Modern Quilts and haste (sometimes) makes waste

While at work recently a girl walked in with a pattern book that caught my eye.
So I wrested it from her – not really – I politely asked if I could see it and she was kind enough to oblige.
It’s called the Modern Quilt Workshop and has a bunch of good quilts.
I’ve always been a pretty traditional quilter, but since becoming part of the quilt-blogging world I’ve become drawn to modern quilts.  I love the scrappy, imperfection of them.  Also, I’m kind of a quickie-quilter – not a lot of patience for perfection (mainly because my quilting time is limited and if I was meticulous about everything, I wouldn’t accomplish much.)
Anyway, after a quick thumb-thru (I could have looked longer, but I could see this girl wanting me to get my grubby mits off her book)
I knew it was one I wanted to have for my very own.
So I went home and ordered my own on Amazon, figuring that was the quickest way to get it.
After holding my breath for a couple of days, I checked on the status of my order.

And then I discovered that in my excitement I’d forgot to check the shipping address when I ordered and that my new book was being shipped to my sister-in-law in Bethesda, Maryland!  Which is quite far from where I live. (The last purchase I’d made was a birthday present I’d shipped directly to her.) So I had to call her and say, “Uh . . . if a book about modern quilts shows up at your house . . . uh, it’s not for you.  And . . . uh, could you forward it to me?”  Which is not the easiest thing in the world for her to do because she is a busy nursing student.  But being the wonderful sister that she is, she helped me out.

So my wait was prolonged purely because of my own stupidity haste.
But the wait was worth it.
It’s beautiful!

girlsmama
    February 17, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I totally did that at Christmas! Our Santa gifts got delivered to our old house. Bah! Luckily the new owners took them to UPS who called me and redelivered them. But it was still a pain.

felicity
    February 17, 2010 at 11:26 pm

&quot;I&#39;ve always been a pretty traditional quilter, but since becoming part of the quilt-blogging world I&#39;ve become drawn to modern quilts. I love the scrappy, imperfection of them. Also, I&#39;m kind of a quickie-quilter – not a lot of patience for perfection (mainly because my quilting time is limited and if I was meticulous about everything, I wouldn&#39;t accomplish much.)&quot;<br

Nedra
    February 18, 2010 at 12:03 am

I have always considered myself a traditional quilter also. But when I started seeing some of the contempory designs from Denyse Schmidt, I fell in love. You should run over to her site and check things out. <br />I will be watching for that book too.

Emily {Creative Chicks}
    February 18, 2010 at 12:26 am

Love, LOVE this book! I just finished a plain spoken quilt. It turned out so much better than I could&#39;ve imagined. Not sure which will be my next one from this book…but there will definitely be another.

Blue Is Bleu
    February 18, 2010 at 12:41 am

LOL! I always have to check the address on my Amazon orders in case it goes to my in-law&#39;s.<br /><br />It&#39;s such a good book isn&#39;t it??? I&#39;ve been dying to make something from it… need to find the time!

Heckety
    February 18, 2010 at 7:20 am

Oh no! But I did laugh at the idea of you wresting the book from the customer!

Amanda
    February 18, 2010 at 7:54 am

I&#39;ve been eyeing that book for a while now. but I&#39;ve got lots of unfinished quilts, so it&#39;s still lingering in my shopping list. wise craft just made that marquee quilt for her son and it&#39;s fabulous!<br /><br />http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/2009/09/marquee-quilt-top.html?utm_source=feedburner&amp;utm_medium=feed&amp;utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fblairpeter%2Fweblog+%28Wise

Leslie
    February 18, 2010 at 8:07 am

this book really is amazing…i have it in my &quot;stash&quot; of books. though i am guilty of not making anything from it…just loving the pictures

Jackie
    February 18, 2010 at 8:57 am

I have that book and adore it! In fact I was looking at it just the other day. You will have tons of fun with it for sure!

Ginger
    February 18, 2010 at 8:18 am

I love that book! I&#39;ve made the &quot;Plain Spoken&quot; quilt. Really easy and worth it!

Sherri
    February 18, 2010 at 9:58 am

Oh, no…thought I was all done shopping for the month…but I think I&#39;ll be looking this up on amazon!

Patty
    February 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

At least you have your book in hand now, I&#39;ll have to check out that book thanks for the heads up. :^)

Amy
    February 18, 2010 at 10:33 am

I love this book as well. They have done a great job with the multiple examples of how a quilt will look in different colorways or different values or different scales. It&#39;s truly brilliant!

Mauri
    February 18, 2010 at 11:49 am

That&#39;s too funny Amy! Looks like a beautiful book.

live a colorful life
    February 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This is a fabulous book! And if you can your mits on their other book (published in 2002), Color Harmony for Quilts, it is also really worthwhile.

Valerie
    February 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I love the &quot;Library Books&quot; in this book…

pinksuedeshoe
    February 18, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I&#39;ve heard about this book before, and I might just order one for myself!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    February 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

That looks like a great book Amy! The ordering sounds like something I would do.

Stephanie
    February 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I just ordered this book too, I love it! I really like the last photo you have on your post, that was one of my favorites from the book. Very cool 🙂

Kimberly
    February 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Great looking book! I can&#39;t wait to see what you make with it!<br /><br />And I just read through your last post… I&#39;m a pretty-close-to-being-a-Vancouverite and we&#39;re just loving the vibe with the Olympics so close! I think we&#39;ll head in on Sunday to see what we can see (for free – hey, that rhymes!) And since the weather is amazing this week, we&#39;re in for a great day!<br />

ohiostar5
    February 19, 2010 at 9:40 am

After years of buying beautiful fabrics and then cutting them up into unreconizable prints, I too have become interested in the &quot;ModernQuilt&quot; look. Have made 5 &quot;Turning Twenty&quot; to showcase different quilt lines and really like the look of plain squares, rectangles, and circles. Love your designs on your blog. Will order this book today.

Lynnie
    February 19, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Family. Isn&#39;t it about… time?<br /><br />Love you.<br /><br />And I&#39;m so glad you are happy with it!

Carol T
    February 20, 2010 at 11:15 am

Wow, thanks for posting these pictures. Seeing your pictures finally gave me the decision to buy this book!!!

AMIT
    February 21, 2010 at 3:14 am

Hey thanks for showing details about this book.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.makemysite.in&quot; rel="nofollow"> Make website india </a>

V and Co.
    March 5, 2010 at 2:56 pm

okay love the book! and i&#39;m so into more modern quilts these days as well.