Flag Quilt (and a little Purple Mountains Majesty)

I present – the finished Flag Quilt.
Perhaps a new all time favorite.
Last week my friend Julie, from Norway, was here. I’ve already mentioned in a previous post that we met in England and lived in the same flat for 5 months. And became life-long friends. It always feels like no time has passed when we see each other again, even though it’s been a few years in between. We had a GREAT time just talking.
  Thirteen years ago I visited her family in Norway with my parents.
(We were even there for the 4th of July.)
Let me just say, if you ever get the chance to visit Norway, run.
It’s quite possibly one of the most beautiful places ever, in my humble opinion.
Here we are last week in downtown Salt Lake City.
(Which one of us looks like they’ve aged a lot faster?)
And so I made her a quilt for the occasion. And since I’ve been on a bit of a flag kick, I decided to use her three favorite flags. (Julie was born in the US and lived here for part of her childhood, so she has dual citizenship.) Isn’t it great that their colors coordinate so nicely?  Once again, I used Cath Kidston as my muse as well.
And I am so happy to report that she loved it. Hooray! She’s always wanted a quilt. We both cried.  Isn’t that the greatest feeling? Giving someone a quilt that they love?
The back. All the fabric in this quilt came from the stash. Woo.
 I love the blue and white floral stuff – so Scandanavian looking to me.
Reminded me of Julie’s mom’s kitchen.
Well, all the fabric was from the stash except for one. The binding. I was having a hard time finding just the right thing, when I found this awesome red dot print for 50% off. Perfect!
I didn’t wash the quilt because I figured it would be easier for her to transport back home nice and flat.  I guess I’ll just have to find a way to get back to Norway sometime to see how the quilt looks washed.
And here is a little bit more of those mountains.

Happy holiday to those of you in the states!

Linking up to Amy’s Sew and Tell

July 5, 2010 at 6:21 am

I absotivley posilutely love the quilt. My fathers family is Norewegian, my brother lives in Oregon , my mothers family is British…mmmmm? I've gotta figure out how to put the Canadian flag into that and it would be a go for me. I think yours works so well due to all the straight lines on the flags. The pesky maple leaf could cause some design problems. I just had to tell you how much I

July 5, 2010 at 6:37 am

Thanks for sharing…loved your story of a wonderful friend, flags…oh and your mountains. Are those Utah mountains? I love the way the mountains are in the distance in Salt Lake City! I had to go see your profile to see if you lived there! Also a gorgeous place!<br />Paulette

July 5, 2010 at 7:26 am

Oh, Amy, your quilt turned out fabulous! I bet it was hard to give this one away. <br />Isn&#39;t this a pattern you designed? If so, you need to publish for sure! <br />I have been to Oslo, and I agree, beautiful place. Our family roots are from Copenhagen.

July 5, 2010 at 7:31 am

wow – it&#39;s perfect and such a great idea to use all 3 flags! Such a lovely story too.<br /><br />I took a quilt home from the US and carried in my carry on so I could sleep under it all the way home, instead of those horrible airline blankets!

Little Lady Patchwork
    July 5, 2010 at 8:16 am

Amy that quilt is amazing and it looks so beautiful against the backdrop of the mountains!<br /><br />BTW-the fabrics in the quilt remind me of Cath :0)<br /><br />Two thumbs up,<br />Stefanie

Sarah N.
    July 5, 2010 at 8:18 am

I love the quilt! Maybe I could make one of countries I have visited….hmmmmm….Canada, England, France, Switzerland, Italy…and of course the USA! Thanks for sharing!

July 5, 2010 at 8:35 am

Fabulous! I love all the flags and they look so wonderful in all the Cath-inspired fabrics. The way you arranged them is so cool – not all just sitting there in a row. Love it! And that it will be so loved is the best!

July 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

I just LOVE this quilt!<br /><br />thank you for sharing it πŸ™‚

July 5, 2010 at 8:40 am

i&#39;m putting my hand over my heart right now!<br />I pledge allegiance to this quilt……<br /><br />FABulous!!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    July 5, 2010 at 8:44 am

Just a smashing quilt Amy! What a thoughtful gift for a long time friend.

Denise :)
    July 5, 2010 at 8:49 am

I particularly like that last picture … with the majestic mountains in the background and your beautiful flag quilt … beautiful! πŸ™‚

July 5, 2010 at 9:01 am

It is perfect! Beautiful.

Sew Create It - Jane
    July 5, 2010 at 10:50 am

What an amazing quilt!! And how wonderful that she loved it…that is the best feeling in the world!

live a colorful life
    July 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Absolutely amazing quilt! What a special gift to a special friend.

Blue Is Bleu
    July 5, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Ooh I love it! I was thinking of making a flag quilt to represent the countries I&#39;ve lived in and where I ended up.

