Fabric shops in New York

I’ve been meaning for sometime now to compile a reference place for all of the New York quilty-fabricy-cool stuff-posts from past visits. So for anyone who might be planning a trip. here is a list of quilt and fabric related shops in New York City.

Here they are. Enjoy.

Purl Soho

Pins and Needles Boutique
upper east side

The City Quilter

M&J Trimming

The Fabric District

Pearl River Mart, Soho

Jonathan Adler Store, Soho

Metropolitan Museum

The comments on this post (and the above posts themselves) have some more great suggestions if your a quilty-sewey kind of person planning a trip to NYC. And this isn’t the “be all end all” list of great sewy places to visit – just some of the ones I’ve visited. Please feel free to add any others that are your favorites as well. Links too, if you want. The more the better. Because maybe I’ll go again!

Here are posts for fabric shopping in London and Paris as well.

jlk
    June 11, 2011 at 6:07 am

On one visit, we did an "Enchanted" visit of Central Park, going to all the sites in the big musical number. Our kids (and I) loved it!

Alexis
    June 11, 2011 at 7:00 am

Tender Buttons!!! http://tenderbuttons-nyc.com/

Jaime
    June 11, 2011 at 7:15 am

Don't forget Tinsel Trading if you're by M&J, it's around the corner.

Jan
    June 11, 2011 at 8:50 am

City Quilter, not as "pretty" as Purl Soho, but wonderful, and now they have a quilt museum/gallery attached.

Soulwindows
    June 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm

After seeing your about Purl Soho, I have been a fan. I recently gave in and purchased some of their Liberty Fabric…you should get a commission!

Sherri
    June 11, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I really, really hope to get there one of these days!

liz
    June 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

What a fabulous resource you've provided. I have bookmarked this post and one day I hope I get to use it. This is a great idea.

Me and My Brain
    June 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Pearl River Mart our fav place to go in NYC. It is a must anytime we go… I got to check out the other places too.

Linda
    June 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm

showing us those photos is like dangling a chocolate bar in front of me. It makes me drool. Looks like so much fun!<br />80&#39;s sound good to me! We had 104 about 3 weeks ago!

Leslie
    June 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

Dang it! I went two weeks ago, but did make it to Purl Soho! I&#39;ll have to take notes for my next trip!

a little bit biased
    June 12, 2011 at 11:28 am

Thank you Amy! Perfect timing because we&#39;re going there in Septemeber (my first time). I will definitely have to check out some of these places!

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    June 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

Ah so inspiring. I would have felt bad not to go too. But that heat in NYC can be brutal. Love the umbrellas on the ceiling the most.

KerryQ
    June 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Good choice. I&#39;m in upstate NY and the heat was brutal! It was too hot to go outside! And it would have been a lot worse in the city. Sticky gum on the sidewalk, and stinky!

Karina
    June 15, 2011 at 11:47 pm

What great suggestions – LOVE Pearl River – but I&#39;ve always shopped only online – would love to see the store….fun, fun places to go.

Jasmine
    July 27, 2011 at 4:48 am

Thanks for sharing! I stayed up til midnight last night looking up this very sort of thing for my next trip to NYC in December. I discovered your blog today (via pinterest), and was so glad I discovered this post! Purl Soho and M&amp;J were already on my list – excited to be adding a few more! Thanks 🙂

58cd5c22-67d9-11e1-a990-000bcdcb2996
    March 6, 2012 at 4:11 pm

B &amp; Q Trimmings is on 38th street right by M&amp;J. They have similar things for less if you&#39;re looking for a deal. And the people that work there are much more attentive than at M&amp;J. =)

amy smart
      September 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Thanks so much for the recommendation – I did go in B&amp;Q this last time I was there. It is a great resource and you were right. The people working there were very friendly and helpful. There were some trim shops in the Fabric District where I felt nervous to ask for help, this was the friendliest staff I came across. Great selection too!

babs4008
    March 19, 2013 at 10:18 am

I am embarrassed to say that I live in New York (on Long Island) and worked in Manhattan for 26 years but never went to any of these places. Shame on me! I don&#39;t have any sewing/quilting soulmates locally who share my passion. My sister and mentor lives in Idaho, so I&#39;ve been to a few sewing/quilting stores out there. Thank you for the tips! I need to be a tourist in my own town more

Sophia1
    October 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Just went to Kinokuniya – a Japanese book store on 6th Ave across from Bryant Park. They have a nice selection of regular quilt and other crafts in English on the main level. The lower level has a great selection of craft and sewing books in Japanese – they are expensive but I found some beautiful books I just had to have (quilting, bag making, crochet and embroidery). There were also knitting