Two new loves: a quilt and a boy

This quilt (previously chronicled here – as well as my fashion faux-pas) is now finished. And I am in love. If it weren’t for an adorable new nephew with whom I am trying to curry good favor and a cherished title of “favorite aunt” (the competition is stiff!), I just may not have given it up.

(Cue gratuitous ‘cute baby photo.’)
Look at this boy. Can you blame me??

I think that one of the things that I love about this quilt is that none of the prints came from the same fabric collection.  My sister chose the Alexander Henry jungle print – which we used on the back – and from there she just looked for colors.  (A good example of using a focus fabric and then pulling coordinating fabrics.) The white sashing definitely ties everything together.

I like how it isn’t your traditional baby boy look, but it’s definitely boy. Do you know what I mean? The quilt is going to go with this bumper pad. I also like that the quilt and bumper coordinate but aren’t super matchy-matchy. (That’s what you get when both parents are artistic. I mean, look how their kid turned out.) I may take the scraps and make one to keep for myself.

I’m linking up to AmyLouWho!

Jodi
    October 7, 2010 at 6:26 am

Oh, my, who could NOT fall in love with that little baby boy! How precious! And the quilt is wonderful!

Blue Is Bleu
    October 7, 2010 at 6:32 am

So cute! (The baby and the quilt hehe) I have trouble giving up quilts too… it's quite a sickness we have!

Hen
    October 7, 2010 at 6:39 am

Lovely quilt, lucky boy – and such a beautiful baby!<br />Hen x

angela
    October 7, 2010 at 6:55 am

Whoa – he is SO adorable! I love them when they&#39;re all snuggled in their soft one-piece outfits.<br /><br />And the quilt is awesome – I should &#39;shop my stash&#39; that same way for the next quilt I make.

Nedra
    October 7, 2010 at 7:02 am

I LOVE that quilt, and would love one too. I can see why that precious little face made it possible to give away.

a little bit biased
    October 7, 2010 at 7:06 am

He is beautiful; and so is that quilt! Great job!

randi---i have to say
    October 7, 2010 at 7:13 am

what a beautiful baby AND a great quilt!

Sarah Craig
    October 7, 2010 at 7:16 am

That is a gorgeous quilt – and I love the fact that you paired up the fabrics by yourself! That&#39;s becoming a lost art, I&#39;m afraid….. And that baby is just adorable! I don&#39;t blame you for going for title of Favorite Auntie!

Jan Hatchett
    October 7, 2010 at 7:24 am

I can&#39;t blame you one bit for wanting to earn the title of &quot;most favored aunt&quot; when your nephew is so gorgeous! He is going to love that quilt–and you so very much!

Leslie
    October 7, 2010 at 7:27 am

this is gorgeous..i love that alexander henry print….and your sweet little nephew is precious

AMKreations
    October 7, 2010 at 7:28 am

That quilt is amazing…my favorite colors too! Orange and Brown! I love it.<br /><br />What a beautiful little man! Congrats!

DeeRoo
    October 7, 2010 at 7:41 am

Oh Amy…Congrats…I don&#39;t blame you for wanting to be the &quot;Fav&quot; Auntie!:) I&#39;m sure that will be no problem for you. Your new nephew is beautiful!!<br /><br />Yes, I love that AH print. I used that on my baby boy&#39;s quilt too…my 21 year old baby boy!:p

Mary
    October 7, 2010 at 7:47 am

Such a sweet baby boy, and I&#39;m loving that you used so many different fabric lines. I need to venture out of the box and do that more often!

Brynwood Needleworks
    October 7, 2010 at 7:53 am

Love your quilt, Amy…and such a beautiful baby boy! Congratulations to all!<br />xoxo<br />Donna

Little Lady Patchwork
    October 7, 2010 at 8:17 am

Congrats Amy! Both of them are so SUPER adorable!<br /><br />XOXO,<br />Stefanie

Katie B.
    October 7, 2010 at 8:19 am

I love this, Amy! I&#39;m hoping this pattern will make its way into your shop!

GreenStyleMom
    October 7, 2010 at 8:27 am

Love it! <br />What color thread did you use to quilt?

neubiewaters
    October 7, 2010 at 8:30 am

Your nephew is quite a cutie! Congratulations to your family

Char @ Crap I've Made
    October 7, 2010 at 8:43 am

Love how his outfit also color coordinates with the quilt. πŸ˜‰

Mauri
    October 7, 2010 at 8:45 am

Beautiful!! Love the colors and all the fun fabrics. I would have loved this for Chase&#39;s room when he was little. His nursery stuff was all safari themed. What a talent you are! And that little baby boy is too darling. Just want to give him a little kiss on his sweet little bald head. πŸ™‚

Donna
    October 7, 2010 at 8:48 am

Both the quilt and the baby are adorable. The baby wins the Cute! constent! Happy quilting.

