50 In denyse schmidt/ halloween/ holidays/ motherhood/ photography/ quilts/ steals

Halloween Quilt #2

And here is Halloween Quilt #2 – the one I am keeping for myself. I’m kind of in love with it. This came about for a few reasons.
1- I’ve had a little pile of Halloween fabrics I’ve been collecting for the past few years – mainly on after-Halloween clearance sales, waiting for the perfect project.
2- I’ve always wanted to try something scrappy inspired by Denyse Schmidt’s Hop, Skip and Jump design.
3- Last year I saw Allison’s quilt – the perfect marriage of the two ides. So I shamelessly copied payed homage to her creativity with my own rendition.
Here’s a little close-up of some of the fabrics. In addition to my Halloween pile, I pulled out every orange or black fabric I had to throw in.  I’m extra pleased with this endeavor because I did the quilting myself!! I really wanted just straight lines to echo the strips design. Kind of scary when you feel so proud of yourself for sewing straight lines (which, in reality, aren’t really that straight- but they go with the wonky feel, right?)
The pumpkins on the back are a Minick & Simpson print I got a few years ago – again on clearance. (I’m such a clearance fabric junkie!)

The one thing I didn’t have was just the right binding – and my friend and co-worker Sharon (hi Sharon!) found just the right black with gold print for a binding. Perfect – except I was 2″ short. So I threw-in a little orange patch for personality.

Here’s the picture where we tried to shoot the quilt on location. (I’m afraid you’re all going to get bored to death with my backyard fence.)  A great little ‘fallish’ looking spot, but we were on the way home from piano lessons,working against rapidly darkening skies and an impending snow-storm (I know) and my only option for official quilt holder was my 11-year-old.  Stalwart and brave (and ever patient with her mother’s weirdness) as she was, her arms just weren’t quite long enough to get a full body shot of the quilt. But it’s still kind of a cool picture, so it get’s recognition as well.

Hope your Halloween was spooky and fun. We had a cowboy, a camo/army guy, a cute girl from the 50’s complete with poodle skirt and pixie glasses – which she really doubted looked as awesome as they did – and Hermione Granger from Gryffindor. All was covered up in raincoats as our neighborhood tricked-or-treated last night in very soggy weather. Happy that all came together well and also happy to be done. (Am I a party pooper?) Halloween is fun but those costumes start stressing me out!

PS I delivered Halloween Quilt #1 this past week. Can I just say it brought me that weepy kind of happiness to see a 4-year-old rolling on the floor wrapped-up inside it?

Linking up to:

Fresh Poppy Design

Goddess in Progress
    October 31, 2010 at 5:58 am

LOVE this! I don't tend to go for seasonal/holiday quilts, but this is just plain awesome. Dang, now I may have to make something like this… 🙂

Linda
    October 31, 2010 at 6:45 am

I really love this quilt. I might have to make a Halloween quilt too. So fun!

Victoria Paige
    October 31, 2010 at 6:54 am

I&#39;m in love with your quilt, too. <br /><br />Love love love!

Sarah Craig
    October 31, 2010 at 6:54 am

I love love love your halloween quilt! And I am a fellow clearance buyer, too! It&#39;s so much fun to try to come up with something using those clearance finds….<br /><br />Your quilt makes me smile!!

Anna
    October 31, 2010 at 7:25 am

love this! I would totally want to make one just like it, too. and your on location shoot was beautiful.

Cindy
    October 31, 2010 at 8:19 am

Amy, you did a fantastic job on this quilt!! I LOVE IT!!! Makes me smile too and makes me want to make one- I don&#39;t have near enough fabric though – maybe next year!! Thanks for sharing!:)

Kris
    October 31, 2010 at 8:24 am

I really love your take on Alison&#39;s quilt. It&#39;s great and now I want one too!

