Guest blogger: Pamela of French Knots

French KnotsHi friends. While I’m having some family time my friend Pamela from French Knots is blog-sitting for me today. (I’m in love with her new blog design and that pink Bernina sewing machine!) She has a cute project to share – perfect for a quick summer craft. Especially if you’re like me and your itching to make something but have little time to actually complete a project right now. This one is a fast, fun finish – and a great one to do with kids too!

Take it away Pamela!

Hello…..Quilters and Crafters alike. I’m Pamela from Frenchknots. I have a fun, quilty, crafty blog about all the things I enjoy and fill my day with. I am really excited to be sharing a clever idea with Amy’s readers that combines two of my favorite things: letter writing and quilting!

Last spring Amy and I had the opportunity to attend Quilt Market in SLC. If you all remember Amy helped sew a few projects for Sarah Jane with her new fabric line “Children at Play”.

At Market, when I picked up Sarah Jane’s “Children at Play” fabric portfolio I was over the moon for all her fabrics. I literally stared at the fabric swatches for days after Market. I couldn’t bare to not keep the portfolio, but how best to enjoy it? Then an idea hit me: make the paper swatches into cards.
So, I went to my local craft store and bought some simple plain note cards. Using my sewing mat, rotary cutter {I have a separate blade for paper} and ruler I quickly cut up all the lovely, little swatches.
Once everything was “just sew” I glued my paper fabric swatches onto the cards. Added a few stitch lines and stamped a few “sew”eet sayings.
I love personal, handwritten notes. I have a motto: “when sending a card to anyone, always write a personal message.”

I feel really lucky to have used the “Children at Play” swatches for making these cute cards. Even if you don’t have a portfolio to cut up… there are many great paper ideas out there to make your own cards: newspaper, magazines, catalogs, old books etc. Great Creative! and add your own personal touches and embellishments with buttons, ribbon, stamps, stitching etc.

Thanks Amy, for letting me come and spend a day with your friends!!

Pamela is the author of the crafty blog: Frenchknots. She lives in Utah with her husband and three sons. When Pamela isn’t crafting with her sons, she is quilting, cooking, reading and or running; not in that order or all at the same time.

post signature

angela
    August 8, 2011 at 9:03 am

Very cute idea! I love doing this with those last bits of beloved fabric as well. Love your addition of the stamped notes!

Pamela
    August 8, 2011 at 11:45 am

Thanks Amy, it has been an honour to guest post with Diary of a Quilter today!

My Sweet Boys
    August 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I&#39;m sorry this question might be off the subject but maybe you can help. Im a new quilter and just started. I really enjoy it and want to upgrade my ver very basic machine but i dont think im ready for a Bernina, can you recommend anything? So far im looking at a brother.<br />Thank you<br />Nancy

CJ
    August 8, 2011 at 12:36 pm

CUTE cards! I wanna make some now. 😀

Ella
    August 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Very Cute Cards!!! Love it!♥ <br />@ My sweet Boys….Everyone is ready for a Bernina, it is the Best machine you will ever own and the easiest to use, you will never regret it!!! Even if you just get a basic one!!!

Live a Colorful Life
    August 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I love the personalized cards. Such a great way to use these little paper swatches! I couldn&#39;t bear to part to with teensiest scraps of Flea Market Fancy so I did something similar by sewing them bunting-style on a card. I love your idea too! I have lots of paper leftover from scrapbooking day!

SlaveToMyNeedles
    August 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Love the cards, as well…Great post…<br />Off to check your blog, now..:)<br />Louise<br />SlaveToMyNeedles

Michele
    August 10, 2011 at 4:32 am

Wonderful idea for using up the tiny scraps. I will definitely file it away for the future.

Ineke van den Akker
    August 10, 2011 at 9:56 am

Fantastic!

Kehkshan
    October 21, 2011 at 8:35 am

These cards looks so cute and lovely…I like your idea…<br /><a href="http://www.plastticcardmonster.com&quot; rel="nofollow">Plastic Cards Monster</a><br /><a href="http://www.alltimeprint.com&quot; rel="nofollow">Plastic Cards </a>