9patchnurse
    October 7, 2010 at 8:55 am

Oh my, he is just as sweet as pie!! He&#39;s gonna love that quilt and his favorite auntie!

StrawberryBlond
    October 7, 2010 at 8:57 am

He has to be one of the handsomest babies I&#39;ve ever seen! What a sweetheart. I do love the quilt. Your sister has a good eye (it seems to run in the family). All that sashing can be hard to line up but you have it done perfectly! Thanks for sharing.

Julie Swenson
    October 7, 2010 at 9:22 am

This is a beautiful quilt! I just stumbled across your blog and you have an amazing talent. Did you use a pattern for this one? I have been dying to make one where the squares are a little different but I have been avoiding drawing up a pattern for myself and figuring out all the measurments. Let me know how you did it! Thanks!

mel
    October 7, 2010 at 9:49 am

adorable quilt – love the colors and that it is boyish without being over the top – and your nephew is darling too!

Kristie
    October 7, 2010 at 10:13 am

So sweet- both the quilt and the boy! Those big eyes make me melt!

MomBrose
    October 7, 2010 at 10:44 am

the quilt looks fantastic! And he&#39;s just yummy! πŸ™‚

Sew Create It - Jane
    October 7, 2010 at 10:50 am

Oh he is adorable!!! Congrats to the parents!<br /><br />love the quilt…great colour scheme and a fresh change from the usual blues.

Stitched With Prayer
    October 7, 2010 at 11:15 am

Wonderful quilt … and you definitely got the &quot;Awwwww!&quot; from me when I saw the beautiful baby boy. So precious!

Trudi
    October 7, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oh I don&#39;t normally get all goooey over babies, but he&#39;s just adoooooorable! The quilt&#39;s not bad too! LOL Pretty darn cute the pair of them!

Jennifer
    October 7, 2010 at 12:28 pm

So cute! Both the baby and the quilt! What did you use for the &quot;filling&quot; of the bumper pads?<br /><br />Jennifer πŸ™‚

QuiltyGirl
    October 7, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love using fabrics from all different lines! It makes the process more fun and satisfying when you&#39;re done. πŸ™‚

Jen
    October 7, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I love it! It looks super soft too! What a sweet baby! I have one of those at my house, a sweet little angel-nephew. So much fun! I want to see the coordinating but not matching bumper pad!

Hollie
    October 7, 2010 at 1:26 pm

It turned out so well. I love it!

Sarah Jane
    October 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm

It turned out so cute! Can&#39;t wait to see it in person. I don&#39;t stand a chance at &#39;favorite Aunt!&#39;

Rhanda
    October 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I am shooting for &quot;favorite aunt&quot; too! That baby is beautiful and so is your quilt!

Candace
    October 7, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I love the quilt, and the baby is adorable.

Dena
    October 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Your quilt is beautiful… almost as cute as your nephew. LOL

Jackie
    October 7, 2010 at 5:23 pm

He is adorable and I&#39;m sure he&#39;ll have all his aunties wrapped around his pinkie quicker than we can blink!<br /><br />He also looks dressed to match your quilt so maybe you&#39;ve made some serious inroads in being the favorite? It&#39;s a beautiful quilt and I&#39;m sure it will be precious to him.

Ellen
    October 7, 2010 at 5:57 pm

He is precious and deserves an adorable quilt. I am quite sure you&#39;ll be favorite aunt! Its a good title to have, and one that I am quite proud to hold myself. I always tell people that being an aunt is my favorite job in the world.

gnee @ Singing With Birds
    October 8, 2010 at 1:24 am

Congratulations on your beautiful new nephew and your quilt made this week&#39;s Top 5 Hits. Come check it out and grab a button if you&#39;d like. Thanks for such a fun post!

searchfamilies
    October 8, 2010 at 3:34 am

I love this it beautiful<br />Hugs Janice

Paula and Mel
    October 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm

What a handsome guy and so lucky to get such a wonderful quilt. I am sure you will be his &quot;favorite auntie&quot;. <br />Enjoy!<br />Paula

rikkismom
    October 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Adorable and precious!! Beautiful skin coloring! I love the quilt colors and the quilting, too.

Nana Shanna
    October 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Amy, you do such beautiful work. Bret and Laura did too. πŸ™‚ He&#39;s adorable and has grown so much since we saw him last month. I wish they could have brought the quilt on their visit to us, but will look forward to seeing it another time. You&#39;re a gem.

