38 In flags/ inspiration/ my ramblings/ quilts

The Ireland quilt

Finally pictures of the Ireland quilt.
I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.
This is the quilt made for the son of my wonderful Irish friend Sarah who passed away due to complications from childbirth. Her husband is English, but currently lives in Scotland. I wanted to do something for this baby to commemorate his mother’s heritage and the place his parents met.
A sweet friend of mine here in Utah offered to quilt it for me on her longarm machine. I was so grateful and touched by her gesture. She also donated the batting because I was an airhead and forgot to bring some when I dropped off the front and back pieces at her home. Many thanks again, G.
The back.

I don’t love it because I did it in a hurry, made it too small and had to scramble to make it bigger. I was originally planing only greens on the back. I visited Ireland when I was a student in London many years ago, before I knew Sarah, and couldn’t get over how really green the place was. Whoever named the place ‘the Emerald Isle’ wasn’t exaggerating. I wanted to do lots of different greens but in my haste, made the back too small so I quickly added the orange stripe. Not great, but it did give me a chance to use an extra flag that was floating around.

All of the fabrics were scraps in my stash. It was fun to pull them all together. The brown is a Kamla woven that I had on hand and now I want a whole bolt of it. It is cotton, but has a cool linen-like texture.
I wish I could hold this baby in my arms and tell him what a brilliant mother he has. This quilt will have to be my surrogate. She is truly one of the greatest women I’ve known. This boy is blessed with a special father too. As I’ve talked to Sarah’s husband, I’ve been touched by the serenity that he’s been given to get through this time. His knowledge that their’s was not a marriage of “’til death do us part” but one that is eternal, and faith in God’s plan that their family will be together for always brings comfort as well. To me too.

**MIGNONNE**
    January 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm

The quilt is gorgeous and the sentiment behind it is so very touching. What a wonderful treasure you are giving that child. Great job and for what it's worth, I love the back!

nettie
    January 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I LOVE this quilt!

Patty
    January 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm

All I can say is wow! Wonderful quilt for a very special friend&#39;s child. <br />Your sense of color is wonderful, I&#39;m sure your dear friend was guiding you throughout the whole creative process.

Kristine Hanson
    January 11, 2010 at 3:50 pm

you are too hard on yourself, this is lovely…love it….dadddy and child will love it, the momma would have loved it, good job, you are a good friend 🙂

Blue Is Bleu
    January 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm

This is beautiful! I&#39;m sure your friend&#39;s husband and baby boy will treasure this. For what it&#39;s worth, I really love the back too.

Aunt Spicy
    January 11, 2010 at 4:01 pm

AUS! You are killing me! That is such an amazing quilt, made even more so by the heart felt meaning behind it! You amaze me!

A.
    January 11, 2010 at 4:04 pm

It is truly, truly wonderful.

karen
    January 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Gorgeous quilt…

angela
    January 11, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Wonderful! Such a sweet tribute and beautiful quilt!

Katy
    January 11, 2010 at 4:24 pm

it&#39;s perfect, every single piece. I&#39;m sure it will be treasured! God bless you x

Trisha
    January 11, 2010 at 4:54 pm

It is such a beautiful thing that you made this quilt for him. It is lovely and the meaning behind it makes it even lovelier.

Emily
    January 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I really, really love this quilt and all that it represents.

Sherri
    January 11, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I love this quilt! My grandmother was Irish…and one time she was visiting us on St. Patrick&#39;s Day…she made me wear ORANGE to school. Her ancestry(Scotch/Irish) belonged to the Church of Ireland rather than the Catholic church…and orange was always the color that reminded her of Ireland.

Di~
    January 11, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I LOVE the Ireland quilt! Very Very Nice and the back too! it&#39;s superb! Someday you will be able to talk to that boy, when he is grown and will really understand~ You will be able make one young man very happy!

