Field Trip Friday: M & J Trimming, Manhattan

I was so grateful for the list of great suggestions of things to do in New York when I announced that I was going to there about a month ago.  One of the suggestions that came up a few times was M & J Trimming.  Little did I know that this is somewhat of a NY icon.  It’s located on 6th Avenue between 37th and 38th, just up the street from Macy’s Department Store.

If you need it, this place has got it! Holy smokes. That wall is just ribbon.

And here is the wall of Crystals.

Buttons anyone? And this was only a fraction of the button collection.

My pictures just don’t do this place justice. Pretty much everything you need for weddings, crafting, making clothes, studs for your inner-motorcyle-babe wear, Renaissance Festival gown, you name it. You know that if this is where Martha Stewart comes to get her crafting supplies, it’s got to be fabulous.

You can order from their huge selection online at mjtrim.com.

They also have a great blog at blog.mjtrim.com.

Once again (as with Purl Soho) expect to pay New York City scale prices. (And why not? After all, they do cater to the likes of Martha.)  Coming from Utah, Land of Abundant (and often Cheap) Craft Supplies, I didn’t buy much. But I couldn’t walk away totally empty-handed and found these cute little trims.  Love those dapper little Scottie Dogs.

If you’re going to the Fabric District in NY, M & J Trimming is totally worth the stop!  Next field trip: The Fabric District.

Sarah Craig
    June 25, 2010 at 6:09 am

It is a cool shop, isn't it? I agree with you about the prices – I have a hard time paying more than at home- but I couldn't resist walking away with a few things myself! Can't wait to see where you went in the Fabric District!

June 25, 2010 at 6:49 am

kinda makes me wanna go to new york now!

June 25, 2010 at 6:54 am

This is a great series. I was in NYC many years ago, and I would love to go back.

June 25, 2010 at 7:06 am

the scotties would be great made up into a dog collar and leash.

June 25, 2010 at 7:51 am

That would be a great place to spend a day drooling over all the merchandise. I must say I am in love with all the cool buttons! I'll have to go drool over there website some day.

Little Lady Patchwork
    June 25, 2010 at 8:02 am

That is a Crafter&#39;s Pradise! Thanks for sharing.<br /><br />Stefanie

June 25, 2010 at 8:19 am

OK this post makes me sad that there&#39;s nothing like this within a 100 mile radius of me. Boo!!<br /><br />Nerys x

June 25, 2010 at 8:41 am

Oh, my– it&#39;s Disney World for crafters/stitchers! I think I would get giddy just seeing their banner.

June 25, 2010 at 9:16 am

Wow! I was just in the neighborhood and did not see this. This is incredible. So wished I could have stopped in!!

Quiet Quilter
    June 25, 2010 at 9:20 am

If I was able to go there, I would just wander around with my mouth open, looking all around saying, &quot;Gollllleeeee&quot; like Gomer Pyle. Such a variety of things!

June 25, 2010 at 11:13 am

wow – so much for the eyes to feast on!<br /><br />Hope you had a fab time. Am busy trying out my first &#39;proper&#39; quilt :)<br /><br />Amelia.x

live a colorful life
    June 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I got some ribbon there too. Such a fun store. I&#39;ll have to post a picture of what I spent the most money on in the NYC fabric district, so not &quot;me&quot; but I love it: 1/2 yard of two-toned chartreuse fake fur. I know. Sounds horrible. It is really gorgeous.

June 25, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Yes, yes, yes!! I would have definitely recommended M &amp; J Trim. I have been so behind in blog reading that I must have missed that post. Isn&#39;t that the most fantastic place? It kind of makes your head spin, but the color is just fabulous. I so loved it too!

June 25, 2010 at 8:52 pm

wow, i&#39;m drooling!

June 25, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Good googly-moogly! Hobby Lobby, Joanns &amp; Hancocks, all put together and then put on steroids! I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll ever go there, just for fear I might never leave!

June 26, 2010 at 12:31 am

Hi Amy just wanted to let you know I am having my first give away, Please check out my little blog.

Crafty Chops
    June 26, 2010 at 5:28 pm

OMG!<br /><br />They need to open a store in the UK!!!!

June 27, 2010 at 12:07 am

Be. Still. My. Heart. Any friend of Martha&#39;s is a friend of mine :o)

June 29, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I&#39;m so glad you got a chance to go to M&amp;J! The store is really incredible, and it has more walls packed to the ceiling with trimmings, ribbons and sequins than these impressive photos even show. I definitely recommend a trip there. 🙂

July 4, 2010 at 1:51 am

Boo hoo….I want some of that Scottie Dog ribbon. I am off to see if they have an online shop….

Purl Soho New York fabric shop
    September 28, 2016 at 1:07 pm

[…] Next week’s field trip: M & J Trimming. […]

Field Trip Friday: New York City Fabric Distric - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    October 6, 2016 at 2:28 pm

[…] But now I have them when inspiration strikes.  All this was around $8.  My much smaller haul from M & J Trimming was around […]

Quilt shops in New York City