spring, with my little guy about to turn 3 and a lover of all things Fireman, I decided to pull out those pieces and finally finish that quilt. Which I did, except for the binding. My son loved it and carried it around for months without a binding. Then, during these last couple of weeks with moving delays and all my fabric and sewing stuff packed away, I needed some therapy and took the opportunity to finally bind this quilt.

The back.
Here is a close-up of a few pictures from the back.
Don’t you just love those happy little firemen and their mascot dog?
And now here is the quilt in its new home. The three-year-old graduated to the toddler bed when we moved. (Remember the bed here?) The pillow case is a thrifted vintage Merrimeko trucks that I bought last year and have been excited to pull out.

My little guy is obsessed with firefighters. He’s been known to wear his fire-helmet to the library (which I totally loved. Years ago one of my girls used to wear a tutu over her clothes everywhere we went and I used to be somewhat embarrassed by that. You can tell that I’m mellowing as a mother because I got the biggest kick out of the fire-helmet wearing.)

One day we drove past some firefighters and their truck and my little guy said, “Mom! I’m going to be a fireman when I grow up. Or . . . a dentist-guy.” Hmm. So let me know if anyone comes across any cute, retro-dentist fabric. :)

Comments

Ahhh..the fireman stage…I remember that! My son will be 13 next week and wants to be a tattoo artist and rock star {drummer}…how I miss those days!<br /><br />I LOVE the quilt…the fabrics are clean, crisp and sweet. Your little guy is going to be really snuggly in his new bed.

Sweet quilt! I love that backing fabric. My son was going to drive a dump truck and live at home forever to take care of me. :D He is 17 now, I think he&#39;s changed his mind. :S

Love that fireman fabric. Too cute! I love the colors, so bright and cheerful. Glad you got some sewing time in. For Chase it was all about the superheroes. He always wanted to wear his Ninja Turtle stuff around or a superhero cape. Makes me smile. :)

4. Anonymous says

Oh, this fabric is so cute. Do you have a more specific name for the line? When I googled firemen/Alexander Henry I got a bunch of bare musclely men that just isn&#39;t what I&#39;d choose for a boy. I just found out I&#39;m pregnant with #4 and my husband would so love this one to be a boy so just on the &#39;maybe&#39; I am thinking it would be nice to have some of this fabric on hand.<br />

You&#39;re sewing….Yeaaaaa! I had to wait 15 minutes for all the pictures to come up but it was worth it….wish my son was little!:) I&#39;m going to make him a quilt for xmas using some Michael Miller guitar fabric, greens and purples…just finshed a top for my daughter using REAL fabric that I bought from MY LQS!!! I bought all scraps, 9&quot;x45&quot; Fat Quarters for $2…did I already

Love the quilt!<br />I wasn&#39;t a reader when you purchased the &quot;thrifted vintage Merrimeko truck pillowcase&quot; so it is SO fun to see it and go back where you said you didn&#39;t realize 1970&#39;s was vintage. Well, my son had that whole set (comforter, sheets, pillowcases and curtains and he was born in 1977. Seems like yesterday, but I now realize he&#39;ll be 32 next month. Still

The fireman fabric on the back is perfect for the quilt. <br />When my son was little, he wanted to wear his batman PJ&#39;s everywhere. One day my daughter thought of a very creative way to get him to change into every day clothes, and it worked every time. She announced &quot;It&#39;s time to be Bruce Wayne!&quot;