Friends who like fabric

Guess who happened to come to Utah this week? Aunt Spicy! We could not let this event go unheralded and so, a lunch date was in order. At the very swanky and delicious Blue Lemon restaurant.  Aunt Spicy and I have a fun little story.  We have a mutual friend in Washington DC (hi JR!) where Aunt Spicy lives who told us about the other person’s quilting blog. So, we became bloggy pen pals. When we were in Maryland visiting my in-laws last summer, we got together to meet in person and went out to eat in Alexandria.  Turns out we a have a lot more in common than just quilt blogs and a love of thrifting.

First, we are both total Anglophiles (notice the Cath Kidston bag she brought!). We both have lived in England a couple of times.  Then, when she heard my maiden name, come to find out, we have the same ancestors (some British! Of course!). So not only are we kindred spirits, we are distant cousins too. How crazy is that? The connections cyberspace can make!

After our tasty lunch, we hit the fabric store next door. (What an amazing coincidence! It’s almost like someone planned it. Ahem.) I didn’t realize I had my camera with me until after we left the store itself, but here’s a picture of the pile of our loot. (We both used great restraint.) Afterward I realized that this was the first time I’d gone fabric shopping with a friend.  I have really nice friends in real life, but none of them really get giddy about going fabric shopping.  It’s so nice to find a friend who ‘gets’ this aspect of my life. πŸ™‚  Three cheers for Aunt Spicy!

Another fun outing I plan to take today is to the Beehive Bazaar with my girls. This is not your mother’s craft fair. It’s actually more like your grandmother’s craft fair with all the cool retro-vintagy stuff there. I always get inspired.  It’s where I got my neato Family Tree in December. If you’re local, it’s moved to Thanksgiving Point this time. Maybe I’ll see you there!

amylouwho
    May 7, 2010 at 7:07 am

how fun!! I still have yet to meet Aunt Spicy – hopefully before I move! <br />Thanks for introducing me to her as well! Did she tell you that she knows my husband? (Sort of) We all have a mutual friend and they all hung out in Houston one weekend several years before we got married. Small small world!!<br /><br />Next time I&#39;m in Utah, we&#39;ll totally go fabric shopping together!

angela
    May 7, 2010 at 7:37 am

what a fun outing! And how funny that you two are actually related – kindred spirits find each other no matter the distance. How wonderful.

About Me
    May 7, 2010 at 7:40 am

Give Aunt Spicy a hug from me! She is a neat lady. Like you, we have never met but we are friends from Blogland! <br /><br />Enjoy the time wth your girls!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    May 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

Shopping and lunch sounded like so much fun Amy! I haven&#39;t ever shopped with another fabricaholic either.

Blue Is Bleu
    May 7, 2010 at 9:03 am

That&#39;s amazing you guys found out you&#39;re related! And I don&#39;t really have friends who get dizzy about fabric too… although I have one in training lol She&#39;s learning to quilt but somehow I don&#39;t think she&#39;s quite obsessed yet.

girlsmama
    May 7, 2010 at 9:17 am

I&#39;ll go fabric shopping with you in real life. πŸ™‚

Aunt Spicy
    May 7, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Thanks so much AUS! That was such a fun afternoon! You are amazing, brilliant, fun, super talented….and my most favorite thing of the afternoon, seeing your inner-sewing-sanctum! Can&#39;t wait for a repeat on the east coast!

John'aLee
    May 7, 2010 at 10:35 pm

There&#39;s nothing like a kindred spirit. And once you find one, you hold onto it for life! Good for you.

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    May 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I was at the bazaar with my girls on saturday. It was really fun. I got some great stuff.

Whosies
    May 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm

oh, i missed the beehive bazarre, but hit HMQS {home machine quilt show} it was wonderful! <br />shopping with friends is always funner…. <br /><br />http://patchworkposse.com/blog

Kate
    May 15, 2010 at 12:25 am

I think we all have the same mutual friend– I&#39;m in Alex, too. But BC sent me Aunt Spicy&#39;s blog (you really should come to the dc modern quilt guild!) Shopping with friends who love fabric really is the best. And whenever I&#39;m in utah (coincidentally, this week) Blue Lemon and shopping next door is a treat. The shop cuts 1/8 yards, btw. Sounds like a great time.