Field Trip Friday: Purl Soho

One of my favorite stops on our recent trip to Manhattan was the new Purl Soho shop. Check out that front window alone. Does it get your creative juices flowing?? The pillows, the wool circle garland . . .

Purl was a knitting store opened in NY in 2002.  A few years later a fabric/quilting store was opened down the street called Purl Patchwork.  Just a few months ago both stores were combined into one larger location called Purl Soho. They also have a beautiful, inspiring blog called Purlbee as well as an online fabric store called Purlsoho.com.  I visited Purl Patchwork – a tiny little shop with gorgeous fabrics (and my favorite wall of Liberty prints in hoops) two years ago.  It wasn’t until later that I found their blog.  I’ve since been inspired numerous times and was so excited to go back and see their new digs.

And here they are.  A gorgeous, light, open space with high ceilings and everything beautifully organized. I loved how uncluttered the store felt. (Rather different than shops in the Fabric District.)

Once again – not an overwhelming amount of fabric, but each bolt was well chosen.  A lot of great Japanese imports, whimsical Alexander Henry prints, and a collection of good basics. Look at the fabulous collection of Echino prints at the bottom.

LOVELY collection of prints by Liberty of London. The real stuff. (Like $35.00 a yard stuff – which I still can’t bring myself to buy. But if anyone wants to give me some, I would cheerfully take it off their hands. *wink, wink*) So I didn’t bring any home, but it was nice to just oogle it and pet it for a while.

One of my favorite quilts from Purl is their Color Wheel quilt.
I want to make one of these one day.

This pretty bundle is a kit to make the Color Wheel quilt.
I also loved how the whole store was grouped like a color spectrum.
So appealing to the eye. And soothing.
The whole shop felt so clean, organized and conducive to igniting that creative spark.
 Some pretty non-color items as well.

Lot of great fabric collections pre-bundled to choose from. This one was my favorite. How I wanted to take those little spaceships home with me.

If you go, expect a NYC (i.e. higher) price scale on everything.  I didn’t buy much (because I’m such a bargain fabric shopper) but I loved pretty much everything in the store.

The staff was really helpful and patient too. (I got a kick out of one girl patiently trying to explain to a customer why the lightweight, gauzy fabric she wanted wouldn’t be the greatest choice to re-cover an ottoman. The poor associate was trying to be affirming of this customer’s good taste in fabric, while helping her understand that some fabric is not made for furniture. The customer kept pleading, “yeah, but I love this one” as if the sales associate would just say, “Oh, okay. I’ll just pull out my magic fabric wand and make that fabric into sturdy upholstery fabric, impervious to any wear and tear.” In the end the customer decided she would just get double the amount of fabric and cover her ottoman in two layers – because quickly wearing out two layers of expensive gauze makes so much more sense. But hey- if you’ve got the cash, you can re-cover furniture – and re-cover again – in whatever you want!)

Anyway, visit Purl Soho – or at least the Purlbee blog – and I promise you will be inspired many times over.

Next week’s field trip: M & J Trimming.

Sherri
    June 18, 2010 at 6:21 am

Great pictures and post…I'd really like to go one day…but for now just seeing the pictures is inspiring!

Karen
    June 18, 2010 at 6:27 am

Thanks Amy. I loved looking at your photos of the shop. So soothing. All that gorgeous natural light.

Katy
    June 18, 2010 at 6:35 am

it&#39;s such a beautiful shop – I really want to go back to NYC just for purl!!!<br /><br /><br />ps – email me your address x

mascanlon
    June 18, 2010 at 6:41 am

I do love their blog and maybe someday I&#39;ll drag Mr.GardenOnTheDeck all the way across the country to see it myself. In the mean time thanks for the photos.

jodi @ Pleasant Home
    June 18, 2010 at 6:49 am

love the front window!

angela
    June 18, 2010 at 6:54 am

thanks for the tour! I&#39;ve loved them since my knitting days. so many great ideas come through Purl.

