Start spreading the news . . .

In June my husband has a business trip to New York, and I’m tagging along! My sister used to live in Manhattan and I stayed with her a couple of times. It was so much fun to see New York through the eyes of a ‘native’. I loved it! So when she moved to California last summer, although I was happy to have her only a couple of states away (and within driving distance), I will admit I was sad about not having the excuse to visit Manhattan. So hurray for business trips! It will be quick, but worth it.

There are a few places I want to visit like this one (the Metropolitan Museum), ride the Staten Island Ferry (free!), sit in Central Park, and walk the Brooklyn Bridge and get some great pizza.  I don’t really feel like I need to do the mid-town touristy stuff.  I’d rather find something off the beaten subway line.

Last time I visited my sister two years ago, I found this little place.  It was within a short walk of where she lived.  (This is my picture.)  I LOVED it, and then come to find out a couple months later, it has quite the online presence. It’s Purl Patchwork!  I’m so excited to checkout their new, bigger digs.

I don’t plan to hit Madison Avenue or buy any couture goods, but I’d love to find some hidden gems (read: cheaper deals) or cool locations.  Last time I was there I went to a sample sale for Hable Construction.  SO COOL! I bought some gorgeous upholstery remnants at like 90% off. That’s the kind of stuff I’d love to find.  Has anyone ever been to the Fabric District?  I’m trying to decide if I have the guts to try it. Is it worth my time? Any other great suggestions?? (Like good food?) I would LOVE to hear them. Really! Really.

Maybe I’ll bring something back for my favorite suggestion. :)

Comments

go to uniqlo! I believe they have a shop in soho, close to purl. they're japanese clothing shop but very well priced. their cahsmere are famous (and cheap)!

Have a great time in New York! The City Quilter is a great store, and they have their own NYC-themed fabrics and fun kits (quilting and non-quilting related). On weekends, there is a great antiques/flea market down the block (112 West 25th Street, and it is located in a garage). Occasionally they have old quilts and textiles.<br /><br />The Garment District is shrinking, and most of the

And don&#39;t forget Pearl River Mart, which should be right near Purl Soho. It is a giant store full of inexpensive and beautiful Asian items. Check out the silk coin purses, sake sets, chopstick gift sets, origami paper, cooking items, bathrobes, Asian candy, you name it!

Yay for you! <br /><br />Purl Soho was my favorite part of our NYC trip. I just wanted to stay all day and drink in the loveliness. <br /><br />Also, if you have time, check out the Manhattan temple. It&#39;s well worth the visit.

I would go to the Fabric/Garment district if I were not dragging along someone who was not interested in such things. HAVE FUN!

http://www.fishseddy.com/ They have their own dishes PLUS all kinds of old plates from restaurants, universities, hotels, etc. Last time I was there I found a giant platter with &quot;Peter Scott&#39;s&quot; on it. (Scott&#39;s name is Peter Scott.) Somehow I resisted buying the entire collection. Have fun. I wish I could go with you!

I&#39;ve just been to NYC one time, but have been itchin&#39; so bad to go back since I saw the new digs for purl soho online!!<br />We went to the Met &amp; rode the Staten Island ferry, I would recommend both highly!<br />It&#39;s not fabric but I&#39;ve heard Tinsel Trading Company is a must stop.

I know you will have such a wonderful time. I have a son that lives in Brooklyn. I&#39;m pretty sure he knows nothing about good fabric finds, or I&#39;d ask him.

I would LOVE to go to Purl and see their new place. A few years ago we went on a fabric district tour with Paula Nadelstern, famous for her kaleidoscope quilts. Anyway, we went to Mood, where Project Runway always shops (and interestingly that is where I found out my husband was a closet PR watcher!–I had no idea! Now we watch it together…) Paula told us the people in the fabric stores wouldn&

Yes! Go to the fabric district, but allot WAY more time than you think. There were a lot of Hindi fabrics in a lot of shops, but I think we only hit like 2 of 9 streets or something like that. I need to go back and go farther. <br /><br />Also, there&#39;s a really GREAT — like so great you stand outside and wait just so you can be sat by a rude waitress at some gigantic table with other

Oh Amy, I am so JEALOUS! What I wouldn&#39;t give to be going with you! Some great restaurants that I went to the last time I was there are: Sara Beth&#39;s- delicious food, but especially for breakfast. Pumpkin Waffles, Heaven! Grimaldi&#39;s Pizza in Brooklyn. So delicious and it was so worth the wait. And if you are in the mood for chocolate I recommend Jacques Torres. It is in

Oh! Go to this store:<br /><br />http://www.tinseltrading.com/index.php<br /><br />I met the owner, Marcia Ceppos, at the Mary Engelbreit Home Companion Workshops last month. She brought along a ton of stuff to sell and it made me want to just wander around that store and see what all there was to see. So go, take pictures, and share the experience as I&#39;m several years away from making a

You are so right. Stay away from downtown and do things the natives do. It will be really fun. I&#39;ve never got to the fabric district before but I&#39;d love to! Finding that little tiny mom and pop place to eat is the best.

Hi Amy<br /><br />Funniest thing–I was on the sarahjane blog and saw my favorite picture that I want for Kate&#39;s room. Loved the quilt with it–those are the exact colors I want to do for Kate&#39;s room redo. So then I went to your Etsy and thought I know you!! How funny–it is such a small world–especially if you blog. I so badly want to get into quilting. I need to wait until they

Funny that I live in NY and dream of going quilt shopping in Utah. Purl is great and City Quilter is as well, but we&#39;re definitely in need of more!<br /><br />We do, however, have the best food in the world.<br />Enjoy the city!

The Fabric District is definitely worth seeing – and remember, if the store is so small that you can&#39;t lift your elbows without hitting fabric (or walls) you&#39;ll get great prices there!! Bigger store, higher prices! Have fun, I&#39;m jealous!!

I was going to say the City Quilter too. They have awesome fabrics and the staff is amazing! Of course, Purl is great too. I also like P &amp; S Fabrics. :)

Just moved to Brooklyn, and trying to find out all the goodies myself. If you are here on a Monday night come to Brooklyn to the Etsy headquarters to attend the weekly FREE crafting night! It is great!<br /><br />P&amp;S Fabrics is good and Purl is out of this world!!!