Button Thumbtacks

It’s been a busy birthday weekend around here. We had a party with friends Friday night. This was the first party where I felt more in the way and less like “Cruise Director Julie from the Love Boat” the whole time. Five 12-year-old girls can certainly keep themselves entertained. Yay for big kids! Tonight we’re having family over. Then I will officially feel like my holiday season is wrapped up and I look forward to a month of mundane life with no yard work and more time to sew and organize.

In light of little else that is new, I thought I would share a quick little project my 9-year-old and I did for big-sister’s birthday present. The 9-yr-old loves buttons and loves to collect buttons. (I think this may prove that accumulating craft-supply collections is genetic.) Anyway, we – I mean she -rarely ever does much besides taking the buttons out and looking at them every once in a while. (Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone??)  So I was really excited when she decided it would be fun to use some of her buttons to make a present for her sister.

We take no credit for originality here – this was an idea in a Button craft book she has – but we thought we’d share the results. We used the buttons to make decorative tacks for their bulletin boards. We used some good old E6000 glue to attach the buttons to flat-headed tacks. They turned out pretty cute! She made a set for her sister (top) and then decided to make some to go with her room.

And in other bursts of creativity, my 6-year-old was inspired to do some crafting as well.  Feeling impatient waiting for me, he took it upon himself to find something he could do on his own. He found his sister’s generic water bottle and added some flair: sparkly smiley face stickers and the words Cath Rocks, Go Cath.  I’ll try to see if I can get him to put together a tutorial.

Comments

I love when kid's craft. Some of my favorite are the Christmas decorations that my kids crafted, and I still put them out every Christmas and my "kids" are now in their late 20's and early 30's!!

Yes, please get Mr. S to put together a tutorial for that water bottle. Seriously, it would make my day.<br /><br />Your kids are some of the best (and funniest)I&#39;ve ever met. (I&#39;m pretty sure they get it from you)

Hahaha….I remember you digging through the button bin in Frederick!:) Nice idea!!<br /><br />Yes, it is so much fun when the kids get older and they can totally amuse themselves…..of course they still need watching!!;o

Your kids sound so sweet!<br />I love the thumbtacks. I think Pink Chalk just did a covered cork board on her blog….makes me want to make both of these projects now. :)

When I saw the pic before your explanation I assumed your small fry were giving a very enthusiastic shoutout to Cath Kidston…. I&#39;m a dork. Love the button project though!

I have had your table runner tut bookmarked for a long time. I plan to make a H&#39;ween table runner bc I love H&#39;ween. I am hoping you&#39;ve got some great Val&#39;s Day ideas coming soon. I enjoy your blog. It&#39;s helped me get back into the groove of quilting after having our 3rd baby.