DeeRoo
    January 11, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Oh Amy…you done a good thing!:) Isn&#39;t it wonderful to be blest to have people like your friend come into your life…and into it she is for she&#39;ll always be with you!:)<br /><br />Love, love, love the brown Kamla woven! I bet that would be fantastic to embroider on!! Let&#39;s buy a bolt!;)

Kris
    January 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm

What a beautiful gift for a boy who&#39;s probably very in need of wrapped up in love for his mom. Thanks for sharing this story and your quilt.

Katie B.
    January 11, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Amazing. Sarah&#39;s family will treasure this always.

Chatty Cricket
    January 11, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Oh I LOVE it!! He will treasure this quilt, I&#39;m sure, and what a wonderful tribute to Sarah.<br /><br />-xo

americanfamily
    January 11, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Oh Amy I love how this quilt turned out! Amazing.

Fiesta
    January 11, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Amy this quilt is delightful. I love the color scheme.

Bobbi
    January 11, 2010 at 9:00 pm

wow…that is reallly a fabulous quilt!!! i love how the blocks turned out!

Laurie, the girls and Scott
    January 11, 2010 at 11:37 pm

It&#39;s even better in person! I love it Amy. (Guess which quilt I bought fabric for today!!)

Karen
    January 12, 2010 at 3:14 am

Just beautiful Amy!

Anonymous
    January 12, 2010 at 5:07 am

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

searchfamilies
    January 12, 2010 at 6:14 am

Very Nice, well done<br />Hugs Janice

Sew Create It - Jane
    January 12, 2010 at 7:35 am

Beautiful made, beautifully quilted..in the memory of a beautiful person for a beautiful boy.<br /><br />Well Done :o)

Mauri
    January 12, 2010 at 2:06 pm

The quilt is beautiful! What a wonderful gift you are giving them. What a special way for this little boy and father to have to remember this amazing woman. You are such a sweetheart!

Pamela
    January 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm

What a amazing, loving gesture to your friend.

Kasi
    January 13, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Wow, it is gorgeous! And I absolutely love the back. I am sure that little boy will cherish it forever. I still have pieces of the quilt my grandmother made me as a baby. I loved it so much, by the time I was a teenager it wasn&#39;t very recognizable as a quilt anymore 🙂 But no quilt was ever loved more!

The Quilt Buddy
    January 14, 2010 at 8:27 am

What a lovely treasure that you have created for Sarah&#39;s husband and little boy! I am sure that it will be their comfort in the many days to come.<br /><br />Rest assured, that Sarah is in a better place, one in which she is standing before our Creator in awe of his greatness! It is hard to understand, but it is all a part of His plan.

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    January 14, 2010 at 9:08 am

You are so very sweet and kind Amy. The quilt will be a treasure.

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    January 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

It is lovely. Really really lovely. And your fabric choices and pattern are spot on! What a good gift to give. You can&#39;t bring her back. But it will help them remember she was loved by others, too.

Steph
    January 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm

That is such a beautiful gesture, Amy. I can&#39;t think of a better gift than a quilt in a situation like this. And a quilt like this– my goodness!!

6p00e553f28a8d8833
    January 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm

It&#39;s a beautiful quilt that I&#39;m sure will provide lots and lots of comfort. <br />(and for what it&#39;s worth, I think the back is perfect! really!! Very very cool)

jaybird
    February 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm

what a touching story… and a beautiful quilt to go with it. you really are a good friend…

Brooke
    March 24, 2010 at 12:04 am

What a beautiful quilt. I served my mission in Ireland and actually remember Sarah from one of the wards that I served in while in Dublin. I heard she passed and was really touched by your posts. What an amazing gift you have given to her precious child. Love it. I have been inspired by your quilt and may have to make one similar.

luvmychiks
    March 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm

This is a beautiful quilt that has come out of tragedy. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. <br /><br />My father was from Ireland and he would have loved the quilt. You did a beautiful job.

Quilting with a Purpose - Preserving Memories - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    June 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm

[…] of our family story. I have other quilts with meaning that I’ve given away – like my Irish flags quilt and other flag quilts for friends – but I need to do more for my own […]