Blogger’s Quilt Festival – A festive flag quilt

I’m so excited that Amy’s Blogger’s Quilt Festival is here again! I love this event and the crazy amounts of inspiration to be found. This fall I wanted to share my favorite quilt I made this year.  Some of you have seen this before.  It was my summer project: the red, white, and blue flag quilt.

Here’s where it started. As a young adult I lived in the UK a couple of times: once as a student and a year later as a volunteer with my church. When I came home, I left a big piece of my heart behind.  I went back for the first time two years ago with my husband, and yup- there was that piece of me still there.  Last winter I started working on Union Jacks for a quilt.  (Because, in addition to my UK obsession, I just think the Union Jack is cool.)

Well, this summer one of my favorite flat-mates during my time in England was coming to visit me here in the States. She is from Oslo, Norway and I think we are long lost cousins because she is a kindred spirit. (I have a Norwegian great-great Grandfather so it’s genetically possible!) We will go for years without seeing each other and then when we do, we just pick-up where we left off like no time has passed. I love those kind of friends.

So, I decided it was time to make her a quilt. And I used the flags from our two countries – to which we both have ties – and the flag for the country where we met each other.  It’s extra great that their colors all coordinate so nicely.
The back.  The red gingham fabric in the cross is from Scandinavia.  The little blue and white floral reminded me of Julie’s mom’s kitchen in Norway.

The best part: all of the fabric was from the stash. Except one.  I needed something perfect for the binding and I found just the right thing.  I love this quilt so much – I really need to make a matching quilt for myself.  In the mean time, maybe I need to go to Oslo to check on the quilt in it’s new home. Oh to dream . . .

To see oodles of lovely quilt inspiration, check out the Blogger’s Quilt Festival

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

Past Quilt Blogger Festival entries:

Arcadia Quilt
Vintage inspired red, aqua & pink
Peas and Carrots

Comments

I love this quilt Amy you are so talented this and your Peas and Carrots quilt are so lovely!! <br />I love your blog and your Flickr photostream. Thanks for sharing !

such a fun quilt. I think flag quilts have universal appeal no matter what the flag because they are such striking designs. I myself created an all american flag quilt for a little boy who was being adopted by an american family from Guatemala. A little welcome!

I&#39;m a big fan of this quilt and already have it faved on Flickr – I&#39;m a big fan of flags and especially UJs in quilts and I love the story behind this one!

what a faboulous quilt to give to your friend! you did a great job.<br /><br />thanks for visiting me and your comment!<br /><br />Kristina<br />www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

Your Union Jack quilt is one of my favorites Amy! I can&#39;t believe I don&#39;t even own a red, white and blue quilt, but I will remedy that next year for sure and your quilt will be part of the inspiration. Thanks for sharing and telling it&#39;s story. Hope a trip to Oslo is in your future.

This is one of the most unique quilts I have ever seen and I mean that as a compliment of the highest order. <br /><br />What a fabulous idea and what a striking quilt. Well done and gorgeously finished. <br /><br />Thanks for choosing this one so we can all share it!

Amy, Hello again.<br />What a crisp, clean, vibrant quilt and what a lucky friend. I played with union jacks a bit with a burgoyne surrounded quilt. Need to get back to it.<br />The store looks great, I was there last Saturday.<br />Come see both my entries but esp. my antique 1890 schoolhouse quilt.

I love this quilt! I have been wanting to make a flag quilt for a while with flags from me and my husband&#39;s heritage (Australia, Northern Ireland, Finland and Holland). Thanks for some wonderful inspiration!!

Fabulous quilt and what a great idea. Union jacks seem to be everywhere. I have tea cosy planned for a dear friend who is English – of course now I&#39;m tempted to go the whole way and finally make her a quilt! Thanks for the great inspiration.

Love it! I made some pillows using a paper-pieced Union Jack pattern I designed but I never thought to make a quilt with the flags. This is awesome!

This flag quilt is great! Fantastic entry for the quilt festival.<br />What a wonderful gift!<br />I also love your Halloween quilt in the next post. Great colours!

My daughter and I both love your flags quilt. We are anglophiles, too, and my daughter is actually thinking of making one herself after having seen yours (she´s twelve). Thanks for sharing.

I love this quilt. I love seeing it again. I adore it. I just really want to make one. This is something I really MUST do. I want to put the slovak flag with mine for my dad and the denmark flag for my mom. I think they would be fantastic together. I MUST DO THIS! Thanks so much for inspiring me. Always.

What a special and beautiful quilt! I love the story behind the making of it. It seems like it was meant to be made – since you had what you needed in your stash. Love that.

What an interesting design and great story- The binding is perfect for your friend&#39;s quilt.<br />Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the festival – there are so many wonderful pieces to see.<br />Regards,<br />Anna

Wow! Nifty quilt! I love how you interpreted the flags and put them all together. The story behind it is great too. Thanks so much for sharing!

This is an awesome quilt, I have admired it from afar on flickr. I just love the way you have combined the flags and it has such a great story attached to it. Beautiful!

What a great idea – I especially love it as I was born in Norway, live in the UK, and have both my dad (Norwegian) and my step dad (British) living in America! If Julie doesn&#39;t love it, I can give it a good home LOL!!!<br /><br />Benta@SLIKstitches.co.uk

19. Anonymous says

Dear Amy, I love your quilt, Sunniva is here and loves it too. I feel so lucky and blessed to be one of your special friends. You are always welcome over here =)<br />Love Julie

such a nice quilt and such a fun story. love your quilt. the pictures are fantastic–love those utah mountains. have a great day and thanks for sharing