Anna
    October 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm

such a cool quilt and what an adorable little guy! πŸ™‚

Lisa
    October 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Both quilt and baby are perfect! He is sooooo sweet!

Catherine
    October 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm

A beautiful non-traditional boys quilt and I love how the mix of fabrics look so good together. No can&#39;t blame you with that cutie!

amylouwho
    October 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm

This is GORGEOUS!! I want to do something like this with all the Heather Ross fabric I just got. A very blue and orange look. Did you follow a pattern or just make it up! You are so great! LOVE it!!<br /><br />PS – glad you linked up!

Abbey
    October 8, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I am loving this quilt!!! Great job! (and Uber Cute baby as well!!) πŸ™‚

Vicki
    October 8, 2010 at 11:18 pm

beautiful quilt! I am a huge fan of mixing fabric lines, I think most of the time that makes for a more interesting and beautiful quilt!

Lauren
    October 9, 2010 at 5:03 am

Adorable! The quilt and the baby! Great job!

lemonadegal
    October 9, 2010 at 8:24 am

Good gravy – that is a beautiful quilt! You did a fantastic job. And I could just eat that little sweet boy! Thanks for sharing. To me the hardest part of quilting is picking fabric. Your sister did a great job!!

Kristen
    October 9, 2010 at 10:26 am

AH has some great prints! This is an adorable quilt. <br /><br />He&#39;s the cutest!

Mary on Lake Pulaski
    October 9, 2010 at 10:42 am

The quilt is perfect Amy and he is just adorable.

Aunt Spicy
    October 9, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Amy, that quilt is just fabulous! I think the fabrics and colors go so well together!

Sarcastic Quilter
    October 10, 2010 at 7:34 am

That is just beautiful and bright. Well done.

Laura-Lu
    October 10, 2010 at 3:09 pm

HOORAY!!! Thank you so much sister for offering your time and talent to us, we absolutely love the quilt and will treasure it always πŸ™‚

Tara @ Tara Being Tara
    October 10, 2010 at 8:54 pm

This quilt is perfect! You&#39;re totally right about it being completely boyish without it being too cheesy.

madebymum
    October 11, 2010 at 1:36 am

Amy this is so cute. I get what you mean about not traditional baby boy quilt but really boyish.

ktquilts
    October 11, 2010 at 5:52 am

Love those boy colors!! They even match his jammies!<br /><br />Great quilt!!<br /><br />Blessings,<br /><br />KT

Restorative Living
    October 12, 2010 at 9:54 am

Beautiful as ALWAYS! Love the fabric choices. CUTE!!!

Lisa Ann
    October 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Beautiful, both the baby and the quilt! I love the quilting and fabric choices!

Elizabeth D.
    October 12, 2010 at 3:31 pm

What a sweet quilt! I love Alexander Henry&#39;s Zoo fabrics, they are so darn adorable!

Me? A Mom?
    October 12, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I love this quilt and it&#39;s so funny because I just finished a quilt with the same color scheme and the same AH zoo fabric as the backing (http://www.meamomblog.com/2010/10/welcome-to-world-baby-banner.html). <br /><br />I&#39;ve been feeling all <i> meh </i> about it and seeing this quilt makes me realize why…I hate that I didn&#39;t put any white space in the quilt. And while I still like

Quiltstory
    October 15, 2010 at 10:12 am

Gorgeous again! Love this quilt completely! THanks for linking!

Brandi
    October 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm

That is awesome! πŸ™‚ I also love that it&#39;s boy, but not traditional! And he is a cutie!

Sheila
    September 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm

do you have a name for the quilt ? Like I would love to make this pattern can you help me?

amy smart
    September 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Sheila,<br /><br />Hoping you will see this comment as I don&#39;t have a return email address for you.<br /><br />I don&#39;t have a name for this pattern – I made it up as I went along. πŸ™‚ It&#39;s been a while, but I&#39;m pretty sure I just made 7&quot; (finished) blocks and sashed it with 1&quot; (finished) strips. I hope that helps a little!<br /><br />Amy

aislinnleondale
    February 14, 2014 at 1:12 am

i must thank you for the efforts you&#39;ve put in penning this blog. excellent blog post . <br /><br />www.n8fan.net

aislinnleondale
    February 14, 2014 at 1:14 am

Top 5 Hits -Cheery Kitchen
    June 8, 2015 at 11:46 pm

[…] and this all-boy, mis-matched quilt, was created by Amy for her precious, little, new nephew. Her Two New Loves: a Quilt and a Boy can be seen up-close and personal @ Diary of a Quilter. I think it is so unique and funky and go […]