Playing with Half-Square Triangles

I’ve been cranking out half-square triangles lately.

I loved the Freebird collection that came out last Spring. I was very disciplined and bought only one charm pack and traded for some yardage for a back.  The colors in this collection go so well with my American Jane  horde stash. (With the exception of the purple.) So I’ve been cutting into that too.

And playing with the options. I haven’t even decided what I’m going to do with them all yet. I like each layout – I may just keep cranking out the hst’s and try them all! Plus – it feels good to use the stash. This is my goal these days – start depleting. Which is what motivated me to dig out all the Halloween fabric too. And I’m making progress. Pictures to come!

PS – Thanks for bearing with the “keepin’ it real” post below. And for the encouragement. I always feel like such a whiner after those unloads. But when I start having dreams that I forgot to buy my kids any Christmas presents (which I really had last week) I start to wonder about re-prioritizing. All right, that’s all for now.

Elizabeth D.
    October 11, 2010 at 6:27 am

I really dig the zigzag! I've never really done straight-up triangle blocks like this before, but wow, they look great. I think you just convinced me to try it out on my scraps too!

pioneervalleygirl
    October 11, 2010 at 6:28 am

I love all of the options, when I make hst's — have fun playing with them

joliesjunebugboutique
    October 11, 2010 at 6:34 am

I love the zigzag! Very cute!<br />Ps. Loved the keeping it real post!

Michele
    October 11, 2010 at 6:43 am

They looks wonderful! So crisp and vibrant!

Leigh
    October 11, 2010 at 6:56 am

Oh I LOOOOVE the zig zags!!!

John'aLee
    October 11, 2010 at 7:12 am

Oh I just love your post. I know it takes time to do all of those different arrangements…so thanks for taking the time to not only do it…but in sharing it with all of us! It makes me want to go and start some half square triangles.<br />Is there a favorite method you? Such as the triangle paper??

Gaertegang
    October 11, 2010 at 7:31 am

My boys and I vote for the last option you did with the half squares…love it!!

paulette
    October 11, 2010 at 7:38 am

I LOVE them ALL!! I can see I&#39;m going to HAVE to make one/all of these…THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INSPIRATION!! So bright, happy and cheerful!!<br />Paulette

Des
    October 11, 2010 at 8:12 am

love, love, love the zig zag and that you&#39;ve put them in colored rows. FUN!

SteffiD
    October 11, 2010 at 8:19 am

Okay, I&#39;m totally voting for the zig-zag!! I have a new-found obsession with them starting around two weeks ago ๐Ÿ™‚ Besides, your colors are GORGEOUS and scream ziggies. I will say the diamonds are pretty darn cute, too.

Anna
    October 11, 2010 at 8:36 am

love those different options, very cool. ๐Ÿ™‚ I&#39;ve been wanting to do a zig zag quilt FOREVER! You may have just spurred me on.

Sherri
    October 11, 2010 at 8:44 am

LOVE the combination of these fabrics…FreeBird and American Jane…wonderful!

live a colorful life
    October 11, 2010 at 8:53 am

The zigzag layout is my favorite. I might do that with AJ Punctuation. What do you think?

Quiet Quilter
    October 11, 2010 at 8:55 am

Love the variety of choices…can&#39;t decide…guess it is up to you.<br /><br />BEauTIful Fabric!

mascanlon
    October 11, 2010 at 9:14 am

I love HSTs too. And they are wonderful to do with charm packs!

snippetsandyarns
    October 11, 2010 at 9:16 am

I agree with everyone that the zig zag layout looks great. But I also love the diamonds just as much!<br /><br />~ Meagan

Jennifer
    October 11, 2010 at 9:50 am

American Jane, Freebird, and HST&#39;s… three of my favorites! Love your different layouts!<br /><br />Jennifer ๐Ÿ™‚

Heather
    October 11, 2010 at 9:51 am

eeeek!! ZIG to the ZAG!!! fabulous!!<br /><br />xo

DJ Rose
    October 11, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love each of those layouts. I can see your struggle. I would never have thought of the zig zag lines. That may be my favorite. <br /><br />On another note, a friend from Reno emailed a link to your messanger bag the other day, and I was all excited cause I &quot;knew&quot; you already. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeanne
    October 11, 2010 at 10:10 am

The zig zags are my favorite! Fun package of fabrics, too.

