Easy Bricks Quilt Tutorial

Today I am sharing a tutorial over at Moda Bake Shop with simple steps to make this easy Bricks quilt. I love the simplicity of this quilt and using the Bella Solid Charm Packs and the Layer Cakes makes the quilt come together SO quickly.  It’s a great quilt for beginners or anyone who needs to make a good-looking quilt, fast. It works well in lots of different types of fabric too. Here is a version I made out of Denyse Schmidt’s Hope Valley last summer. The fabric choice can take this look from traditional to modern.
The Bricks quilt only requires 42 10″ squares, so technically only 1 Layer Cake, but I used 2 layer cakes for this project because I wanted to only use the prints that would really contrast nicely against the white solid. So what to do with 42 beautiful leftover squares? Make a second quilt!  This one is still a work in progress, but I have the top pieced. I just need to add the borders now. I used the Hour Glass Pattern available in my Pattern Shop.  (The only modification to that pattern is that I used 42 10″ squares instead of 48 – thereby taking off one row of 6 blocks.)
I just love that Strawberry Fields collection – I think it’s one of my favorites of the year. And I love that I have two different looks from the same collection. This quilt was quilted by my far more talented friend, Meridee.
If you want to get an exclusive kit at a great price to make the same finished quilt and pieced top that I’ve made, visit Leah at Burgundy Buttons. But go soon because you know what they always say: Supplies are limited. And truly, with the Strawberry Fields frenzy out there, supplies are probably more limited that usual.
Happy weekend. I’m starting to feel like a zombie. But an excited zombie.

manybooks
    May 13, 2011 at 11:06 pm

What a great tutorial! I love that it is simple in piecing and will show off fabrics really nicely. THANK YOU for the work you put into this and sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

prsd4tim2
    May 14, 2011 at 12:18 am

I love both quilts! And I love the 2 for 1 aspect too. Thanks for the tutorial. Can&#39;t wait to try it. And congratulations on being on MBS.<br /><br />It was nice to meet you today at Quilt Market.

Manda
    May 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

Fabulous quilt! I will head over to look at the tut!

Kathryn
    May 14, 2011 at 7:47 am

Awesome tutorials – I love them both!

Sherry
    May 14, 2011 at 7:57 am

Both quilts are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

Caitlin T.
    May 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm

such a gorgeous quilt! i&#39;m definitely adding this to my to-do list!

Live a Colorful Life
    May 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm

You&#39;re a very fine baker, Amy!

Lydia
    May 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Thank you, Amy! I have it bookmarked for future reference!

Judy
    May 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I want to say Thank You. I love so many quilts I see and wonder how many more patterns I need to buy. Thank you very much for your kindness to give us one of your beautiful quilts. I&#39;m looking forward to making that Strawberry Fields quilt that you show there, another favorite!

Funky Kim
    May 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I cannot buy one more quilt kit. Not until I finish up a few (HAH!) that are in my sewing room. I am easily distracted. My only downfall!<br /><br />It was fun seeing you today at the meet up! I&#39;ll see you again in the fall! Woot!

Paula and Mel
    May 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm

What a great quilt and easy also. I am a new quilter and have a question.. How can I make this queen size?<br />Thanks for the great tutorial.<br />Paula

Maimie
    May 15, 2011 at 6:46 am

I loved this quilt. Simple, but really eye-catching. I had a Collection for a Cause layer-cake and some cream charms that I am going to use. <br /><br />Must say I do not go to too many blog sites – your&#39;s is very interesting – thank you for the tips and great patterns. I will be back – I have saved your blog to my favorites.

Stephanie
    May 15, 2011 at 9:47 am

Love your blog and this tutorial! I am going to have to make several of these-fast!

Melissa {polkadot chair}
    May 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm

It&#39;s so pretty!! I must say I love seeing the snow capped peaks in the background ! I really miss those mountains. <br />Melissa

Trudi
    May 16, 2011 at 1:25 am

Love the Easy Bricks Pattern Amy, mine went together in an afternoon! Thanks for such clear and great instructions ๐Ÿ™‚

Tahel
    May 16, 2011 at 11:03 am

Hi AMy Thanks for shering those tutorial, i love both! Tahel fromIsrael

Beginning Quilting Now
    May 16, 2011 at 11:54 pm

This is one of the easiest to follow tutorials I have found online. I think this quilt is very pretty and I&#39;m sure that a lot of quilters out there will have a fun and stress-free time in making this quilt. ๐Ÿ™‚

Greenstylemom
    May 26, 2011 at 11:17 am

I made a variation of this quilt as a gift for our kindergarten teacher. I blogged about it today. Come check out what you inspired!

notes of sincerity
    June 19, 2011 at 6:43 am

Thank you *so* much for this tutorial. I made this quilt with the Sew Cherry fabric line, yesterday, and posted. I will post the quilt in the next day or so. I can hardly wait to order the batting and complete the quilt. :o)<br />I will certainly use this tutorial again! Thanks again!! :o)

Melissa Clifford
    August 7, 2011 at 9:09 am

I just finished! I&#39;m so geeked I hope my BFF likes it.<br /><br />I wasn&#39;t sure where to post that I made this one. I went to the Moda Bake Shop as well.<br /><br />I will try to post a pic in the Flickr group.

How to Make a Wedding Guestbook Quilt - Grace Elizabeth's
    October 28, 2015 at 8:38 am

[…] and friends. The rectangular pieces, the bricks, would be a collection of rich, fall colors. ย Here is a tutorial of this Easy Bricks Quilt by Amy Smart over at Diary of a Quilterย which was Courtney’s […]