Red and White Churn Dash Quilt

Finally pictures of the shirtings quilt I teased a couple of weeks ago. This quilt was made from a bundle of fabric the shop put together for the Retreat participants.  We needed a few samples of projects to make with the kits, so I came up with this one.
I’ve always really liked the traditional Churn Dash block and the red and white contrast is always classic. Makes for a pretty traditional quilt.  And it makes me feel so ‘au courant‘ (snobbish for “hip”) with the recent Red and White quilt show in NY last weekend.

Here’s the back. I used some micro-dots and a cute French General print to piece the back.  I love the little detail stripe from the French General selvage edge.

See? Red and White – can’t go wrong. I wish I could have gone to the Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts show in New York last weekend. Looks so fabulous. You can see a lot of pictures and links to other posts at Pat Sloan’s Red and White blog.

I’m planning to make a crib size quilt using this same method out of more modern fabrics. When I get that done, I’ll publish the pattern with both options.
Linking up to Quilt Story.

Comments

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! This is one of my favorite blocks – traditional blocks can be so appealing. The simplicity of the red and white is perfect. Great job!!!

Such a simple block but so stunning. Nothing better than a red and white quilt—-maybe blue and white comes in a close second. Hope this is a keeper.

Ooooo yeah! You are hip. I saw the red and white exhibit and can't wait to make one. And I happen to love churn dash blocks and shirtings. Your quilt is just my cup of tea. Pretty, pretty, pretty!

That is beautiful! Great job using the red and white fabrics. I love the French General detail stripe too, I am making a quilt using Rural Jardin and leaving the stripes in all of it, it's so pretty.

Really Striking Quilt! glad you explained 'au courant' I will make sure to use it at every snobby moment I can :)

I wished I could have seen the red and white show…I have a vintage quilt from the 20's when the Red Cross quilts were made for the boys coming home from WW1. It's my favorite. Your quilt is quite lovely and so in style!!!