Quilt Festival Fall 2009

I’m a little bit tardy getting to the party, but loved the Quilt Festival last spring, so I had to show-up this year too.
Just call me fashionably late.

I’m pulling my quilt from the archives. I made this a couple of years ago.
It has become one of my all-time favorite quilts. I smile every time I see it.

I have posted pictures of it on flickr and on this blog about a year ago, but I think that maybe only my Mom was reading it back then, so I thought I would post again. I am a bit of an American Jane (by designer Sandy Klop) junkie. All of these fabrics are from Sandy’s collections, most of them from the Peas and Carrots line.

I love the retro, feedsack/farmhouse feel of all the prints and I love the bright colors.

I originally made this quilt for the store where I work and the main reason I chose the turquoise sashing was because we had two bolts of it and I was just trying to use it up. I had planned to make one for myself with yellow sashing. But once the quilts were put together there was no comparison. The turquoise made all the other colors pop and I was in love. So I kept this one instead.

Chalk this quilt up to a happy, unexpected outcome. This experience made me wonder how many other times I’ve gone with the more conservative or same-old-plan where if I had tried the color or fabric that seemed too outlandish, I would have had a more exciting result. So moral of the story: don’t be afraid to try something new!

Thanks for stopping by! If you haven’t visited the Quilt Festival at Park City Girl, go.
You are in for a visual feast! There are links to hundreds of other beautiful quilts.

Comments

Gorgeous! I love your story about the blue sashing…I'm always a bit timid about trying something a little out there too, but your quilt turned out perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Had to show off that view of yours again!;) By the way, which way are you facing when you see that view? I&#39;m am jealous!!<br /><br />When you started telling your story about this quilt and the Am Jane fabric I all of a sudden saw back to when I was in 1st grade in Germany and we had those Dick and Jane readers…I loved those books…warm fuzzy memory…had to go make myself some hot cocoa

Hi Amy, I really like the various blocks in between the American Jane blocks – they&#39;re so interesting, all slightly different! Great idea :)<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Christine

oh i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this.. the stripey binding and the &quot;portrait&quot; squares… sooo cool! I love the retro/vintage stuff too! So many great ideas in one quilt!<br />Melissa

I LOVE this quilt, everything about it is just adorable!! Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration…yet again! :) (I have an 8 year old &quot;cowboy&quot; who would LOVE it too!)

As always I LOVE your designs and quilts. I have to ask – do you have a kit avail? and/or the pattern for this quilt – LOVE IT. LOVE LOVE it.

7. Anonymous says

I made this quilt as well. It was the last quilt I made with my Mom before she died. I remember seeing it at the shop and LOVING it because of the blue sashing and secondly I loved the pictures. <br /><br />Julianna

I&#39;m such a big fan of American Jane fabrics and can never seem to get enough. I totally missed the peas and carrots line and the fabric is gorgeous. I love your quilt, it is stunning!!

This is a great quilt, with a great story. I, too, love those retro-looking prints and have quite a few in the stash (confession!).<br /><br />What&#39;s also intriguing about your quilt is the use of simple blocks, that is the rail fence variation and the nine-patch variation to bring in that retro feeling without hitting the viewer over the head. It tastefully says, &quot;This quilt is from