Living in the moment

This has been one of “those” weeks. As you can see, I didn’t even get to this week’s Field Trip Friday post, so we’ll save it for next week. Instead you get pictures from our camping trip this weekend.
Some sad things and pretty tender feelings around here this week. Not things that happened to me personally, but to some people I care about. Also, my sister-in-law came to visit, which turned out to be a God-send. She was such a blessing and a help.  I’m grateful for those tender mercies.  And it was fun to stay up late and talk with her about young love and watch So You Think You Can Dance. ๐Ÿ™‚
It’s a state holiday in Utah this weekend – Pioneer Day – hence the camping trip. I have to admit, I’m not a huge camping fan. So much work and preparation to go and get dirty and not get a lot of sleep. Then you get to bring home cranky, dirty kids and a lot of laundry. [That’s the bad attitude part.] But once we were there it was such a good thing. First of all, it was gorgeous.  Second, it is so good to be able to be with the kids with no distractions. No cell phones, TV, computer, email, etc. I was reminded THAT is why we do this. The opportunity to fully focus my life on what is most important, without all the distractions.

As the summer is fast flying by, I find myself getting more and more tired and longing for a little more structure. (Not to mention a tiny bit of solitude once in a while.)  But at the same time, I don’t want to waste it or wish it away. While this week has been emotional, it has also helped to remind me what matters most and to do better about Living in the Moment and not rushing through this time of having my kids around me. And please forgive me if I’m a little slower responding to emails or visiting blogs for a few more weeks.

I am pretty sure I’m not alone in this.
Best of luck in your own summer-time crazy balancing act.

And thank goodness for portable hexagons.

P.S. We camped at Payson Lake in Utah.
Fortunately the night before we got there,
they caught the bear that had been spotted in the vicinity.
 Really.

Blogful
    July 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Where did you go camping? Is that Utah?? Looks gorgeous. Do tell.

Denise :)
    July 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I&#39;m sorry you&#39;ve had a tough week. Your hexies look cute — and you did have the purple mountain&#39;s majesty as a backdrop! Hope next week is better.<br /><br />And I&#39;m glad they caught the bear *before* you got there! ๐Ÿ™‚

Emily {Creative Chicks}
    July 24, 2010 at 4:44 pm

We LOVE Payson Lakes, too! Beautiful and quiet…

Princess Martha
    July 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous spot! Love those Hexagons ๐Ÿ™‚

Petit Design Co.
    July 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm

really? a bear? my husband and I used to go fishing up at Payson Lake when we were still in college. <br /><br />Enjoy the outdoors while you can because someday you may find yourself living in the South!<br /><br />Love the hedgie hexie!<br /><br />Good luck on a new week.

Gayle
    July 24, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I heard about the bear in that area – glad you didn&#39;t have a close encounter with it!

Anna
    July 24, 2010 at 8:58 pm

beautiful pic, and I&#39;m glad you&#39;re enjoying what&#39;s left of summer with your kids. My oldest starts 4K this fall and I&#39;m already wondering how fast time flies!

pinksuedeshoe
    July 25, 2010 at 12:36 am

Oh wow, I haven&#39;t been to Payson Lakes since I was a little girl. The only thing I remember about it was that my sister got like 250 mosquito bites and I got 3. They just don&#39;t like me. Happy 24th!

SubeeSews
    July 25, 2010 at 9:24 am

WOW! That is a powerful picture!<br />I need to work on my Hexies again!<br />Subee

PearlsAndGreenTea
    July 25, 2010 at 10:19 am

Beautiful scenery! and the hexagons are sooo adorable!<br /><br />http://pearlsandgreentea.blogspot.com/

Lori
    July 25, 2010 at 11:56 am

i am sorry that sad things have happened to you guys. love you all! see you monday!

girlsmama
    July 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I&#39;m glad they caught the bear! We were up there for the 4th and the bear was around. I hope they found a good new home for it. Hope your week is better.

Alisa
    July 26, 2010 at 10:05 am

Very nice post and I&#39;m totally understanding the feeling. I too love the structure of &#39;regular life&#39; but love that I&#39;m getting to know my kids better because it&#39;s summer time and they are home. We have to enjoy them, teach them, mold them while they are young and summer time is really good for that. Keep striving to be a good mom, Amy! That&#39;s way more important than