Layne Bushell
    October 11, 2010 at 10:23 am

I&#39;m jealous of the freebird charm pack. I didn&#39;t buy any of it and I&#39;m not happy with myself! I think this is one of my all time favorites! I refrained from getting it cause I&#39;m in the deplete the stash mode! <br /><br />I vote for the diamond look! It&#39;s so clean and I love the texture it makes! HST&#39;s are my arch nemesis. Even with thangles. Do you have any tips and

Jen
    October 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Bright and cheerful! Thanks for starting out my day with your post!

Trudi
    October 11, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Mmmm, that&#39;s a happy blog post if evr I saw one! Love those zig zags ๐Ÿ™‚

AMKreations
    October 11, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I&#39;m sitting here looking at so many great ideas! Wow…I really want to get busy…I have some fabric I need to get cutting…cause these triangles are inspiring! =)

Marg
    October 11, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I love the zigzag. HST&#39;s are great as there are so many options in the layout. I am just about to start on my own HST project.

Aunt Spicy
    October 11, 2010 at 5:36 pm

All of a sudden I feel kind of boring cause I love the straight up triangles! But of course what ever you do it will be lovely!

Angie
    October 11, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Oh my- the diamonds! I just love it. You are so inspiring! I mean that- so much! I check your blog (you are one of my favorite, favorite, favorites) and love how much inspiration I always walk away with! And I should tell you more often! Thank you ;).

Annette
    October 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm

The zig zag!Didn;t know it was that simple to make zig zag. Cool. And very VERY refreshing.

Margaret @ Konstant Kaos
    October 11, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I have a charm pack waiting to be cut, this seems like a good idea! I like the second ziggy zaggy design. The last one is more of what we have seen before, but the middle one is different. Can&#39;t wait to see if finished.

Anna
    October 12, 2010 at 12:27 am

I&#39;m loving the look of these – I really am! You have such great looking easy ideas for quilts that are so suited to me and my tastes!! Thankyou for putting in the time to share your ideas and inspiration with all us avid creators too!!<br />Anna<br />anna@ourinfo.biz

madebymum
    October 12, 2010 at 12:34 am

decisions decision!

Dresden Quilter
    October 12, 2010 at 10:27 am

I love your half square triangles. I am making a child&#39;s quilt right now with half square triangles using the mosaic pattern.

an encourager
    October 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm

What fun you are having.. and me, too, watching you play!

Stray Stitches
    October 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Such wonderful fabric to be working with. I think the zigzag is the best design yet!

americanfamily
    October 12, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Loving the half square triangles! Especially the second one with the diamonds on point! Can&#39;t wait to see what you settle on. Sharon

Q @ JAQS
    October 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm

First off – LOVE the colors.<br /><br />I like the zig zag one the most. Though those colors with any pattern looks gorgeous. <br /><br />Great post. Love the different varieties of matching up those half triangles ๐Ÿ™‚

Belgin Pancar AKร‡AY
    October 17, 2010 at 9:28 am

hepsi รงok gรผzel en kฤฑsa zamanda deniycem:)

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    October 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Love all the things you can do with half square triangles. They are a good leaders/enders thing to make.

Lisa
    March 22, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This is lovely … bright! I just finished a hst with my Freebird stash (and have another one in the works) … I used chocolate instead of white (which made it hard to use the browns) but loved the brightness with both the chocolate as well as the brown … ended up with a envelope pattern with the HSTs!

STLhistory
    June 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I&#39;m interested in making a similar zig-zag quilt for a crib and I was wondering what the size of your half-square triangles were. LOVE all of your variations. Keep posting!

STLhistory
    June 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

amy smart
    June 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm

HI STLhistory (hoping you&#39;ll see this here.) I started with 5&quot; squares to make the half square triangles. Hope that helps!

Mary
    February 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Amy, what is the finished size of of each square? It looks like 2&quot;. The quilt looks beautiful. Wonderful job.<br /><br />Mary2alight@aol.com

The Best Half Square Triangle Tutorials for Beginners - It's Just Sewing
    August 15, 2016 at 7:11 pm

[…] #2 โ€“ Playing with Half Square Triangles @ Diary of a Quilter {Amy Smart} […]