In need of a summertime project: Hooked on Hexagons

Last Friday was our official last day of school.  (Thankfully not quite as eventful as last year.) Which means increased flexibility to our schedules (nice) and increased chaos (scary) trying to keep track of everyone around here. I am still trying to decide how I feel about the whole thing. I think some summer laziness is a rite-of-passage for kids,  but I’m also a little worried about my kids getting addicted to eating popsicles while watching Phineas and Ferb. We’ll see how this goes!
While there is much to love about summer: good food, warm nights, flip-flops (no socks!), sprinklers, decent tomatos, etc., I know that it will also mean less time hanging out with my sewing machine. And that’s okay. But I decided I need a good hand-work project to take with me to swimming lessons, the park, or on vacation.
I’ve had my eyes on hexagons for a little while now, but never took the plunge. Until now. There have been some really good posts about how to make hexagons recently.  Watching Angela get started was the final kicker for me.  She has a great post with links to other hexagon-quilting sites.   Texas Freckles (love that name!) also has some great hexagon-quilt-making videos.

And so I’m off to the races! And it is every bit as addicting as everyone says.  You’ve been warned.

Goddess in Progress
    May 31, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Oh dear… between you and Angela, I think I'm going to find myself powerless to resist. I do have a two-week trip to Chicago planned later this summer… 🙂

May 31, 2010 at 5:11 pm

They're always so pretty all stacked up!

May 31, 2010 at 5:49 pm

But what I'm wondering…IS HOW did our grandmother's make their hexagon Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts???? I wish she were here to ask!

Brian G.
    May 31, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Love your hexs. I started in February and have about 25 double flowers joined together and about 10 waiting to be joined. I LOVE IT. There is something soooo therapeutic about hand stitching hexagons.<br /><br />Did you know you can order your papers at paperpieces.com in bulk? If you are planning on making something really big – what are your plans?<br /><br />Leila

May 31, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Looking good! I&#39;ve just started my own hexagon project, I needed a handwork project for when I&#39;m on the ferry. I made six last night while watching TV and loved it!

Sarah Craig
    May 31, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I must…resist….hexagons….must…..resist….. (gosh I hope this works!) Yours are lovely, though!!

May 31, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I made the mistake years ago to start a grandmother&#39;s flower garden quilt but I didn&#39;t know that quilt fabric existed so I used the cheapo JoAnne&#39;s stuff! Now I&#39;m in the pickle of deciding whether or not to keep working on it, or scrap it for a new, better quality version<br /><br />I love your fabric choices.

May 31, 2010 at 8:14 pm

You are off to a terrific start…love them! It does make the perfect take-along project too!

May 31, 2010 at 8:48 pm

they look so pretty! wishing you a summer of relaxing (hopefully, right?)

the Material Girls Quilts
    May 31, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I love hexagons!! I have been working them forever, I just keep making the hexy&#39;s. (Must sew them together.) Love your fabric choices:)<br />Nadine

May 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Have fun! I am almost convinced! What are your plans for them? I always love summer road trips because I can use the time to bind quilts, but binding a quilt poolside doesn&#39;t really work. This would…

May 31, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I buy all my hexagons from paper pieces too. <br />http://www.paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d16.html<br /><br />With those, I cut out the whole basting step. I just fold the material around the hexagon and &#39;tack&#39; it down on the back without ever going through to the front. <br />Big Time Saver. <br />They are sooo fun!

May 31, 2010 at 11:07 pm

They are beautiful!

Char @ Crap I've Made
    May 31, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I haven&#39;t been able to stop thinking about them since I saw yours this weekend!

June 1, 2010 at 1:13 am

Those look vaguely familiar!!! It was good getting to know you. You are one of those people who just glows with kindness! I have added you to my blog roll so I can feature something special from here!

June 1, 2010 at 2:29 am

Fantastic start! I think my favourite is the sock monkey hexagon. Sock monkeys! *dies of the cute*<br /><br />Are you doing a truly scrappy version, with no repeats? I don&#39;t have enough fabric lying around to accomplish such a feat, so I have several repeats in my stash. I&#39;ve been sewing hexagons for about a month now, and am up to about 200. No idea how many I&#39;ll need to make

June 1, 2010 at 6:36 am

My very first quilt was a GFG. I agree, those hexies are very fun to make. I love your color choices.<br />I saw an English paper pieces project the other day on a blog, and ordered some papers. Can&#39;t believe I&#39;m signing up to do another one. I think I&#39;m in trouble too!

Kara@ Creations by Kara
    June 1, 2010 at 8:56 am

Oh my gosh, I just love your blog! I just joined a quilting guild, and it is so much fun. I&#39;m going to have to tell everyone about your site. But first I have to check out all your tutorials! 🙂

June 1, 2010 at 9:01 am

they are sooo pretty!! i just made my first hexies this week-end!! they are so fun!!

June 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm

eeek – I LOVE your hexagons!

Attic Rags
    June 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm

ADDICTING is right I can&#39;t stop

June 1, 2010 at 6:02 pm

LOVE it. It was so fun to see how FAST you were putting them together too. I can&#39;t wait to see how it turns out. So I need help! I finished my first quilt, well the top of it. Now what? I don&#39;t want to hand quit it because it&#39;s queen sized. Where do you do your quilting?

June 1, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Yes, Yes!! So totally addictive!! What a great choice for all those summer activities. It is definitely portable and convenient. Looking forward to seeing all your hexie goodness.

June 2, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I had never heard of a hexagon quilt until your blog the other day. I started this afternoon! I have so many scrap leftovers I never could just get rid of, and now I&#39;m glad I didn&#39;t! I enjoy your blog!

June 3, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Oooooh, they are incredible!

June 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

seems like everyone is hooked on hexies at the moment! i love the fabrics you picked!