Working with Denyse Schmidt

More accurately, working with Denyse Schmidt fabric.  Mmm . .  Hope Valley.
This past weekend I took on a new project. I offered to make one more quilt (including kits) for the store where I occasionally work before the Shop Hop that starts today. Last year I was swamped and stressed trying to pull together the the Snippets Hexagon quilt and the Vintage Stars quilt and I vowed I would not pull that stunt again. But I did. Kind of.
Part of me thinks I was crazy – especially in light of the fact that on Sunday my life got handed a few more new responsibilities – and the other part of me has found this project very theraputic and pleasant.  It’s been a really quick project to finish. And I got to finally sew with some of the Hope Valley collection. Lovely.
Here is a little sneak peak. I am working with the fabrics available at the store, obviously, and I threw in that sour yellow. I kind of love how it looks.  Every quilt needs a good zinger.
Post edit: Augh! I forgot to mention that I can take no credit whatsoever for the design of this quilt. It was totally inspired by Jennifer’s quilt that I found during the Blogger’s Quilt Festival.  Love at first sight. I’m so happy to have made one myself now.  Thanks Jennifer, for the great inspiration!
And for those of you wondering what the heck this Wasatch Front Shop Hop is, it is a collection of quilt stores who get together to offer sales and other fun activities – kind of a big party all week.  (The Wasatch Mountains run north-to-south along the east side of the Salt Lake Valley – the cities that run along the west side of those mountains are called the Wasatch Front. Park City and other resorts are along the east side of those mountains – the Wasatch back. And there is your little Utah geography lesson today.)
It starts today and goes through Saturday. I’ll be working at American Quilting from 2:30 to 8:00 on Thursday – I probably won’t bring the quilt or kits in until then – but if you’re local and you’re Shop-Hopping, come say Hi!

June 16, 2010 at 6:12 am

oooh, great idea to throw in that zingy dot!<br /><br />Love how hope valley works in every single design. It is sucha great collection, I think once it disappears for good people will apreciate it even more.

June 16, 2010 at 6:48 am

Oh MY! I love this so much! Very Very Cute! <br />I also wanted to tell you that I check your blog every morning! It was one of the first Sewing Blogs that I started reading! You always amaze me with your beautiful creations!

June 16, 2010 at 6:59 am

Your blog gives me so much inspiration and has got my making quilts by the dozen lately. I was thinking about sending one out to be quilted a little fancier but have no idea how much it should cost? The quilt I want to send out is about 40 by 70 inches, any ideas about how much it should cost? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I dont have any quilt shops close that do this type of thing, so a

Little Lady Patchwork
    June 16, 2010 at 7:11 am

It is going to be a beautiful quilt! Funny how we always say &quot;never again&quot;….and then…it happens again.<br /><br />Enjoy your quilting,<br />Stefanie

Becki and Jeff
    June 16, 2010 at 7:41 am

I&#39;m going to have to send mom out there as a treat! She would get lost among all the fun as well as I!

June 16, 2010 at 8:35 am

Beautiful fabrics. I&#39;ll have to try and come in to the store and say hi!

That Girl
    June 16, 2010 at 8:42 am

Yay! Your quilt is going to be just beautiful! I can&#39;t wait to see it finished…<br /><br />Jennifer 🙂

June 16, 2010 at 8:46 am

adorable! I love the white and green polka dot fabric you added into the mix

June 16, 2010 at 9:27 am

Beautiful quilt. So, fess up! What is your new responsibility? RS, YW, P?

V and Co.
    June 16, 2010 at 9:37 am

oh man i wish i could go up an see you this weekend!!!! have fun!!!

live a colorful life
    June 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

Great choice of additional fabrics that you added to Hope Valley!

June 16, 2010 at 11:58 am

I love anything Denyse. I have several of her patterns in the line up.<br />Sounds like you just got a big church calling. I&#39;m guessing Primary President? Best of luck!<br />And I too wish I could come up for Shop Hop, but it&#39;s not in the cards for this year.

holly p
    June 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Gorgeous quilt! That yellow really takes it up a notch 🙂 I think I might have to try a quilt like this!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    June 16, 2010 at 3:21 pm

It&#39;s beautiful Amy. I missed Jennifer&#39;s during the Blogger&#39;s Quilt Festival, so I&#39;m glad you linked her in too. I recently finished my Hope Valley and it makes me smile every time I see it! I&#39;m sure the kits will be a hit!

June 16, 2010 at 7:03 pm

gorgeous, love how you threw in the spots! perfect!<br /><br />love hope valley and since i have the teensiest collection of flea market fancy I feel lucky to have this range<br /><br />Corrie;)

June 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm

The quilt is going to be great. There were lots of lovlies including Jenifers that came from Randi at i have to say&#39;s Road to Spring tutorial and quilt along.

June 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm