I decided to make some practice turkeys first

Tomorrow I am cooking my first turkey for American Thanksgiving.
This is a bit of a rite of passage for me and I’m slightly scared of ruining it.
Fortunately the bird is already thawed, so I’ve got one thing going for me.

Today we had a happy home day and made some sugar cookies from this recipe at Calli’s Make It Do. When we make sugar cookies, we have a lot of collateral damage in dough that is eaten, rolled into greasy balls, dropped on the floor, etc. It’s joy in the journey though, right? (And while we’re on the subject of recipes I used Calli’s fabulous roll recipe this week to make my first ever made-from-scratch rolls. And they were good if I do say so myself! Which means if I can do you, you can totally do it!)

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, let me share an amazing book I just finished.

It is called Three Cups of Tea and is the story of Greg Mortensen – an American whose mission it is to build schools in remote areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan – with the primary goal to educate girls. It’s an incredible example of the difference one person can make in changing the lives of thousands, if not millions of people. Please read it if you can, or his new book Stones into Schools. It comes out next week and I can’t wait to read it too.

Reading this book has given me new gratitude for my own life and opportunities – and new appreciation for my education and the endless opportunities for education that my daughters have. It makes me want to do more for our sisters on the other side of the world. And I think this may be a way I can do something to honor the memory of my friend Sarah. More to come: quiltmaker/mother becomes activist.

Have a happy weekend with those you love, whether you’re formally celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday, or just continuing to have a grateful heart.

PS Many thanks for all the kind comments on my painted hutch. It’s always fun to hear a few other opinions that confirm you did well. πŸ™‚ I am SOOO behind on my responding individually – please know how much I appreciate your kindness.

Amy - Park City Girl
    November 26, 2009 at 1:04 am

Cute! I have that book on my list to read too πŸ™‚ <br /><br />Happy Thanksgiving Amy!

November 26, 2009 at 1:05 am

I soo loved Three Cups of Tea…I didn&#39;t realize another book was coming out, so thank you for that info…can&#39;t wait to read it…I didn&#39;t want Three Cups of Tea to end! Happy Thanksgiving!

November 26, 2009 at 3:27 am

three cups of tea WAS on my amazon wishlist…but I noticed the other day it&#39;s gone – so that means I&#39;ll be getting it for christmas!<br /><br />We don&#39;t celebrate thanksgiving, but I do like to spend this time of year being thankful of everything I have. Good luck with your turkey – how will you cook it? (I watched a TV show where the turkey was cooked in a big vat of oil. Over here,

Jilly's Space
    November 26, 2009 at 5:23 am

GREAT book!!

November 26, 2009 at 5:54 am

good luck with your turkey! i am also cooking my first turkey today and am a bit nervous. everyone assures me that it is quite easy though! πŸ™‚

Laurie Anne
    November 26, 2009 at 6:03 am

I loved Three cups of tea so much I made my husband read it :)<br />Don&#39;t worry…the turkey will turn out great! Happy Thanksgiving to you my friend! <br />your Canadian Rebel Blossom xx

November 26, 2009 at 7:09 am

That book is on my stack of books to read…my stack is 3 feet tall!:) This new found quilting habit is keeping me busy and when I read at night it&#39;s one chapter and I am falling asleep so it&#39;s slow going.<br /><br />Yeah…your first Thanksgiving in your new house and first bird…it will be great and if it isn&#39;t it will be a funny memory!:)<br /><br />Happy Gobbler day to you too.

November 26, 2009 at 7:16 am

We have that book, as my daughter had to read it for a High School Summer Read. It was on their list. Then they had to do a report on it. So it is definitely on my list of to reads! Thanks for your review and I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Aunt Spicy
    November 27, 2009 at 7:02 am

How did it turn out?

November 29, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I&#39;ve heard of that book before, sounds like a worthwhile, even life changing read.

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    December 8, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I haven&#39;t read that book but my husband did and he really liked it.

December 17, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I am currently reading this book and loving it!! He is an inspiration. Great book around the holidays.