Halloween Quilt #2

And here is Halloween Quilt #2 – the one I am keeping for myself. I’m kind of in love with it. This came about for a few reasons.
1- I’ve had a little pile of Halloween fabrics I’ve been collecting for the past few years – mainly on after-Halloween clearance sales, waiting for the perfect project.
2- I’ve always wanted to try something scrappy inspired by Denyse Schmidt’s Hop, Skip and Jump design.
3- Last year I saw Allison’s quilt – the perfect marriage of the two ides. So I shamelessly copied payed homage to her creativity with my own rendition.
Here’s a little close-up of some of the fabrics. In addition to my Halloween pile, I pulled out every orange or black fabric I had to throw in.  I’m extra pleased with this endeavor because I did the quilting myself!! I really wanted just straight lines to echo the strips design. Kind of scary when you feel so proud of yourself for sewing straight lines (which, in reality, aren’t really that straight- but they go with the wonky feel, right?)
The pumpkins on the back are a Minick & Simpson print I got a few years ago – again on clearance. (I’m such a clearance fabric junkie!)

The one thing I didn’t have was just the right binding – and my friend and co-worker Sharon (hi Sharon!) found just the right black with gold print for a binding. Perfect – except I was 2″ short. So I threw-in a little orange patch for personality.

Here’s the picture where we tried to shoot the quilt on location. (I’m afraid you’re all going to get bored to death with my backyard fence.)  A great little ‘fallish’ looking spot, but we were on the way home from piano lessons,working against rapidly darkening skies and an impending snow-storm (I know) and my only option for official quilt holder was my 11-year-old.  Stalwart and brave (and ever patient with her mother’s weirdness) as she was, her arms just weren’t quite long enough to get a full body shot of the quilt. But it’s still kind of a cool picture, so it get’s recognition as well.

Hope your Halloween was spooky and fun. We had a cowboy, a camo/army guy, a cute girl from the 50’s complete with poodle skirt and pixie glasses – which she really doubted looked as awesome as they did – and Hermione Granger from Gryffindor. All was covered up in raincoats as our neighborhood tricked-or-treated last night in very soggy weather. Happy that all came together well and also happy to be done. (Am I a party pooper?) Halloween is fun but those costumes start stressing me out!

PS I delivered Halloween Quilt #1 this past week. Can I just say it brought me that weepy kind of happiness to see a 4-year-old rolling on the floor wrapped-up inside it?

Linking up to:

Fresh Poppy Design

I love love love your halloween quilt! And I am a fellow clearance buyer, too! It&#39;s so much fun to try to come up with something using those clearance finds….<br /><br />Your quilt makes me smile!!

Amy, you did a fantastic job on this quilt!! I LOVE IT!!! Makes me smile too and makes me want to make one- I don&#39;t have near enough fabric though – maybe next year!! Thanks for sharing!:)

Hi. I linked over from Donna&#39;s blog. Your halloween quilt is fabulous! Looks like a good comfort quilt on spooky nights.<br /><br />It also looks like Utah mountains over your back fence. :) I know these mountains! – Cat from Ogden area.

What a great quilt! I&#39;ve wanted to make a strippy for Halloween out of my leftovers, but it wouldn&#39;t be as fab as this one!

I haven&#39;t been such a fan of Halloween in the past, but i LOVE the Halloween fabric and this quilt is just too cute, especially with the addition of the non-Halloween fabric (like Castle Peeps–genius). So I have a small stash going.

I love this quilt too! I just ordered some of this year&#39;s Riley Blake Halloween fabric becau it&#39;s just so cute. I have been searching for the perfect layout….<br />And i never tire of your beautiful mountain view back yard! It reminds me of the mountain views in Seattle, where we are moving to. :)

nicely done!!! now that i&#39;ve seen yours and allison&#39;s, i really want to do a quilt like that. i have denyse schmidt&#39;s book and still have never done any of her quilt patterns. <br /><br />it looks like fun though!<br /><br />love it.

Your quilt is gorgeous! I&#39;ve really wanted to make my own version of Allison&#39;s quilt too. Just didn&#39;t get around to it this year… hopefully next!<br />And what fun costumes! I think Hermione Granger is the coolest (I can&#39;t wait for the new HP movie to come out!!!) :)

Its not called shamelessly copying…its called &quot;interpreting&quot;….it sounds so much better. :) I LOVE your quilt…lets trade. :) Happy Halloween! -Allison

Hi! I think this is the first time I&#39;ve left a comment on your blog, but the Halloween quilt brought me out of lurkdom. Mostly because it is gorgeous but also because I have a tiny-ish scrap of that Minick &amp; Simpson print you used for your backing left over from one of my Halloween quilts and it made me happy to see it pop up somewhere else—I think it&#39;s a perfect Halloween quilt!<br

Love this. Need to re-read. Did you just wing it?! I need to learn more quilting rules so that I can learn to throw the rules aside but still come out with something awesome! Maybe you used a pattern?! Love this quilt a really lot!!!!!<br /><br />Love those great pixie glasses! :-)

Both your Halloween quilts are awesome. Oh, and your views of the mountains are gorgeous, too, so don&#39;t ever apologize about them – just give us more!<br /><br />Cute glasses…

Fun quilt! I love Halloween prints! You will have to tell your daughter that my mom and I saw those glasses at school and we both commented on how darling and perfect they were with her costume!

Between you and Allison you have created a monster! I am now running all over town gathering Halloween fabric:)<br />I already hit Mormon Handicraft and plan to make stops at Material Girls and Pine Needles.<br />Where do you like to shop?<br /><br />Thank you for your great ideas, I can only aspire to be just like you:)<br />It will never happen:O

LOVE LOVE LOVE your Halloween quilt! The colors…the presentation…. everything! Great job! You deserve a pat on the back! Stopping by from Fabric Tuesday! Maybe you can stop by my blog when you have a chance. Have a great day!<br />carla louise<br />www.ohsewaddicted.com

That is an amazing quilt.<br /><br />I&#39;ve noticed recently, from thumbing through blogs, that bloggers are named Amy. Its a like a thing! We should start a club. Amy Bloggers? Bloggers named Amy? What do ya think hehe?