Adorable Applique ABC’s

My Mom has been part of a neighborhood quilt group for some time. Over the past few years this group has combined forces to create a quilt to donate to a bi-annual fundraiser for a local hospital charitable foundation. This fundraiser has become a big deal over the years and the auction event is always preceded by a show to display all the donated quilts.

And so I wanted to share the incredible quilt my mom’s group made this year. This gorgeous vintage-ABC’s quilt is all hand appliqued. Each block is wonderful and whimsical. The quilt was then hand-quilted by volunteers.

Here are a few close-ups of some of the blocks.
I apologize the photographs aren’t great.
The lighting was not very good and
I didn’t have time to play with camera settings
because I was racing against
the “get the 5-year-old back for Kindergarten” clock.
I love this little robot!
Lots of little appliqued pieces and embellished with embroidery.

Again, these pictures just don’t do the artistry justice.
*Sigh.*
And here is my cute mom in front of the quilt.
Her group attended the auction last night and it sold for over $3500 buckaroos!

I have pictures of many other quilts from the show and will post them soon. Not only is my mom a talented quilter, she is also a talented grandma. We met up at the hotel where the quilt show was taking place. And knowing that I had to drag two little boys with me, she came armed with Richard Scarry’s What Do People Do All Day (one of my boys’ favorite books) and sat on a couch in the lobby and read to them so I could look at quilts in peace. Lovely.

Many thanks for all of the kind comments and thoughts for my friend and her family – as well as the helpful information. I am so grateful.

It has been a busy week here. I have been going to town finishing unpacking my house – the basement in particular. And it feels good. SO GOOD. I finally feel like I am living in my own house. Bedsides the house work, I nursed a cold and may or may not have heard UFO’s at 3:30 in the morning. (A story for another day.) As a result I have been really bad about getting to my email – I’m sorry. (You are all so kind and understanding.) It’s amazing how much stuff you can accomplish when you ignore the computer for days. πŸ™‚ But I am so excited to get my house in order and I am feeling so much more peaceful and much less discombobulated.

Katy
    November 22, 2009 at 3:23 am

the quilt is stunning – I&#39;m not surprised it sold for so much money, it&#39;s a true heirloom! Cute mom too – you&#39;re right! (should have known, her daughter is pretty cute, isn&#39;t she?!)<br /><br />Oh, Amy, I am so very very sorry to hear about Sarah&#39;s passing. I cannot imagine how terrible her poor husband and family must be feeling at a time when they should be overjoyed. My

searchfamilies
    November 22, 2009 at 4:54 am

What a beautiful quilt well done you should be proud i can see your mum is<br />Hugs Janice

Quilt Hollow
    November 22, 2009 at 6:48 am

Wonderful quilt and fantastic bid!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    November 22, 2009 at 8:27 am

That quilt your Mom helped make is absolutely amazing and I am so happy that it raised an appropriate amount of money. Your Mom sounds like a special women. Glad things are falling into place for you.

Nedra
    November 22, 2009 at 8:41 am

I miss going to the Deseret Foundation&#39;s Quilt Show. Every quilt and every display is always so well done. The quilt your mom&#39;s group did is amazing. What a fabulous offering for the hospital.

Crafty Mama
    November 22, 2009 at 9:17 am

That quilt is amazing! So adorable, I am not surprised it went for as much as it did!

Aunt Spicy
    November 22, 2009 at 9:22 am

Wow! That quilt is amazing! I am so glad that the workmanship was recognized and valued!

paulette
    November 22, 2009 at 9:51 am

And it was worth every penny!! Well done ladies! Just gorgeous!<br />Paulette

Angie's Chit Chatting Corner
    November 22, 2009 at 10:49 am

I wonder what someone does with a quilt that they purchased for that much money???

angela
    November 22, 2009 at 11:48 am

Wonderful quilt – and what an awesome amount of money it raised!

Karen
    November 22, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Oh, how cute and so well done! It is hard to get a group quilt to all come together but obviously this group has had some good practice.

Emily
    November 22, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I am so glad your mom&#39;s quilt fetched so much money because it is UNBELIEVABLY Gorgeous! I love the vintage-y feel. Those ladies have got some skills!! πŸ™‚

Laura-Lu
    November 22, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Yay for our Mom! The quilt turned out beautifully. P.S. I&#39;m sad I missed out on the &quot;aliens&quot; sounds incredible.

Sherri
    November 22, 2009 at 7:27 pm

What a wonderful quilt…it&#39;s stunning! So much work…and how fun that your mom has now made an appearance on your blog!

A.
    November 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Great gravy, what a quilt! I think those ladies must have more patience than I do.

GloJoeSews
    November 23, 2009 at 12:04 am

What an absolutely charming quilt. I adore those &quot;old school&quot; style quilts–all 40&#39;s and 50&#39;s looking! That a group of neighborhood women get together and do this work by hand is awesome. And—$3500! Wow! What a lucky organization that will receive this support. On another note–I&#39;m sorry about ur friend&#39;s passing. We have a friend who passed after giving birth as a

Laurie Anne
    November 23, 2009 at 8:39 am

What exceptional detail! A true heirloom…Congrats to your mom and her fellow quilters πŸ™‚ xx

live a colorful life
    November 23, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Really beautiful quilt. Worth every penny.

Terresa
    November 24, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Presh quilt!

Aimee
    November 25, 2009 at 2:00 pm

That is truly adorable &amp; I am astonished at how much money it raised! That is wonderful!!

jaybird
    November 25, 2009 at 9:47 pm

wow.. beautiful quilt.. and its great that it raised that much money!

Michele Ludemann
    January 20, 2016 at 9:41 am

I absolutely love your ABC quilt!!! Is there a pattern for the appliqued pieces? Please respond asap. I want to make an ABC quilt for my grandson for his birthday in early May. Thanks so much!

Michele Ludemann
    518-793-8399

Amy Smart
      January 20, 2016 at 2:15 pm

The pattern is: Nico’s ABC’s Quilt Pattern by The Vintage Spool Verna Mosquera. I’m not sure if it’s still in print, but try googling it – it will come up somewhere. Good luck!