Easy Bunting/Pennant Tutorial

You know me – I like quick and easy. Okay, some might say I’m lazy. So I thought I’d share my super-simple and very quick method for putting together a cute pennant for anyone else out there like me.
I like to use two fabric triangles per pennant, just to give some more body to the pennants and help them hang nicely.  (I die cut my pennants using my Accuquilt Go Cutter, but you could cut them with a rotary cutter as well.) To sew them together I just match the triangles wrong sides together and sew a 1/4 inch seam along the two-hanging sides, leaving the edges raw.  After sewing, I starch and press the pennants.

I then use Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape (available at any sewing store, Walmart, etc.) to string the pennants together.  I tried pinning once, but it was more of a pain then a help.  I’ve found it much easier to tuck the top (unsewn) edge of the pennants inside the fold of the Bias Tape and sew across the bottom edge of the tape, sewing the pennant in the process. As I get about an inch and a half away from the end of the pennant, I insert the next pennant, overlapping about an inch and continue sewing the tape shut across the top of the triangle.

Thats it. Easy, peasy. No pinning, no turning triangles right-sides out.  It’s not the most Martha way to assemble pennants, but it goes together quickly. I like to let the fabric do the hard part of making it look cute.  The end.
Linking up to
 Craft Link parties  Tip Junkie handmade projects

March 19, 2011 at 7:21 am

great tutorial, thanks!

Aunt Spicy
    March 19, 2011 at 7:41 am

yahoo! you are the best!

March 19, 2011 at 7:51 am

Thanks Amy, its my daughters 3rd Birthday next week and I was looking for a Tutorial, I may use scraps I have and Scraps for the binding tape too. Your the best, great timing!

March 19, 2011 at 8:25 am

This is how I do mine too. Pinning is such a hassle on this project, I"m glad to see that someone else skips it 🙂

Candace McClintick
    March 19, 2011 at 8:31 am

can't wait to try these with the ones i got from you!

March 19, 2011 at 9:27 am

I love ALL the projects you do with vintage sheets! especially this one!

March 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

Thanks for this! I also bought some vintage pennants from you and have been wondering how to proceed. I can't wait to get to town and buy the bias tape!

March 19, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love this! And I love that you used it with vintage sheets! Thanks for that simple tutorial.

March 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm

You? Lazy? Never!!<br /><br />I like that these are no-turn pennants. I *hate* turning.

Strictly Sewing
    March 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Question. I&#39;ve been following your blog for awhile now. You are an experienced quilter and would like to know if I should send my quilts to the quilters or attempt to quilt it myself on my simple sewing machine. I am a novice quilter, intermediate sewer. I am making two twin size quilts for my daughers as their bedspread so it will get a lot of use. I used good quality fabric and my

Deborah Raymond
    March 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I think it&#39;s funny that the sheets I had on my bed (which are in your project here) as a child that I hated so much are now showing up as &quot;vintage&quot; and are so loved by others. It just makes me smile to see.

Happy Cottage Quilter
    March 19, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Beautiful! Love the tutorial 🙂

March 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm

perfectly timed tutorial for me…just received my package from you! LOVE it!!! thanks again!!!

March 20, 2011 at 4:46 am

I&#39;m with you on easy. This is how i do it!! I&#39;m more lazy though. I don&#39;t even double layer my pennants. I need to make a spring one now!

Judy Bagwell
    March 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I heart simple and easy and this is so cute. Thanks for sharing!!

March 22, 2011 at 1:00 am

Such pretty fabrics. I&#39;ve yet to find graphic print vintage sheets…all of mine are florals. Thanks for the tutorial!

March 22, 2011 at 2:48 am

Love this – thanks for the tutorial, may be using it soon for a baby shower!

March 22, 2011 at 5:36 am

Fun tutorial. These are so popular now. Nice to have an easy method to make them!

Susan Woods
    March 22, 2011 at 7:50 am

I&#39;m not sure how anyone who quilts can classify themselves as lazy. This is adorable though, and I plan to make one out of vintage sheets for my daughter&#39;s first birthday thanks to your inspiration. Thank you!

March 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Sooo Cute! someday I will make one.. I must too cute!

March 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Beautiful! I love easy. 😀 Beautiful blog as well. Thank you!

Linda McClain
    March 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm

so smart and sweet. Thank you for sharing it.

the coltons
    March 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

i don&#39;t know if i&#39;ll hear back from you but i&#39;m wondering where you found that green/pink/yellow/blue floral in the photos on the sewing machine? my mom had yards and yards of it in the late 70s because my older sister&#39;s room was covered in it (curtains, wallpapered, blanket, sheets, etc) very curious! :)<br /><br />erin7as@yahoo.com

July 17, 2011 at 9:37 am

I love this bunting! I&#39;m making some for my courtyard wedding, afterward I want to turn in into a keepsake quilt. Do you have any great tips for how I should do it?

amy smart
    July 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Ohsewbetty – hoping that you see this since I didn&#39;t have a return email address:<br /><br />What a cute idea for a wedding! I think you could easily turn your pennants into a quilt – you would just need to detach them from whatever you use to string them together. A quilt like this would be cute: http://fredashive.blogspot.com/2011/06/baby-banner-quilt.html