Kristine Hanson
    July 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm

wow, wow, wow! this is lovely, I would have cried too! nice job!

July 5, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Beautiful quilt!! Although I have to tell you that the first thing (literally) out of my mouth when I saw that photo was, &quot;aaawwwwhhh, Utah!&quot; πŸ™‚ (and I know I&#39;ve made similar comments a thousand times here before… please forgive my, um, vain repetition…)

Katie B.
    July 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm

This is a stunning quilt, Amy! What a wonderful gift.

Emily {Creative Chicks}
    July 5, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I love this quilt on so many levels…

July 6, 2010 at 7:19 am

So beautiful!!! Great gift!!! Hope you all had fun!!<br /><br />Blessings,<br /><br />KT

Calli Makes Do
    July 6, 2010 at 7:56 am

The quilt is so wonderful! Your friend is a lucky gal. It makes me want to make a flag quilt… or at least a pillow.

July 6, 2010 at 11:41 am

this is beyond gorgeous.

July 6, 2010 at 12:37 pm

This is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen! Thank you for sharing. I want one!! πŸ™‚

a little bit biased
    July 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I LOVE that quilt! It is so cool! Great job!! (I&#39;m a fellow Utahn too! πŸ™‚

July 6, 2010 at 9:52 pm

What a nice gift! It is gorgeous. I just love those flags and the overall look of it.

July 7, 2010 at 12:06 am

Kara@ Creations by Kara
    July 7, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Oh my gosh Amy, this quilt is absolutely stunning! You continue to amaze me!

July 8, 2010 at 10:21 pm

What a great quilt. I love our beautiful mountains.

July 10, 2010 at 1:32 am

wow…that&#39;s a great idea to make a flag quilt…looks awesome…thank you for the idea

July 10, 2010 at 3:55 am

Love, love, love the flag quilt.

Larri @ Seams Inspired
    July 10, 2010 at 4:10 am

Love the quilt, but especially love the story. You&#39;ve created a tangible piece of your friend&#39;s and your history. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

July 10, 2010 at 9:59 am

Very creative and lovely quilt! It&#39;s wonderful to have such a great friend. Thanks for sharing!

Rita E
    July 10, 2010 at 1:01 pm

What a fantastic quilt! Loving it! Enjoyed the post … thanks for sharing!

July 11, 2010 at 5:24 am

What a beautiful quilt! I&#39;m a Norwegian who has lived one year in the States and on year in England – you should make a pattern of the quilt! We Norwegians normally don&#39;t use our flag for anything else but as a flag. The only exception is flags on napkins and the use of the colors on our national day. It was wonderful to see that someone else had done what many of us secretly want to do –

April (Polkadot Sparrow)
    July 11, 2010 at 7:49 am

Your friend hit the jackpot with this one! πŸ™‚ It&#39;s a great idea and wonderfully executed. I love quilts that have such stories and meaning. <br /><br />I dream of making my own flag quilt some day and you have encouraged me even more! πŸ™‚

Amber H.
    July 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm

This is beautiful! I love it and it is pretty awesome how all three flags share the same colors. You did a great job!

July 11, 2010 at 1:50 pm

This is absolutely stunning, with a precious story!

SΓΈlvi's blog
    July 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Great quilt and lovely story behing. Good to hear you still have contact after all this years.

Lori Holt
    July 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Hi Amy…<br />I just LOVE it as I told you before…I&#39;m so glad I got to see a finished photo before you gave it away to your dear friend…I just know she loved it!<br />x<br />lori

July 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm

ok that quilt is amazing….if you made that up you need to make a pattern, its beautiful!

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    July 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/sk.html<br /><br />I want to make your quilt with this flag in it. I LOVE it. oh how I love it. I could easily do it I think. And applique the shield. I&#39;m half danish and half slovakian. But everyone in Utah is danish or something scandanavia. Not many are slovak and I&#39;m proud of my non-lds heritage too.

July 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm

love it Amy ~ what a sweet wonderful gift for a friend of 13 years.

July 23, 2010 at 3:28 am

That is a quilt to melt many hearts – it is beautiful and have strong symbolism of friendship across nations. As a norwegian, my hart skipped a beat when I saw it. <br />Life long friendships needs celebrating!!<br /><br />; )

Lynne (Lily's Quilts)
    February 16, 2011 at 10:15 am

Yup, I of course love love love this quilt! I didn&#39;t realise it was yours though – it&#39;s great sometimes to be able to connect the dots…

June 14, 2011 at 6:50 am

This came out great! Nicely done.

July 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

Love it love it love it!

February 6, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I have been looking at all the beautiful projects, the many truly wonderful pieces…. I love them all!<br />