International House of Fabrics

Check out this pile. I’m in love.
After seeing the apron I made for Christmas,
my mom dug out the other long-forgotten Danish fabric.
And now we’re both plotting what to do with it.
These two at the top are my favorites. They’re so Cath.
I still want to make an homage to Cath quilt and all of these would be perfect.
Or they would look great in Union Jacks! Decisions, decisions.
I also love this nubby red gingham and the turquoise, red, and green plaid.
We are trying to figure out who in the world made these beauties. In 2001 my sister’s husband was playing American football in Germany so my mom decided it would be a good time to visit Europe. As I mentioned she found these fabrics at some little fabric place in Denmark. There is no printed selvage edge or any kind of label. So they are a mystery. But they are right up my alley, eight and a half years later.

And while we’re on the subject of fabric, here are a few recent additions from Japan. I am doing a custom quilt for a friend who lived in France this past summer, and where else to find adorable French-themed fabric, than Japan. Of course!

And these elephants. Just because I liked them.
Two years ago my husband had a business trip to Tokyo. It was his first (and only) time ever going to Asia and we thought it was pretty cool. He kindly asked me if there was anything I’d like him to bring back for me, and thinking only of the food and the fact that sushi rolls don’t really travel well on an airplane I said, “nothing.”

It was a month or so after he returned that I discovered Japanese prints and patterns and all the other sewing lovlies that come from there. I could have had him just fill his suitcase with all kinds of goodies. (Besides the plastic ninja swords he brought home.) The thought still makes me cringe sometimes. Especially when I pay those shipping fees.
So there you have it.
A post about fabric.
I promise I don’t talk to everyone I meet about the wonders of fabric.
I’m not as obsessed as I sound on this blog sometimes.
But you people get me. So thanks for listening.

Isn&#39;t the title of this blog &quot;Diary of a Quilter&quot;? Duh…we expect ginormous post about fabric!;)<br /><br />Uh…mom….why have these fabrics been hidden away since 2001? Hehehee!<br /><br />Love them all, especially the little plaid under the lovely roses!:) Whoa…a quilt just made of those two and a solid red and the background color of the roses would be sooooooo awesome!!:)<

Love those wonderful Danish fabrics…I had a friend go to Japan last year, but she wasn&#39;t able to get to any fabric shops for me. And yes, I so understand the last part of your post; hopefully, I&#39;m not as obsessed with fabric as I sound on my blog…but I really would talk to anyone about fabric any time…so maybe I am!

I.AM.IN.LOVE.WITH.THOSE.COTTAGE.FABRICS.<br /><br />After your projects are done and if you want to sell your &quot;scraps&quot; please contact me! :o)<br /><br />I love Cath Kidston and no idea where to purchase her items (state side) and those fabrics remind me so much of her.<br />Keep talking about fabric, we love to hear it! :o)<br />Hope your days is a pleasant one.<br />-Trish

Amazing stack of fabrics! I have been systemically going through my stash this week and getting rid of lots of yards (ka-ching, ka-ching….)that is still beautiful but no longer my style. It will go to our church group and beautiful quilts will be made out of it. Anyway, please keep showing your stacks of fabric. These are gorgeous. I bought the Union Jack pattern because you posted about it

I love that top floral fabric. My brother is in the navy in Japan. I keep thinking, &quot;he&#39;ll think I&#39;m crazy if I ask him to bring me fabric back – he doesn&#39;t know where any fabric stores are&quot; but I think I just need to bite the bullet and ask. :) Enjoy the fabric!

those fabrics are pretty indicative (have I spelled that right?) of European fabrics, you know, the basic kinds you see in fabric stores and markets all over. Ditsy florals and ginghams are our staples, like bread and butter! So pretty. I also love Dutch fabrics – I have a small heap that I am determined to make into something for the big Victorian kitchen I dream I&#39;ll own one day – with a

Yes. I hear you.<br /><br />I am a certified fabric feeler, hoarder, collector. :) I have at least 3 plastic totes of fabric sitting in my garage, waiting for the day I trade writing my manuscript for quilting. It hasn&#39;t happened yet…