Japanese Sewing and Stitching

I realized I never shared the fun things I actually purchased when I went to Purl Soho. This book was my favorite find: a book of Japanese stitching and sewing crafts for babies! (We have a whole slew of nephews arriving this fall, so we are in full-on Baby Stuff mode!)

This adorable book is by Aranzi Aronzo and comes from Japan.

Every single project is charming – as are the instructions. It’s like reading a comic book. And the instructions are in English! (Which is so helpful for those of us who are Japanese-Language/Character-Challenged.)

Seriously cute, no?

My copy at Purl Soho cost $14.95 (list price). You can order the books from the Aranzi Aranzo site, (which is equally charming and adorable, by the way –  be sure to read the page about Mr. Aranzi and Mr. Aranzo) but the prices are listed in Yen.
However, you may want to be my best friend when I tell you this, Baby Stuff is also available on Amazon.com as well as the books Cute Stuff, Fun Dolls.

And, while I used incredible feats of Fabric resisting strength, I did come home with a few pieces. The fruits are Willow Orchard by Alexander Henry and the other two are Japanese prints on linen.  I think they’re both by Kokka (someone correct me if I’m wrong.) Green apples and little Wizard of Oz people. I’ve been eyeing that Wizard of Oz print for sometime. Have no idea what I’m going to do with it, but I couldn’t resist buying a little 1/4 yard.

joliesjunebugboutique
    July 7, 2010 at 6:26 am

Oh I love the Fruit print! That would make such cute little aprons for kids or little placemats!

Jodi
    July 7, 2010 at 7:01 am

How very nice! And I admire your restraint in only buying 1/4 yd. <br />:-)

Quiet Quilter
    July 7, 2010 at 7:27 am

Love &#39;em. I would almost be tempted to frame them and put them up in a baby&#39;s room!

Grace
    July 7, 2010 at 7:49 am

I couldn&#39;t resist the Wizard of Oz print either. : ) That line also has the Emperor&#39;s New Clothes which is my favorite. It is available on Quilt Taffy&#39;s Etsy shop. It is hard not to get some : ) Now what to do with it.

paulette
    July 7, 2010 at 8:00 am

Thanks for sharing…love the book and your fabrics!!<br />Paulette

Char @ Crap I've Made
    July 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

So so jealous!

pinksuedeshoe
    July 7, 2010 at 8:36 am

That fruit print = DYING of cuteness! My hubby gave me two Aranzi Aranzo books for Christmas last year, and they are two of my very favorite crafty/sewy books. I think they have them at Barnes and Noble in the store too. I know what I&#39;m going to be pulling out during naptime!

Kristie
    July 7, 2010 at 10:32 am

You just cost me….an order placed for some Oz fabric (and a dozen more, since I was at it!). <br /><br />:-)

myimaginaryblog
    July 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I think I would freeze like a deer in the headlights at Purl Soho. But I would also LOVE it. I love your selections.<br /><br />I just discovered the Freebird line when I stumbled on the half-off sale at DB. I think I took much of what was left by then–the green butterflies, the red/brown/cream floral, and a green floral and a blue floral. I sew apparel rather than quilts (so the NY fabric

Amanda K @ Every Crafty Endeavor
    July 7, 2010 at 9:15 pm

It as so nice to meet you last week at GNO! I am totally loving your fun blog!

Lynnie
    July 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

Yay for nephews! Finally narrowing the gap on the U family side, are we? I actually had to think for a second who the third was- I guess I keep forgetting I&#39;m getting one too!

Dionne
    July 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Aren&#39;t those Japanese crafts cute! But I found them incredibly difficult to actually MAKE! Perhaps it&#39;s because I have&#39;t enough patience for teeny tiny fiddly stuff. Give me nice size piecing any day!<br />Cheers,<br />Dionne