A thrifty trip show and tell

So last week I had to drop-off a no-longer-needed changing table (hallelujah!) at the thrift store. It had been a crazy week wrapping up things with our old house and this was my last task. So as a reward I allowed myself to go inside. 🙂 No pyrex this time, but I scored with the vintage linens! I had to dig through a lot of junk, but found some great treasures. I love this pillowcase. I think the colors and the print are so pretty – I’ve been starting to collect prints I like to frame in hoops (like this) and I think this is going to be one of them.

A couple of pillowcases to add to this quilt.
(I’ll get there sometime!)
This sheet will probably go with them.
But this sheet is probably my favorite!! The colors are awesome – I don’t even want to cut it up.
I feel like planing a new quilt around these colors and using the sheet as a back. Mmm.
Then I walked through the bagged-up fabric.
Usually not much there but a bunch of gross polyester bleh.
This unassuming bag was among the pile.
I flipped it over and on top was this polyester that reminds me of the dress my grandma wore at my parents wedding in 1972.
And it kind of made me smile.
And then I noticed this little corner peeking out.

I tore the bag slightly open and found this vintage cotton. Fantastic! It’s so American Jane-y, old fashioned looking. (Yes, I should have ironed it before taking a picture.) Reminds me a little of my childhood in the late 70’s. (Or maybe it’s some recent piece of JoAnn stuff. If it is I don’t want to know. 🙂 I’d rather live in denial, believing I found some awesome vintage treasure.)

Also this old beauty.

And finally, this little old piece of cheater print. I think it’s so fun. Reminds me of this old quilt my mom made about the same time my grandma was wearing the yellow-flowered polyester dress. It also makes me think of some cool new Japanese reprint.

So woo! Fun finds all for only $14!
Now I’m off to find some time to do something with them!

November 4, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Love your thrift store finds! I am a thrift store junkie.

November 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Hi Amy, I just happened to link over from Park City Girl's blog and there you were *VBS* I love your 'thifting' finds. I'm commenting because the sheet with pink flowers(kind of in the middle of your picture grouping)graced my bed for several years(late 70's-early 80's). I believe I bought them at Penney's and they wore like iron. They were a blended fabric, but had a

November 4, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Jackpot! I love a good find.

November 4, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Oh, nice linens! I can't wait to see them in your future quilts. I love that ABC print too – good find!

Happy Cottage Quilter
    November 4, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I love the vintage linens. I am collecting them too, and would like to make a quilt out of them. You really scored on those great fabrics. It was a profitable day for you 🙂

Laurie Anne
    November 4, 2009 at 5:00 pm

What great finds! I love the alphabet print cotton…so sweet!Can't wait to see what you do with them! x

November 4, 2009 at 5:35 pm

::sucks in breath:: Ooh, you lucky, lucky mama! If you want to do any vintage swappage, give me a holler! 😀

November 4, 2009 at 5:35 pm

C. Jaeger
    November 4, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I took a gasping breath also…that alphabet fabric is so great! Enjoy!

November 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Thank you so much for taking me to the Thrift shop with you….there is nothing like the hunt for something good in a Thrift shop! LOve it and love your finds!<br />Paulette

November 5, 2009 at 6:23 am

Great bargain, congrats!

November 5, 2009 at 8:21 am

Wowsers!!! Goosebumps. Now I think that I need to go to Goodwill….<br /><br />Blessings,<br />KT

November 5, 2009 at 10:10 am

This post reminds me of a post on another friend&#39;s design site (A Room Somewhere–there&#39;s a link on my blog). Earlier this week she featured a calendar that uses vintage sheet designs as the background. And I think it&#39;s only $5!! Anyway, I thought of you immediately but had forgotten to tell you.

Jodie B-C
    November 5, 2009 at 10:11 am

Score!!! I&#39;ve never found such great fabric in our thrift shops!!

Rae Ann
    November 5, 2009 at 10:14 am

They say if you give, you get back! What fun finds! The fabric is darling.

Amy - Park City Girl
    November 5, 2009 at 11:51 am

great finds! I never have that much luck up here – too small 🙂

November 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm

what great finds!!! i love the cheater cloth &amp; the print with all the text.. brings be back to the days of practicing handwriting!!

November 5, 2009 at 3:07 pm

You are so lucky your thrift store sells bags of fabric. I never find anything like that in my local Goodwill Store.

November 5, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Wow! You found a lot of good stuff. Which thrift store did you go to? I usually don&#39;t find much. Then again, I don&#39;t go very often.<br /><br />The framed fabric in the link is really cute. I&#39;m excited you&#39;re doing that. It&#39;ll be so pretty.

Aunt Spicy
    November 6, 2009 at 7:04 am

I am so coming to visit! What a great set of finds!

November 6, 2009 at 7:25 am

I can tell you are a great shopper who knows how to seek out the &quot;finds&quot;. Fun stuff.

live a colorful life
    November 6, 2009 at 9:22 am

I definitely need to start shopping at my local thrift shop when I drop things off. You find the best stuff!

November 7, 2009 at 6:35 am

Great finds! I always look in the fabric/sheet areas when I go thrifting. Sometimes there&#39;s nothinh=g but once in a blue moon you hit the jackpot like you just did.

November 9, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Looks like the thrift ninja (that would be you) hit gold!<br /><br />Love the retro prints. Reminds me of homemade matching dresses my mom sewed for my older sis and I when we were in grade school.