Easy Stocking Tutorial

Today I’m sharing a super EASY method for making lined stockings.

This little stocking is a festive way to hold gift cards, some treats, or any other small gift you want to dress-up a little.  The great thing about this method though, is that you can blow-up the stocking pattern and make stockings as big as you want by following the same, easy process. (And who doesn’t sometimes want new, hip stockings to impress Santa?)

So start by printing the stocking pattern (click here for template) -or designing one of your own.  Fabric requirements need to be enough fabric to cut two stocking shapes from two different fabrics. For this size stocking you will need an 11″ x 14″ piece of fabric for front and back outside pieces and another 11″ x 14″ piece for front and back lining pieces.  (1 Fat Quarter would be enough for all four pieces, but they would all be the same.)

With wrong sides together, cut TWO stocking shapes of both your outside fabric and your cuff/liner fabric.  IMPORTANT: make sure your toe faces both directions for each fabric. (This is why matching wrong sides together will help you get pieces facing both directions.)

Now pair up one outside fabric with one lining/cuff fabric with the toes pointing the same direction like this. (See picture above.) Match the outside fabric and lining fabric from each set right sides together and sew a 1/4″ seam along the top of the two pieces. Open pieces up and press seam open. Repeat for back side.

Now match front and back pieced units right sides together with outside fabrics matched up and lining fabrics matched up. Center seams should match up too. Pin to hold two sides together. Leaving a space in the lining fabric for turning right side out, sew all the way around the outside edge of the stocking pieces (-where gray line is drawn.) Click on picture to see closer view.

I sewed a 1/4″ seam allowance around the outside [polka-dot fabric] and 3/8″ seam allowance around the green lining fabric, except the space left open for turning. This will help remove some of the bulk of the lining fabric. But if that’s too confusing, just sew 1/4″ for all.

Before you turn everything right-side out, cut notches in the curves – especially the toe. This will help the toe look nicer when finished.  Be careful not to clip through the seam.

On the liner side, clip the fabric close to the seam.

This will also help remove some bulk on the lining.

Now pull everything right-side out.  Carefully shape the outside part until the curves look good and press. Tuck the open ends into the stocking and topstitch the opening closed.

Now carefully tuck the lining inside the stocking.

Optional: Top stitch around the top edge for a more finished look.

Fold cuff down and carefully shape stocking.

Optional: add decorative trim if you want.

I just used Elmer’s Craft glue to put on some ric rac.

And you’re done! I suggest making a practice stocking just to see how it comes together and I guarantee each stocking you make after that will get faster and easier. You could easily make a bunch in one afternoon.

Annette
    December 9, 2010 at 9:42 am

Great tutorial. I will absolutely try out this one. I will have visitors from home coming this Christmas, for the first time since I moved abroad ten years ago. To make a pretty stocking for everyone to bring home feels like a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I am so happy I found your blog. You have helped me a lot getting into this wuilting and sewing world.

Annette
    December 9, 2010 at 9:45 am

oh, and I did make a table runner just like yours, teh stripy one, for Christmas that I just blogged about. But I did the top layer seperate, didn't quilt it together at once. I was to scared to try it… Silly me. Next time I will.

Quiet Quilter
    December 9, 2010 at 10:58 am

Such an easy tutorial! I've made stockings before with linings and had to go almost word by word when sewing and making the lining. This is so much clearer! Thanks!

ktquilts
    December 9, 2010 at 11:46 am

Thanks so much, I am going to try to squeeze in a few of these for Bath & Body gifts!!! Thanks so much!!

Kara
    December 9, 2010 at 12:06 pm

This is a great method for making stockings! And I love the fun fabric you used. Thanks for linking up, I have a feeling you're going to be featured. 😉

Trudi
    December 9, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This is a great tute! Thanks, I'm going to have to make a bunch of these for last minute gifties 🙂

snippetsandyarns
    December 9, 2010 at 1:13 pm

cute! cute! cute! &amp; simple! I may have to use these to &quot;wrap&quot; my gifts in this year, rather than paper.<br /><br />Thanks for such a simple tutorial, you make it look so easy! :-)<br /><br />~ Meagan

natasha | sohobutterfly
    December 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Thank you!! I&#39;m making some tonight!!

Andy
    December 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Just today I was thinking that I should make some new stockings for my family this year. You&#39;re right – this is an easy tutorial! Thanks for doing all of the brain work for me 🙂

Anna
    December 9, 2010 at 3:21 pm

woo hoo – right on time!!! I just started cutting out some mini-stockings for an ornament swap and was trying to figure out a quick easy way to put in the linings – thank you so much!!

Dena
    December 9, 2010 at 4:02 pm

These stockings are so cute! Thank you for the tutorial.

seaschell
    December 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I have been looking at stocking tutorials for several days, and this is the only one that makes sense to me. Thank you so much!

Diane H
    December 9, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for this great tutorial! Last year I attempted a stocking and it took forever!!!

sunny
    December 9, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Fantastic! I just made a lined stocking, but this looks so quick and easy. Can&#39;t wait to try it.

