19 In Uncategorized

A glimpse of today

Halloween costumes under construction.
Look at that little pile of Happy Camper fabric waiting patiently for its turn.

This can’t be good for pumpkins.

While we’re on the subject of Halloween, my assignment is to bring ‘finger-food’ to the 5th Grade (10 year olds) class party on Friday. I want to bring something besides candy because I figure there will be ample amounts of that this weekend. Does anyone have any good suggestions, links, ideas?

Nedra
    October 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Here is a link you might want to check out. I thought she had some great ideas for Halloween finger foods.<br />http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/10/easy-halloween-party-food.html

Sherri
    October 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I always used to sign up to take a veggie tray with dip…and I was always surprised how happy the kids were to see it and eat it! Yes, those quilt fabrics look like they&#39;re patiently waiting!

3 sweet P's
    October 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Can it be homemade or does it have to be pre-packaged? My kids school only lets store bought, but if you can do homemade, i would do mini cupcakes. they are perfect for lttle hands and who doesn&#39;t love cake? If you check out Martha Stewarts site she has TONS of fun little cupcake ideas.And good luck w/ the costumes!

Jackie
    October 28, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Ack, snow on the pumpkins definitely is not good. Bakerella has some cute treats that you might like to use for your 5th grader party. Here is the link: http://www.bakerella.com/

littlecumulus
    October 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I got lots of good ideas from the Better Homes &amp; Gardens web site last year…I was cooking for a house full of sorority girls. I made them bat wings (chicken wings), mummy wraps (pigs in blankets), veggies and swamp dip (spinach dip), and marshmallow bones with blood-red hot chocolate. That last one is from Martha Stewart. Happy haunting… 🙂

angela
    October 28, 2009 at 5:19 pm

How about mini carrots with some ranch dip that has red food coloring in it?

V and Co.
    October 28, 2009 at 6:24 pm

i was so depressed when it stared to snow on my this morning on my walk. not fun at 6 am…but the day just got colder..<br /><br />i want to get in bed under the covers and not move. thank heavens i don&#39;t have a book otherwise i totally would of done that and not taken care of anything! 🙂

DeeRoo
    October 28, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Finger food….hahahaha….get it?:) Anyway…I was going to say celery and peanutbutter but with so many kids allergic that would be out. What about celery with hummus and put a half a black olive sliced long ways to look like a black fingernail!:)

Kris
    October 28, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I saw a cute idea recently of breadsticks made to look like fingers that would be fun for Halloween.

kheaney
    October 28, 2009 at 7:52 pm

These look good, pumpkin pie bites from Bakerella…<br /><br />http://www.bakerella.com/pumpkin-pie-bites/<br /><br />I haven&#39;t made them yet because apparently there is a shortage of pumpkin (not sure if nationwide or what). <br />Good Luck! Kristin<br /><br />http://kheaney-writeitdown.blogspot.com/

girlsmama
    October 28, 2009 at 8:36 pm

If you have to do commercially prepared food you could do apple slices (prepacked at Sam&#39;s Club) and caramel dip.

ktquilts
    October 28, 2009 at 9:10 pm

My family love this Pumpkin Pie Dip. What children don&#39;t like to dip???? We like it with grahm crackers and vanilla wafers. Yum…<br /><br />http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/little-dipper-pumpkin-pie-dip-recipe.html<br /><br />Blessings,<br />KT

Lynnie
    October 28, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Mom always made bologna and cheese sandwiches in the shape of pumpkins with the jack-o-lantern pieces cut out of the bread face. It&#39;s too much work for that big of a group, but it&#39;s not candy. 🙂

Allie
    October 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I&#39;m helping in my sons class tomorrow, and I was planning on doing little cups of chex mix and a small water bottle.<br />Good luck!

Annette
    October 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm

We&#39;ve had some of that snow here too. Not ready for that yet. Looks like a very pretty costume in the works.

Sew Create It - Jane
    October 29, 2009 at 3:54 am

Saw this recipe (http://poppyprintcreates.blogspot.com/2009/10/dismembered-digits.html) on another blog…would that make good &quot;finger food&quot;? Might be a bit gruesome for school..but it would be the sort of thing 10 year old boys would like.

Calli Makes Do
    October 29, 2009 at 9:31 am

I&#39;ve loved making popcorn hands. Use food service gloves, put one candy corn into each finger and thumb. Then fill it with popcorn. Filling the gloves is a great job to give to the kids. Then close the top with a twist tie. Good luck! Don&#39;t you just hate sewing on synthetic fabrics? It just won&#39;t behave like a nice polite cotton.

Terresa
    October 31, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Is that **snow**? on your pumpkins?? Seems impossible to me, a desert dweller.