A new table runner tutorial

Hi everyone! Guess who I’m hanging out with today?
(Well, not in real life – I wish! – but in blogland)
I’m sharing an easy tutorial for a quilted table runner.
It’s so quick and easy, you can make it in an afternoon.

In other fun things at our house, this is what I discovered on the kitchen table yesterday after I got off the phone with my neighbor. Some nice new Sharpie art work!  Fortunately I had some miracle product that got most of it out.  I totally held my cool, but all threats of discipline were only met with mischevious giggles. Until. . . I put the Webkinz Gecko (stuffed animal) in time out for a couple of days. Then I witnessed great anguish and lamentation.

(Is it mean that I took a picture?)

Post Edit: A couple people asked about the miracle cleaner: Sol-u-mel made by Melaluca. (A neighbor was a distributor.  Took that stuff right out.)  I fully endorse Mr. Clean Magic Erasers as well.  They work wonders getting out crayon too!

ktquilts
    March 31, 2010 at 6:50 am

Let me guess, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?! Not that I have experience or anything!! ;o)<br /><br />Love the table runner!!<br /><br />Blessings,<br /><br />KT

Denise
    March 31, 2010 at 6:52 am

So cute…the tablerunner and the photo of the &quot;damned&quot;! I too have pix of my kids in timeouts…sometimes it is too funny NOT to take a pix of. Thanks for sharing the tutorial

Melissa
    March 31, 2010 at 7:17 am

I *love* that you took a picture. That&#39;s so something I would do. And I think other parents would agree… well, at least the parents I&#39;d want to hang out with would agree. While you never want to see them hurt or sad, there is something entertaining about the level of high drama reached by a little kid in that state. It&#39;s the end of the world.<br /><br />While hauling my stuff

Nedra
    March 31, 2010 at 7:34 am

I took pictures when I found my (then) two year old had found a sharpie marker and drawn all over his body. I could have used some of that miracle clean-up. We had to wait days for it to wear off.<br />You (and they) will laugh about these things in the future.

Bearpawquilter
      October 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My now 36 year old son did that when he was two. Around his eyes, tops of his feet, the full meal deal. No fancy, Shmancy stuff in those days. I used cold cream and my fingernails! He is now a wonderful adult husband and father of whom I am extremely proud! N

Shelley
    March 31, 2010 at 7:38 am

Love today&#39;s post and photos and temper tantrums! Oh, those were the days!!

A.
    March 31, 2010 at 7:39 am

ha, ha, ha. you go, mama.

Jandi
    March 31, 2010 at 7:57 am

I love that you took a picture! Often I think of taking a pic right after I&#39;ve finished cleaning up. Grrrr…. How am I supposed to show my grandkids what little stinkers their parents were? LOL

Hurricanehol
    March 31, 2010 at 7:59 am

Not sure how it would work on wood but my daughter taught me that if you use liquid anti-bac soap (the no wash kind) that it takes off sharpie…and it does…

Janet
    March 31, 2010 at 8:00 am

I agree. Photos are priceless. Now that my children are grown up, I can look thru albums and laugh out loud. The girls loved to dress up and I would take their pictures. It&#39;s so much fun to look back and remember those days. Love the table runner-it would make a nice quick gift.

Melissa
    March 31, 2010 at 8:17 am

It&#39;s fantastic!! I love how you used all the different fabrics with it &amp; the method you used to sew the strips is MUCH easier than the way I have been doing it.<br />Congrats on the feature!<br />Melissa

Melissa
    March 31, 2010 at 8:18 am

also…<br />get a magic eraser!!! My 2 yr old (at the time) twins took a sharpie all over my BRAND NEW PIANO!! I about died!! The magic eraser took it right off!! I was so excited.. I even wrote them a letter to thank them!<br />Melissa

V and Co.
    March 31, 2010 at 8:19 am

bahah! picture of the damned. love it!<br />btw thanks for your tutorial. it turned out just wonderful!!!!

Cherie
    March 31, 2010 at 8:27 am

Please share the name of your miracle product! <br /><br />Love the table runner ๐Ÿ™‚

paulette
    March 31, 2010 at 8:32 am

Love it!! My kids are all grown now…ahhh, the good ol&#39;days!<br />Take care and thanks for the memories!!<br />Paulette

Danielle
    March 31, 2010 at 9:35 am

Love the table runner! It looks very easy to do, might even be able to squeak one out before Easter! Love the picture of your son, priceless, not mean! <br /><br />Ditto to Cherie&#39;s comment… what is the miracle product?

Laurie T
    March 31, 2010 at 9:39 am

I love the quilt runner perfect for small scraps!<br /><br />BTW Just a tip to everyone. I have used a dry erase marker to get sharpie markers out. If you color over the sharpie marks with a dry erase marker it pulls up the ink and stays wet long enough to wipe it off. I&#39;ve used it on the TV screen, fridge, and counter tops. I haven&#39;t used it on my walls though don&#39;t know how it

angela
    March 31, 2010 at 9:45 am

Love that you took the picture! If you can&#39;t laugh at it, most days you&#39;d be crying, right?! <br /><br />(Cute table runner, too!)

Kimberly
    March 31, 2010 at 11:30 am

Ah yes, the great Webkinz Withholding… been there done that (and I just hope no one takes one of MY webkinz away!)<br /><br />Glad your table&#39;s feeling better!

Denise :)
    March 31, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I love this photo; cherish and save it for years! They grow up so stinking fast. Good job on holding your cool and putting the Gecko in time out! ๐Ÿ™‚

DeeRoo
    March 31, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Bwhaahahaaaaaa….my husband and I got a kick out of the guilty in timeout…oh the tales you will be able to tell….his girlfriend!:)

Leslie
    March 31, 2010 at 5:13 pm

nah it is not mean… it is a really cute picture. a friends daughter left purple sharpie all over my kitchen table and all i have to say is thank goodness for magic erasers!! they are miracle workers.

Dena
    March 31, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser can erase anything! I use it to clean my iron all the time. BTW, the picture is cute. Thanks for sharing.

Little Lady Patchwork
    March 31, 2010 at 8:34 pm

You are a celebrity now! Great job w/the tutorial.<br /><br />BTW-The last photo is a classic. It happens a lot around here!

Dawn
    April 1, 2010 at 6:05 am

Amy, I like that you took a picture ~ real life and very cute (I know only after the fact for you). Congrats on the cute table runner tutorial ๐Ÿ™‚

Terresa
    April 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

As much as I love my Sharpies, I love my Magic Eraser probably more.<br /><br />Quilt on!

Di~
    April 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Amy: love the table runner and your directions, I really enjoy everything you make! tell me what is that backing fabric? I love it! Thank You. this is a bright spring spot for this cold idaho day.

Aimee
    April 2, 2010 at 6:24 am

I love this picture!! You couldn&#39;t have captured a more perfect moment– it&#39;s almost like a commercial! :o) Love it! Does your table pull apart and a leaf comes up from underneath? If so, I have the same one…Sharpie and all!

elei
    April 3, 2010 at 12:55 pm

haa! We just took video of my son proclaiming that daddy needed to &quot;say sorry&quot; for wiping his butt because he wanted mommy to do it. On the floor, irrational tears and all.

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    April 5, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Good for you. I was over at V and company and saw your wonderful tute.

luvinthemommyhood
    April 6, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Ohhhhh, pretty! Love this!

jaybird
    April 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm

super cute amy! i love quilt as you go projects!

Anonymous
    April 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Love the table runner. Toothpaste works wonders on Sharpie marks. I&#39;ve used it on painted walls, leather furniture and wood furniture. It is also very easy to wipe up.