Leslie
    October 31, 2010 at 8:26 am

the quilt looks great. i love the pattern…but i love your daughter&#39;s glasses best of all. they are so cute

Cat
    October 31, 2010 at 8:50 am

Hi. I linked over from Donna&#39;s blog. Your halloween quilt is fabulous! Looks like a good comfort quilt on spooky nights.<br /><br />It also looks like Utah mountains over your back fence. 🙂 I know these mountains! – Cat from Ogden area.

Anita
    October 31, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love it!

Jan
    October 31, 2010 at 9:01 am

What a great quilt! I&#39;ve wanted to make a strippy for Halloween out of my leftovers, but it wouldn&#39;t be as fab as this one!

Aunt Spicy
    October 31, 2010 at 9:26 am

Super love! I think I am going to create a halloweeen stash as well!

live a colorful life
    October 31, 2010 at 9:35 am

I haven&#39;t been such a fan of Halloween in the past, but i LOVE the Halloween fabric and this quilt is just too cute, especially with the addition of the non-Halloween fabric (like Castle Peeps–genius). So I have a small stash going.

SandyQuilts
    October 31, 2010 at 10:18 am

Adorable. I can&#39;t wait to &#39;repeat&#39; it. thanks

Kristie
    October 31, 2010 at 10:30 am

Very cute. I may have to &quot;pay homage&quot; as well! 🙂

QuiltyGirl
    October 31, 2010 at 10:35 am

I love this quilt too! I just ordered some of this year&#39;s Riley Blake Halloween fabric becau it&#39;s just so cute. I have been searching for the perfect layout….<br />And i never tire of your beautiful mountain view back yard! It reminds me of the mountain views in Seattle, where we are moving to. 🙂

a little bit biased
    October 31, 2010 at 11:38 am

Great job on the quilt. I love it! And doesn&#39;t it feel good to have done the WHOLE thing by yourself, including the quilting! You should be so proud 🙂

SewSara
    October 31, 2010 at 1:08 pm

nicely done!!! now that i&#39;ve seen yours and allison&#39;s, i really want to do a quilt like that. i have denyse schmidt&#39;s book and still have never done any of her quilt patterns. <br /><br />it looks like fun though!<br /><br />love it.

**MIGNONNE**
    October 31, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I love that quilt! I am so going to copy the idea one of these days. You did a wonderful job.

Sherri
    October 31, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Love your quilt…I can definitely see why you&#39;re keeping this one!

Angela
    October 31, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Your quilt is gorgeous! I&#39;ve really wanted to make my own version of Allison&#39;s quilt too. Just didn&#39;t get around to it this year… hopefully next!<br />And what fun costumes! I think Hermione Granger is the coolest (I can&#39;t wait for the new HP movie to come out!!!) 🙂

Allison
    October 31, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Its not called shamelessly copying…its called &quot;interpreting&quot;….it sounds so much better. 🙂 I LOVE your quilt…lets trade. 🙂 Happy Halloween! -Allison

Denise :)
    October 31, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Love the jack-o-lantern fabric — and the cool glasses!! 🙂

Elizabeth
    October 31, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I love Halloween too, but the costumes really wear me out too. Love your Halloween quilt. It is really adorable.<br /><br />xo -El

Vanessa
    October 31, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I LOVE this quilt. I had big plans of making one after seeing Allison&#39;s as well…I guess there is always next year. 🙂

Anonymous
    October 31, 2010 at 7:25 pm

fantastic!! YOU inspire me!!

Kate
    October 31, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I am a fabric clearance junkie too. Love the quilt.

Crystal Hendrix
    October 31, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Very Pretty 😀

Tara @ Tara Being Tara
    October 31, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I love this! I just ordered the Blessings kits from Piece n Quilt so that I can start pulling out a special quilt for each holiday!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    October 31, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Utterly fabulous Amy! I want one.

