Old School – More Vintage Fun

I had a couple of nice thrift store finds a few weeks ago. They seem to go well with the Vintage ABC quilt from last week.

I love to find vintage books – especially school books.
This is one of the finds from my most recent trip: a spelling book from 1963.
My favorite part is the illustrations. This one was more of a proper text book with actual work in it, so there are fewer illustrations. But what there is is good stuff.
 Over time, I am starting to gather a small collection of them.
This is from the 1951 classic “I Wonder Why.” Such stimulating content: “Picture of Weather. See this picture of weather.” But  I’m sure the charming illustrations captured the hearts and imaginations of many young students.

Look. This one explains where babies come from!
And that’s about as much detail as you get. πŸ™‚
This one is my favorite. It must have been for really young students because it is full mostly of illustrations with very little text. And the illustrations are fabulous.
The book has already been used as a cutter so I don’t feel any obligation to keep it pristine.  I’d like to cut it up some more but I don’t actually know what to do with the illustrations. Any great ideas? I’d love suggestions. (I’m so not creative in these areas.)  I want to live in that house with the red roof.

Oh no! Someone opened the chocolates, smashed the walnut shells on the table, left out the newspaper and their blue sweater!  Those pesky kids! What should she do?? (Are you glad no one expects you to wear a lovely dress, heels and pearls every day?  Or do you wish you could?)

Machines!

And last, but certainly not least, check out this baby that I found. I LOVE IT!  I got it for $14.  It’s not in mint condition (has anyone ever seen a school desk that was?) But it looks good. I gave it a good Lysol job when it got home. I’m now trying to decide whether to spray paint the metal or leave the ‘aged patina.’ I wonder what the Keno brothers would tell me to do. They’d probably say leave it.

My little guys love it too. Sweet!
(Which is good, because as much as I’d like to, I can’t actually fit in it myself.)

Danielle Bartran
    January 20, 2011 at 6:16 pm

LOVE IT ALL! That desk is great, I say leave the patina-no paint needed!

Jenna
    January 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Wonderful finds! For the illustrations – you could cut them out and decoupage them onto wooden square cut outs (available at craft supply stores for cheap). Add a little stick-on magnet on the back and you'd have adorable magnets! Just one of many ideas… those pictures are great!

iiSwanSongii
    January 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

To get multiple uses out of those illustrations, you could scan them to print them out. Here are a couple more ideas…<br />Print the scans and turn them into laminated coasters. Print them on cotton fabric and turn them into an i spy quilt or wall hanging. Love your blog!

CJ
    January 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm

LOVE the desk. I&#39;m sure I had one just like it wayyyyyyyyyy back when. I found a lift top school desk at a yard sale years ago and my kids used it for awhile. I was going to take it apart and paint it recently and they informed me we had taken it to Goodwill. Huh. I don&#39;t remember okaying that move.

The Ashtons
    January 20, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I LOVE your books. It makes me wish that school was still like that…colorful and simple and…wholesome feeling. I wish I could take modern conveniences and mix them with the 1950&#39;s June Cleaver era and that may be what heaven is like.

margie c
    January 20, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Wow! What awesome finds! I love them all! Those books are divine! and that desk is too cool! I would leave it as is for now πŸ˜‰ <br />Thanks for sharing!<br />hugs, margie

Alisa
    January 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Wonderful finds! I love vintage school books too.<br /><br />We grew up with a desk like that in the house. We sat at it all the time.

Jenniffier
    January 20, 2011 at 7:30 pm

great finds. i wish i had those desk in my classroom! then maybe we wouldnt feel so squished with 34 kids in the room.plus it looks so much tougher then the laminated desk with plastic caps that keep breaking off.

