Stuff both light and heavy

Winter. I am enjoying winter more than I usually do. I think part of it has to do with not quite as much snow to shovel this year and the joy I find in not feeling guilty about yard work this time of year. (Means more time for sewing.)
In other fun news, I got to meet Amy of amylouhou this past week. It was so much fun! She was in Utah for a couple of weeks (she lives in Virginia) and the stars aligned somehow and we were able to meet up at American Quilting for a quick visit. I was there during my son’s pre-school time and she had a mother and two small kids in tow, so ours was not a lengthy visit but it was still very fun. I love the experience of meeting people in person who I kind of feel like I already know because they have a blog. So often they are real kindred spirits. Hopefully our next meet-up will be more in depth. And hopefully I’ll be looking at the right camera when we take the next picture. The funny thing? By sheer coincidence my mom was also in the shop at the same time, so our moms took our pictures together (mine didn’t turn out as well, so I swiped Amy’s) and we had a nice little discussion of the vast number of Amy’s in our generation. (On a side note – when we moved to our new neighborhood we started attending a new church congregation closer to our new house. Out of the roughly 80-90 adult women in our congregation there are 8 Amys!)
Last for now, remember the Robot quilt? All last week I meant to get it submitted to Craft Hope for Haiti and being the dork I often am, I missed the deadline for submissions. So I’ve listed it in my etsy shop for now and will donate 100% of the proceeds. If it hasn’t sold in a week and a half I’ll submit it when they start accepting donations again.

UPDATE: Mr. Roboto is sold! Many thanks again, JJ. Money officially donated tonight. The Haitian orphans thank you too.

Hasn’t the response to this crisis been amazing and inspiring? It’s been gut-wrenching to watch and read the coverage of what is happening there. Puts our lives in perspective doesn’t it? Makes the stuff on this blog kind of stupid and shallow.

I’ve been thinking lately about tragedy in light of Haiti and my friend Sarah’s passing, among other things. Although I’ve never questioned God’s plan for his children, I am starting to see why he allows tragedy into our lives. It truly is the glue that draws us together. If everything were always easy, we wouldn’t need each other or forge the kinds of bonds that are created in adversity. Just seeing what is happening in Haiti, I’m sure there are many who are saying, “Why would God let this happen?” when really, He is giving all of us an incredible opportunity to reach out to others and through that process, feel more of his love. It’s quite amazing.

I’ve been amazed by how my children are concerned by what is happening in Haiti. What an opportunity to teach them about sacrificing for someone in need. I need to run with this. I would love to find something concrete they can do themselves. If anyone knows of anything I would love to hear it. Other than that, emptying piggy-banks is not a bad option either!

Comments

When I was growing up there were 3 Susan&#39;s and 4 Kathy&#39;s in my class. I was the only Diane in the whole school! ha. Now I know so many Diane&#39;s and they&#39;re about my age. Weird. I always say when I meet another Diane &quot;where were you, I thought I was the only one!&quot; ****<br />Haiti and other natural disasters (or even those that are man-made, by accident or foul intent)

Yes – I am so thankful for little things right now. When Becket was thirsty and grabbed his cup to use the ice dispenser and water on the fridge door, I thought how lucky we are to be able to count on that! We are so blessed.

Such a good post. Quilting has gotten me through a very dark period when our first grandson died. I knew he was instantly in God&#39;s hands and we were surrounded by loving friends. Adversity can bring out strength and caring we didn&#39;t even know was there. And it is a good reminder not to take things for granted and to appreciate the smallest things.

1. LOVE that quilt!<br />2. How fun that you got to meet Amy, it looks like you had a great time! I love her blog and I guess I never realized how close she lived to me!<br />3. Hope that you are happy and well!

I have a daughter named Amy, and several friends named Amy too. I love your name! In fact, as my Amy was growing up, she was my &quot;Amy Angel&quot;.

Yes tragedies always bring out the best in people. It&#39;s amazing how many people are will to drop everything and go to help, and how many people who can&#39;t but find other ways to be supportive.

You put things so well. My brother and his wife were missionaries in Haiti and she is leaving Wednesday to go help. He is scheduled to go on with the next group. It&#39;s hard stuff to see.<br /><br />I had a great time meeting you too! I like our picture! I think you were looking at your mom and I was looking at mine! Next time for sure, we will make some sewing time.

Great post.<br /><br />My gram died less than 2 weeks ago. Her passing is still quite a raw feeling for us. But yes, as you write it, I can see why HF allows tragedy. It gives us perspective, helps us grow and draws us closer together.<br /><br />About Haiti– yes, a tragedy on an epic scale. I don&#39;t watch TV, so I haven&#39;t seen any coverage of it, only read bits and pieces of it. The

Cute pic. Fun to meet someone like that. Life is not easy. I remember thinking in my mid 30s that it would be smooth sailing after a few milestones. NOT. So so so not. I have to admit I hate that but it is life and we have to deal. My kids wanted to know which charity to give money to for Haiti. I said that our church has relief set in motion for all people with extreme issues and the