Spring, an App, and a Sale

We had a gorgeous spring weekend around here. (Finally!) And I’m kicking myself for not taking outside pictures of some current projects while the weather was beautiful. Because today it is raining, which is nice for my tulips, but bad for quilts.

Las Vegas
Since I don’t have any project photos, I will share this cool little App from Robert Kaufman that April showed me over the weekend. It’s free from the App store and SO handy (if you have an App device.) It’s a quilting calculator and helps you quickly calculate things like how much batting or backing you need for any size quilt, how many pieces (of any size) you can cut from a piece of yardage, bindings, borders, set-in triangles, etc. It rocks!!
I am so not ‘in-the-know’ on cool things like that.  Any other cool Apps, links, calculators, and the like, that anyone wants to share? Please tell!
And in celebration of finishing your taxes (if you’re in the US) Burgundy Buttons is having a great sale on lots of yardage, including Bella Solids and lots of new Moda collections like Central Park, Chrysalis, Sunkissed, Lollipop – even Sherbert Pips! It all ends tonight! Something to brighten up your tax day.

jac.
    April 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

That app is pure genius, only if I had the right phone!

Linda
    April 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Unfortunately, my husband is the one with the iPhone and I doubt he will want that app. It&#39;s neat though!<br />And the sale…….any extra money I had was sent off with the tax form! :o(

The Hunter's Prize
    April 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh, that App is amazing. I am getting an iPhone this month and I will be needing that!

ecuakim
    April 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Is there some way to use the app on your computer? I don&#39;t have an app phone. <br /><br />Signed,<br /><br />Need this app immediately!!!

GerryART
    April 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

This is a pretty good deal. I can download iTunes to my laptop and use the calc on it at home<br />and it looks as though I can download it to my NookColor since it is capable of reading iTunes file format.<br />Thanks for this BIG tip, Amy.<br />Hugs,<br />Gerry

Marg
    April 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Ooh thanks for the tip, I I just checked and this app is available for Androids too, so if you don&#39;t have an iPhone, but an Android phone like I do, you can download it from Market.

Chris
      June 5, 2014 at 2:14 am

Marg, Can you give me the url for &quot;Market&quot; as I want to obtain the Android version of block-fab<br />Chris

Deron Ashley and Gavin
    April 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm

ahh fabric! I had to get some – they were on sale so how could anyone resist, right? Thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚

Sarah Craig
    April 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I have several quilting apps, but once I downloaded the Kaufman app, the others became obsolete. It is, hands down, the best quilting app out there!

Melissa
    April 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm

very cool! Thanks for the heads up. I would never have thought to look in itunes for anything to do with quilting.

MadCraftyMama
    April 19, 2011 at 3:48 am

Downloaded!! Thanks for the heads up, and I am glad it is an Android app too. Yay! Off to play now!

Gari
    April 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I found this app a couple of months ago and it has come in so very handy. I expecially like it for calculating bindings and backing.

Heidi
    April 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the heads on the calculating app! To me, that is the worst part of quilting–all the math. I think I&#39;ll get a lot of use out of this!

Kathleen
    April 24, 2011 at 5:24 am

Ii have an app on my ipad called BlockFab. It has a library of blocks then different options you could do with them like Tile, w/Plain, Sashing, Pair, and Combine plus it gives you the sizes and amounts for each piece you need. Pretty cool plus it&#39;s free! πŸ™‚