Little Lady Patchwork
    June 18, 2010 at 7:38 am

Purl Soho is on my list of &quot;Must See Quilt Shops&quot;! Thanks for the eye candy :0)

mother★lode
    June 18, 2010 at 7:58 am

FUN!!!!!!

Jennifer
    June 18, 2010 at 8:05 am

Oooh! I&#39;m so jealous. The Purlbee blog was one of the first blogs I ever found and it really inspired me to start quilting. Thanks for the great pictures!<br /><br />Jennifer 🙂

Mauri
    June 18, 2010 at 8:18 am

What a beautiful shop! It&#39;s so full of light and looks so clean and modern. Thanks for the pictures. I love all the colors. <br />So sorry I didn&#39;t get down to the quilt store yesterday, I really wanted to come by and see you. I overdid it with my errands on Wednesday and was too wiped out to do much yesterday. Let&#39;s just say I won&#39;t be pushing a Costco cart around again

Sarah
    June 18, 2010 at 8:42 am

I am going to be in NY City next week…I am going to try to make this stop! It looks so wonderful!

madebymum
    June 18, 2010 at 9:31 am

I am so envious the shop looks beautiful

Mary
    June 18, 2010 at 11:05 am

I&#39;m so jealous you got to visit Purl Soho! What a beautiful shop! I&#39;d love to visit, but I probably wouldn&#39;t let myself pay the higher prices either!

Nedra
    June 18, 2010 at 3:56 pm

You were so lucky to be able to visit Purl Bee. I&#39;d be in such big trouble if I went in there. I don&#39;t know how you resisted not buying everything there.

Blue Is Bleu
    June 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I&#39;m going to be in the city next month so I&#39;ll need to go check out the new Purl Bee digs! And I feel for that sales associate because I get customers like that all the time too hehe

Jackie
    June 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

This is on my list of shops I&#39;d love to visit one day. Your pictures are beautiful and confirmed that this store should remain on my list.<br /><br />I love my fabric organized by color but not my yarn.

Lisa
    June 20, 2010 at 4:22 am

I would LOVE to visit this store one day…and your photos look lovely!

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    June 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I will say New Yorkers are a funny bunch. They want what they want and when they want it. no compromise! funny story. Love Purl.

Corrie
    June 22, 2010 at 6:46 pm

ohhhh lucky you! I&#39;d love to visit if it weren&#39;t on the opposite side of world to home :)<br /><br />corrie:)

Teresa
    June 23, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Thanks – I&#39;m planning a visit to New York next year with my daughter, and this will be on our list of places to visit.<br />I was lucky enough to have afternoon tea at Liberty&#39;s in London last week – it&#39;s a fab shop! I have a box of scraps if you&#39;d like some

pinksuedeshoe
    June 24, 2010 at 12:12 am

I am in love with your photos. They are absolutely stunning. And I have had this post open on my computer for like 4 hours. I just keep coming back to look at these pretty pics. LOVE them! (Also…. I&#39;m jealous :o)

Diane
    June 28, 2010 at 6:23 am

I am so jealous! I&#39;ve never been to Purl but at least I get to look at your delicious photos. . .<br />Thanks so much for sharing your trip photos with us.

Aunt Spicy
    June 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Ohhh their new shop looks amazing!

jaybird
    July 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm

beautiful shop!! i have that color wheel quilt on my to-do list too!

kevnjacks
    November 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Great post! I believe I must have been there around the same time as you that yr because I actually bought that bundle with the spaceships! The pieces are now in a quilt for #4. See? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150435426150343&amp;set=a.152558870342.237322.866515342&amp;type=3&amp;theater<br />Have a blessed day!

amy smart
      November 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Love those spaceships. And your quilt is ADORABLE! Thanks so much for sharing!

Fabric shops in New York - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    June 8, 2015 at 1:26 pm

[…] Purl Soho Pins and Needles Boutique upper east side The City Quilter M&J Trimming The Fabric District Pearl River Mart, Soho Jonathan Adler Store, Soho Metropolitan Museum […]