VickiT
    December 10, 2010 at 7:55 am

What a great tutorial. Thank you SO much. I have a bunch of stockings I&#39;m supposed to make and have been afraid to start because of the problems I&#39;ve seen so many others have. I wanted to make really nice looking ones too with a lining so this is wonderful. <br />Have a wonderful holiday.

Mystica
    December 10, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Thank you for the very clear instructions re the tutorial!<br /><br />I am having my first giveaway on my blog. A gift card sponsored by CSN Stores. please do enter

SHEILA
    December 11, 2010 at 12:13 am

This is such an easy tutorial for lined Christmas stockings. And no seams showing! I understand it completely and san&#39;t wait to make one. Thank you for sharing.

Cara
    December 11, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Great tutorial! I love your blog – so many great projects.

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    December 13, 2010 at 8:25 am

cuter than cute. What a good simple tutorial.

Jenna (jennalynnsews@yahoo.com)
    December 13, 2010 at 9:13 am

Thank you for the tutorial! I tried it out this weekend for a secret santa gift and it turned out SUPER cute! Thanks again! I will be using this one a lot!<br /><br />Jenna

emedoodle
    December 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I love this! When it was posted on Ucreate it was stuck in my head all day until I could get to the machine to make one! I&#39;m not sure if mine turned out as well as yours… mostly because my printer is shot so I just winged it and drew it out about the size yours looked! It still turned out pretty darn cute for just a few minutes worth of sewing! 🙂

Quiltstory
    December 14, 2010 at 9:33 pm

These are sooo cute, I love the idea of them as neighbor gifts! Thanks for sharing!!

Judy
    December 16, 2010 at 6:19 pm

What a great tutorial. I can&#39;t wait to try this. I linked over from finding fabulous. I am your latest follower. Can&#39;t wait to see what else you have. I&#39;d love for you to come check out my blog and follow me back. http://www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Mary
    December 28, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for this easy and fun tutorial! I made 5 stockings for my family in one night using this. It&#39;s so fast and they turned out very cute!

Jody of Because I'm Me
    October 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Easy and pretty. I love it and plan to put a few together ASAP! Thanks.

KaHolly
    October 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm

THANKS!

Kris
    October 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I am so happy to have found this! I just used it to make one, thank you so much!!

Ms Kate
    November 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

What a neat idea, great tutorial, thanks!

Stephanie
    November 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Love this tutorial! Just made a practice stocking and it turned out perfect!! Plan on making a bunch more! Thank you!

Quiltomatic
    November 20, 2011 at 9:17 am

What an ADORABLE tutorial! I just whipped one up, and have a few more cut, your stocking pattern is perfect :o)<br /><br />I have a question though, I want to make mine &#39;hangable&#39; – but due a severe mind-block when it comes to spatial awareness and turning things right ways out etc. I couldn&#39;t for the life of me think when or where to stitch in a little loop into the lining or outer

Christian, Megan & Connor
    December 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Just made 10 stockings for the family this year, everyone is getting a handmade ornament and a gift card! Love the tutorial. I added a loop in the lining and it turned out so cute! Thanks!

Jamie
    December 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

WONDERFUL! very easy to understand and makes the idea of making my own stockings less daunting 🙂 Will be doing this for sure!

Tina
    December 3, 2011 at 11:46 pm

This is a great tutorial, thanks! Emma, I too was trying to figure out where to sew the loop. I think I am going to sew them as is and then when they are finished I will sew a loop on with a button.<br /><br />Tina

amy smart
    December 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Great questions about the loop. The only way I&#39;ve figured out to attatch a loop because of the fold down cuff, is so sew it right at the top of the lining after the stocking itself is completed. You should be able to hid the stitches on the outside underneath the fold down cuff.

Nell
      December 21, 2012 at 5:58 am

I&#39;ve attached the loop with a bit of twill tape and a button –love the tutorial also, thank you!

Annette Palmer
    September 25, 2012 at 9:30 am

Someone shared this with me today online. Thank you, I love it!<br />

Lindsey
    November 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thank-you SO much for this tutorial. I&#39;ve wanted to make stockings for my family but it seemed so arduous and confusing. Today I made 6 stockings in no time! You are the best!

Sandie
    December 24, 2013 at 9:01 pm

wow! This tutorial was FANTASTIC and totally saved my bacon… tonight! On Christmas Eve! When we realized that our box of stocking things never got to the new house… And my poor kids were sad to think there would be no stockings to hang. We raided my fabric stash and had fun whipping these things out. Took about an hour to make 4 of them. THANK YOU so much! ♥

CraftyLady33
    October 25, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I just came across this blog for this the other day. I am so happy to finally find an easier way of doing stockings. I do a lot of craft fairs my mine one is around this time of the year especially in November. I find these so beautiful. I am just wondering if I could add some ribbon for it to hang or make one of out of fabric.

Crafting Kim
    October 30, 2014 at 1:16 am

Hi Amy, I&#39;ve been making stockings similar to this to sell at a craft fair and lining them with calico. I stitch a piece of cuff fabric in between the outer piece and the lining piece. This also means I can add a hanging loop, by stitching the ends in between the cuff piece and the lining – I have the two halves of the stocking side by side to do this step, then flip them right sides together

Rebecca Grace
    November 8, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Just had to tell you that I did a Pinterest search for Christmas stocking ideas today and smiled when your tutorial popped up — I know that girl! 🙂 Isn&#39;t it cool how these blog posts live out there on the Internet for years, continuing to inspire people? Thanks for yet another great tutorial.

