I’m sure these tutorials are all over the blogosphere, but someone asked me how we did it so here’s a quick explanation. Tools needed: tissue paper (this package cost $1 at Walmart), wire and a pair of scissors.
Cut the tissue paper to the desired size – I used six sheets cut in half for this flower since the package came with twelve sheets.
Accordion-fold the tissue paper, wrap at the center with wire. Trimming the ends in a point or a scallop will help the flower look even prettier.
Separate each sheet individually and fluff the flower. Voila- that’s it! It’s a quick, satisfying project for kids. My 9-year-old did two big flowers in as little as 10 minutes this afternoon.
And lest you think my boys were ignored, we had Legos, Play-doh, and rock-painting projects going on too – with varying degrees of success depending on which TV show I had to negotiate them away from. I am also counting opportunities to make ‘armor’ out of packing supplies as successes.
Addendum: It’s funny. My original intent was to write a post lamenting the stuff that didn’t get done – but in looking at the things we did accomplish, it feels like a successful summer. A good lesson for me. (And perhaps I’m not the only one.) I’m pretty good at looking for and totaling my deficiencies. Thanks for the encouragement and reminder that finishing a few small projects is a really great thing. I feel better now.