Michelle
    January 20, 2011 at 7:43 pm

You should definitely keep the patina — it looks great as is.<br /><br />Is that a little cubby underneath for books?

pinksuedeshoe
    January 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Oh my gosh that desk is amazing! Seriously, AMAZING! My mom has a similar one in her garage…. I think I might have to find it a new home :o)

notes of sincerity
    January 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Oh those books just tug at my heart. So many images that bring back such sweet memories. :o) And that desk. Too cute!! I see your little guy is enjoying himself in it. What wonderful memories will be made.<br />Sincerely, Trish

AMKreations
    January 20, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Great finds! I love the desk…and am glad your little ones like it too!

Amber
    January 20, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Oh my…all these good finds are killing me!!! Lucky you πŸ™‚

Petit Design Co.
    January 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

was the first picture from the spelling book? <br /><br />I recently found a school desk (looks to be older than the one you found) at a garage sale for $5 bucks. I thought about refinishing it but it&#39;s used patina has grown on me. I love it as is.<br /><br />I&#39;ll try and take a picture of it sometime this week. I&#39;ll let you know when it&#39;s up

Sarah Craig
    January 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I think, on that &quot;Which Things Could She Use?&quot; picture, that she should use the pitchfork, and chase the kids around until they clean up the mess they made!!!<br /><br />Great finds – such fun to look at!!

Carolyn
    January 20, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I really enjoy your blog. And I REALLY enjoy thrifting! What great things you found. I&#39;m totally into vintage books too (for the illustrations!) My friend made the cutest bunting using the pics from vintage books. Here is a link…<br /><br />http://sisterhipster.blogspot.com/2010/12/vintage-bunting.html

Jessica
    January 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Awesome school desk!

AnneMarie
    January 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Great finds! my MIL is so good at finding these things – wish I could pick up the knack…and find more time to browse…

DeAnna
    January 20, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love the vintage! So awesome! Leave the desk unpainted. It adds to the Vintage look. So cool!!

tabbiegirl
    January 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm

As I was reading your post and looking at all these pictures I had the strangest feeling of deja vu. I&#39;m sure I had some of these books in elementary school (am I really that old)!

Nedra
    January 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

You sure gave me a walk back in time. I learned to read using those books, and sat in a desk very much just like the one you purchased. Must make me &quot;vintage&quot; too!

Annette
    January 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm

How lovely all those old books. Makes me want to turn back time and live a less stressful, hectic, busy life. At least that is what my old clients (in their 80&#39;s or 90&#39;s) tell me about life in the 40&#39;s and 50&#39;s. I can&#39;t have enough of their stories as they have lived through so much. And I adore the little school desk. Would probably be crazy funky to paint, but still so

madebymum
    January 21, 2011 at 3:37 am

how lucky I just love vintage childrens books and the desk I am green with envy.

MamaLiza
    January 21, 2011 at 4:48 am

Ok…I would totally love a desk like that!!! Not sure my &quot;less is more&quot; husband would go for it thought. Just glad he hasn&#39;t said anything about my fabric stash! πŸ˜‰

Conny's Cottage
    January 21, 2011 at 5:56 am

Hello,<br /><br />that is very very lovly.<br />Wonderful books<br /><br /><br />greatings send you Conny

Truffle queen
    January 21, 2011 at 7:16 am

I have several Dick and Jane books – found at our church rummage sale!! AND I have a school desk with the &quot;flip up&quot; top! They were awful because you had to hang on to whatever was already on the desk top if you needed more paper or another book! Who designed THOSE desks? lol!

Biz
    January 21, 2011 at 7:42 am

Oooh I&#39;m conflicted myself. I love the idea of a BRIGHT Primary color spray painted on, but the current look is fabulous too! Argh how do you choose πŸ˜‰ <br />Biz

Liv
    January 21, 2011 at 8:20 am

Love the books, you could scan some of pictures into your computer and then get them printed onto fabric sheets that will go through a printer and use as quilt blocks…that way the house with the red roof could live at your house !

Live a Colorful Life
    January 21, 2011 at 9:47 am

You find THE best things when thrifting. Those books are wonderful. And I would definitely leave the desk as is. The patina is perfect.