Beads Braids And Bows
    November 9, 2014 at 6:15 am

Such a great tutorial, thank you for sharing. I have linked back to here over on http://www.facebook.com/BeadsBraidsAndBows. Lor.xx

Sis
    November 19, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I love this tutorial! I have been making stockings,6 so far, and I was having a problem with the lining. This has really made it simple Thanks!!!

Brie'n Miller
    December 14, 2014 at 6:01 pm

This tutorial seriously saved my bacon! I was staring at my sewing machine trying to figure out how to line, and add a back to a cross stitched stocking front that a friend brought me, and I was at a total loss! Thanks so much!

Debra
    May 17, 2015 at 2:05 am

This is great ! There’s only one problem I have. I need to put piping at the top. Can you help me with that?

Amy Smart
      May 18, 2015 at 10:42 am

The only way to do it with this construction method would be to insert the piping when you sew the seam between the two front and back pieces. But it will start and stop with the two side seams. If you want continual piping around the top, you’ll need a different construction method.

25 Things to Sew for Christmas - Crazy Little Projects
    August 20, 2015 at 2:08 pm

[…] Simple Stocking: […]

10 Homemade Stockings to Make this Christmas - Hobbycraft Blog
    September 28, 2015 at 8:27 am

[…] Simple Stocking Tutorial by Diary of a Quilter […]

DIY : La botte de Noël facile à réaliser
    September 28, 2015 at 2:26 pm

[…] J’ai trouvé ce DIY sur ce site : http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2010/12/easy-stocking-tutorial-today.html […]

Easy Sew Personalized Christmas Stockings- One Item Challenge - FYNES DESIGNS | FYNES DESIGNS
    October 15, 2015 at 7:10 am

[…]  around the parameter. Alternatively if you do not have a serger you can follow this method from Diary of a Quilter, her method […]

December Stocking Swap | Jacksonville Modern Quilt Guild
    November 4, 2015 at 1:48 pm

[…] From Diary of a Quilter […]

Brenda Ackerman
      November 14, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I just discovered your fabulous tutorial on Pinterest! I have a Christmas Stocking that I am quilting first and was not quite sure how to get it together properly. With your excellent tutorial it will be easy peasy! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

Angela
    November 30, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Your tutorial was perfect. Just finished my first one and I can see making many, many more before Christmas with personalized fabric. Thanks for clear and easy to follow instructions.

DZ Dogs
    December 2, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Thank you!! This is perfect! Making stockings for the pups this year!

Gloria Westerman
    December 2, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I found you on pinterest and wanted to let you know even after 5 years of you doing this …it’s still helping people like me….thank you so much…it work prefect….

Three Easy Projects to Make for the Holidays | Living In Geneva
    December 13, 2015 at 12:05 am

[…] This Christmas Stocking pattern is one of the easiest I’ve seen. It can be done in just a few hours: http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2010/12/easy-stocking-tutorial-today.html […]

27 DIY Homemade Christmas Stockings
    March 3, 2016 at 11:43 pm

[…] Nebraskaviews.blogspot.com Weaved Burlap Christmas Stockings Tutorial – CherishedBliss.com Easy Stocking Tutorial – […]

10+ Patterns: Quilting for Christmas - Sew What, Alicia?
    August 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm

[…] Easy Stocking Tutorial by Diary of a Quilter […]

Lizette
    August 16, 2016 at 10:28 pm

I wanted to let you know that this DIY stocking is featured on my blog to inspire our Bee Creative Stocking Swap participants.

Final Day: 24 Days of Green Christmas Crafts - Wine Gift Bag
    September 29, 2016 at 5:59 pm

[…] 10 –  Diary of a Quilter and Nebraska […]

Meadow
    October 6, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Thank you for this tutorial! I’m finally getting around to making the stockings I pulled fabric for last year. Your method is perfect and the final product looks great! I’ve made 2 already. 🙂

Amy Smart
      October 16, 2016 at 9:44 pm

That’s awesome! I’m so glad to hear it was helpful.

10 DIY Christmas Stockings | Homemade Christmas Project DIY Ready
    November 1, 2016 at 10:02 am

[…] image via diaryofaquilter […]

Lisa
    November 23, 2016 at 12:52 pm

I just finished the cutest “Minions” stocking for a friend! Thanks for the easy to follow instructions! 🙂 I can see myself being very busy making more of these! 🙂

Amy Smart
      November 23, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad to hear!

Christmas Quilts from True Blue Quilts
    November 28, 2016 at 7:38 am

[…]  That needs to be on my July agenda if I have any hope of finishing before Christmas 2017!  Amy at Diary of a Quilter has a cute tutorial that I have […]

Linky Thursday | StacySews
    December 8, 2016 at 8:57 am

[…] you need new stockings, this pattern promises to sew up […]