I was a little worried that all the white made it boring and flat, but the quilting (thanks Becky!) + a good run through the wash/dryer really made it come to life.
Most of the fabric is from the Erin McMorris Weekend collection that came out last fall. As with many fabric collections in quilt shops – they sometimes seem to sit around until a sample is made. So I finally took it upon myself to no longer let these pretty fabrics sit idly by. Threw in a few other prints we had on hand including some of the new Sunkissed collection by Moda.
For my pattern I used this tutorial from the Riley Blake Cutting Corners blog. I really loved the tutorial for making the pinwheels. She has a slick method. I changed a couple of things – made it bigger, made a solid border, etc. I also changed the method for the solid block on point because I didn’t want to have any fabric waste. You could do either method. Here’s the notes for what I changed:
For each solid block on point I cut 1 7.5″ print square and 2 6.5″ white squares. Cut the 2 white squares in half on the diagonal.
Sew two triangles on opposite sides of straight edges. Press open. Sew 2 triangles on remaining sides, press open. Square up the block to 10.5″. Be careful to leave a 1/4″ seam allowance at all 4 points of the solid square. There you go.
I bound the quilt (using the cute Sunkissed pink pin-stripe) Friday night while we watched the original Star Wars with the kids. They’d seen bits and pieces here and there at friend’s houses and on the Star Wars Lego website. So it was an epic night at the Smart Household. First time (of probably thousands more) watching the whole movie. This week, Empire Strikes Back.