Lisa
    January 21, 2011 at 10:32 am

love love love it!! i love those books too what a treasure you found!

Whit
    January 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

What thrift stores do you find this stuff at? Wonderful stuff, the desk is great the way that it is.

Katy
    January 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

ooooooh, really nice finds! I love old books and furniture. Maybe I&#39;ll do some estate saling this weekend. You&#39;ve inspired me!

Katy
    January 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Julie in WA
    January 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

What a GREAT post! I love the vintage books and pictures too. <br /><br />I would love to wear heels and pearls and dresses every day! I think I would feel better about myself; sweat bottoms and tshirts are not too elegant. I always feel sloppy and fat. But I would be so C.O.L.D in a dress and shivering all day is not worth the price. (Not that I have pearls. or heels. or even a dress at this

Jen
    January 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm

wow!! I love all your vintage finds! That desk is so perfect! I would love one or two of those for my girls! I&#39;ll have to keep my eye out!

em's scrapbag
    January 21, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Great finds. I love the old school books. I have a small collection of my own.

Deborah in Atlanta
    January 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I love the first book, and the pages look so new! And I have a desk almost like yours – bought it years ago, and it&#39;s in the attic completely forgotten. I probably need to bring it downstairs, huh?

Laurel
    January 21, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I think we must go to the same thrift store. Once you posted about a couple of vintage sheets you found. I had picked up those same sheets the day before and decided not to buy them. Humm. I am glad you got them. I would love to see what you do with them. Then a couple of days ago I got a Basic Reader called &quot;Our Town&quot;. Someone must have dropped off these readers. I love mine!

Tiziana
    January 22, 2011 at 4:48 am

Fantastic. I love them all, the way they are.

Amber
    January 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I bought a desk just like that for my little boy for $10 at a garage sale!!! I did spray paint the metal a navy blue and primed and painted the seat a cherry red. He hasn&#39;t used it as much as I would&#39;ve hoped, but it was amazing how different it looked with a new coat of paint.

Jennie
    January 23, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Oh, I&#39;ve been looking for desks like that myself! Lucky!<br />And I am one that wishes I could wear nice dresses, heels and pearls all day whilst I do my housework.

Margaret
      May 22, 2016 at 9:01 am

Where are you from? I have several old desks/chairs, some attached others not.

Amy Smart
        May 23, 2016 at 10:48 am

I’m in Utah. I’m not currently collecting any more – mainly because my kids are getting bigger – but I know people who would love them, if they’re local. Thanks!

dotscharm
    January 24, 2011 at 12:24 am

I LOVE the vintage textbooks! I am a textbook editor–pre-K through grade 8–and adore old textbooks like these. I don&#39;t collect them because my house is stuffed full of current texts, but I do love to look at the older ones and see how they have evolved over the years. Thanks for sharing.

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    January 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Great stuff! My MIL was a first grade teacher. She&#39;s given me a lot of wonderful books just like these. Love them.

Sew Create It - Jane
    January 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Great school desk…We had those kind where I went to highschool!

Amy E.
    January 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

oh my gosh, i think my 3rd grade teacher used that exact book (all about eggs) to teach us about the birds and the bees!

Nancy
    February 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm

You could make a memory game! I did it, with my scanner, and it was so fun. http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2009/09/colors-are-nice.html

Gmama Jane
    February 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Ok, I&#39;m a retired teacher and taught almost my entire career using those type of desks, They were ugly then and ugly now..I say PAINT that sucker in some cute primary colors maybe some dots, designs, decoupage, whatever you like but NOT that UGLY steel color!! Just thinkin….<br />Gmama Jane

Janet
    June 22, 2011 at 8:32 am

I saw a desk like that just the other day at our Goodwill. It was marked $5!! I was sorely tempted to purchase it, but as my youngest is on the husky side, I didn&#39;t think he would fit. What a great find though, and I think a coat of paint on yours would be in order.