Amy Sorensen
    October 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Hi! I think this is the first time I&#39;ve left a comment on your blog, but the Halloween quilt brought me out of lurkdom. Mostly because it is gorgeous but also because I have a tiny-ish scrap of that Minick &amp; Simpson print you used for your backing left over from one of my Halloween quilts and it made me happy to see it pop up somewhere else—I think it&#39;s a perfect Halloween quilt!<br

Canadian Kristin
    October 31, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Love this. Need to re-read. Did you just wing it?! I need to learn more quilting rules so that I can learn to throw the rules aside but still come out with something awesome! Maybe you used a pattern?! Love this quilt a really lot!!!!!<br /><br />Love those great pixie glasses! 🙂

Quiltycat
    November 1, 2010 at 4:06 am

Wow! It&#39;s wonderful!…I would make something similar…love the colors!<br />nichi

Blogless me
    November 1, 2010 at 4:21 am

Both your Halloween quilts are awesome. Oh, and your views of the mountains are gorgeous, too, so don&#39;t ever apologize about them – just give us more!<br /><br />Cute glasses…

snippetsandyarns
    November 1, 2010 at 7:18 am

Both of your Halloween quilts are great! Nice work :-)<br /><br />~ Meagan

Mommyof4
    November 1, 2010 at 7:27 am

Fun quilt! I love Halloween prints! You will have to tell your daughter that my mom and I saw those glasses at school and we both commented on how darling and perfect they were with her costume!

Miss White Wall
    November 1, 2010 at 9:51 am

Beautiful Quilt! I really love it, and all the wonkyness!

americanfamily
    November 1, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Oh it turned out just loverly. Love you Amy!

lifeinredshoes
    November 2, 2010 at 12:11 am

Between you and Allison you have created a monster! I am now running all over town gathering Halloween fabric:)<br />I already hit Mormon Handicraft and plan to make stops at Material Girls and Pine Needles.<br />Where do you like to shop?<br /><br />Thank you for your great ideas, I can only aspire to be just like you:)<br />It will never happen:O

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    November 2, 2010 at 9:29 am

I&#39;m kind of in love with this quilt too. I love the modern take on halloween fabric. You hit the mark on this!

StrawberryBlond
    November 2, 2010 at 12:47 pm

My daughter was Hermione Granger, too! Were you able to find the costume or did you have to make it like me? I actually chronicled it on my blog:<br /><br />http://strawberryblondblog.blogspot.com/<br /><br />I&#39;ve started picking up fat quarters and quarter yards of Halloween fabric now after seeing your cute ideas.

Oh Sew Addicted
    November 2, 2010 at 4:09 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE your Halloween quilt! The colors…the presentation…. everything! Great job! You deserve a pat on the back! Stopping by from Fabric Tuesday! Maybe you can stop by my blog when you have a chance. Have a great day!<br />carla louise<br />www.ohsewaddicted.com

katya
    November 2, 2010 at 6:11 pm

That is FANTASTIC! I so want to make one now!

Quiltstory
    November 2, 2010 at 10:15 pm

ummm…gorgeous again! AMAZING. love it ! Thanks for linking!

TheBlackForrist
    November 5, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Fabulous! I love everything about it. I&#39;m keeping this in mind for next year =] thanks for sharing!!!

Robin
    November 5, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Awesome!!!! You make me want to start collecting orange and black Halloween prints! 🙂

Pamela
    November 6, 2010 at 9:49 am

What a fantastic Halloween Quilt. Love to see past and present Halloween Fabrics ~~ I too am a fabric sale junkie.

Dayna
    November 8, 2010 at 10:30 am

Gorgeous quilt! I love it!

Amy Fazio
    November 11, 2010 at 10:19 pm

That is an amazing quilt.<br /><br />I&#39;ve noticed recently, from thumbing through blogs, that bloggers are named Amy. Its a like a thing! We should start a club. Amy Bloggers? Bloggers named Amy? What do ya think hehe?

Haunted House
    August 11, 2012 at 3:35 am

Haunted house <br />http://bestforhalloween.com<br />Horror and Halloween Link Directory. Add your site for free. Horror authors, Halloween props, Halloween sound, Halloween costumes, Haunted houses, all horror related sites are welcome to join.<a href="http://bestforhalloween.com/&quot; title="Scary House" rel="nofollow">Scary House</a>