Retrospective

I couldn’t resist jumping on the ‘end-of-the-year-collage’ bandwagon.
I, too, was surprised when I went back and looked at everything I’d finished.
It made me feel so productive!

During the past week, I saw or heard many comments in the media about how glad people were to be rid of 2009.
As I thought about my feelings toward 2009 I realized it was a year of many blessings to me.
And not just because it was the first year in the past 10
where I no longer had multiple diapers to change on a daily basis. (Yee-haw!)
In 2009 I learned a lot about myself and what mattered most.

This year I accomplished some personal goals outside my comfort zone.
That is always a rewarding feeling.
I’ve got many goals far outside my comfort zone yet to go,
but it’s motivational to see progress.

This year I lost two very dear friends who had a big impact on me at pivotal points in my life.
Both were young with spouses and small children.
Their loss was both sudden and tragic,
but in many ways refined my perspective on what is most important in life.
I’m grateful to know that I’ll see those friends again
and I continue to be blessed by their love and friendship.

I also moved.
(SO glad that is done.)

In that process I also lost my close proximity
to a lot of other friends and neighbors (and fence) who I dearly love.
I miss them. They blessed my life –
whether as caring babysitters, Sunday school teachers, or nurturers of my children,
someone I could borrow an egg from or ask for advice about dead spots in the lawn,
or people who brought me ceviche and daffodil bulbs for my birthday.
My life will always be blessed by those relationships.
I’m glad they’re not gone forever.

This year I met a lot of very cool new friends – not all of whom I’ve met in real life (yet)
– but who I feel so grateful to know and who have been so generous and encouraging.
Thanks to many of you for being among that group.

Life is good, isn’t it?
Here’s looking forward to 2010 and what it has to bring!

Blue Is Bleu
    January 2, 2010 at 3:39 am

I've never thought any year was good or bad… every year has its good and bad and it all shapes the person we become. I'm so sorry you lost friends this past year.

Thearica
    January 2, 2010 at 4:25 am

Yes, life is good. With all of its gladness and sadness, it shapes us into who we are!

Quilted Cupcake
    January 2, 2010 at 6:33 am

Thanks for sharing your 09 look back – encouraged me to count my blessings. Thanks for continuing to inspire us with your wonderful work!<br /><br />Peace in 2010<br />Jean

Patty
    January 2, 2010 at 8:16 am

Life is good and each year we live defines us as the people we become. Sometimes I think a year is worst or better than others, but really it is just a marker of thre milestone in our lives. <br />I love the collage of yor accomplishments …hmm… maybe I shpuld do one to see how much I&#39;ve accomplished!

Sherri
    January 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

What a wonderful, thoughtful post…I love your collage…I, too, have been thinking about making one! Have a wonderful and creative 2010!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    January 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Yes, life is good! Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration Amy!

Aunt Spicy
    January 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm

You are amazing! What a great post!

Kim Walus
    January 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for showing us all of your projects for 2009. I&#39;m thinking I might have to make a collage too.

live a colorful life
    January 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm

The good and the bad–it all makes us grow. I&#39;m looking forward to 2010, and expanding my creative horizons.

Magnolia Bay Quilts
    January 2, 2010 at 5:44 pm

What a pretty collage, and such a nice way to document your quilting accomplishments. I hope 2010 is a good year for you!

Gari
    January 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I really liked 2009, for the most part. I learned a lot, felt the joy of accomplishment, and felt a lot of contentment. And I am ready for 2010, challenges and all.

Di~
    January 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Amy, I hope to be considered one of your cool new friends that you haven&#39;t met yet. Someday when I make it into American Quilting again, I&#39;ll ask for you!:) Thanks for your blog. Yes, looking forward…

angela
    January 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

An inspiring post – both the great crafting and the thoughts. Thanks for sharing with us!

Jackie
    January 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I&#39;m looking forward to 2010 but like you, feel 2009 was full of many blessings!