A new project and a heartfelt thanks

We’re getting ready to spend some time with extended family this week, so I’m officially ‘going off the grid’ – taking a break from the computer for a week!  I’m sure I’ll check in from time to time and I have some nice guest posters to keep you all entertained while I’m gone.

This also means I need a new handwork project to take-along with me while we’re out and about. Last year it was Hexagons so this year I decided to try something new. I’ve been inspired by a few orange peel quilts so I’m going to give them a go and I choose the pile of scraps at the top as my colors.  Can’t go wrong with red, white, and blue. Always classic. Not bowing to the whims of color-trends this time. πŸ™‚

In other cuteness that must be shared, check out this adorable coin purse made by Kristie of Obessisve Crafting Disorder. I helped to hook her up with a little bit of Denyse Schmidt a while back and then I was surprised by this in return. A Union Jack on linen! I’m in love. With a coin purse. Thank you Kristie!

Hiking ‘Y’ Mountain in Provo, Utah

Thank you to many of you who do such nice things for me. And to ALL of you who have continued to stop by, despite the radomness my blog this summer.  My family thanks you too. This summer has been so much better than last year.  I tried and spectacularly failed at trying to “do it all” last year and this year I was determined to not make that mistake again – for the sake of my family and for my own mental well-being.  Putting “my stuff” (i.e. mainly sewing & blogging) on hold has been the best decision ever.  I’ve tried harder to live in the moment and just roll with all the adventures and opportunities summer brings. And it has been great.  I can hardly believe that school starts in 2.5 weeks – and then I’ll have a little bit of time for “my stuff” again, and this time with no regrets.

Thank you for leaving such great comments. I can’t tell you how many times you people have made me laugh.  Your comments make my day and motivate me to keep posting. One of the things I have regretted is not being able to consistantly respond to individual comments as much as I would like, but please know how much I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to do it. Esp when you have to enter those annoying word verifications. This week I tried removing that step and got some nasty spam, so back on they went. Sorry.

Hope you all have a fun weekend and I’ll see you next week!

While I’m gone you might want to check out the spectacular sale at Sew Obessed Fabrics Friday-Sunday where you can get 30% off your entire order with the coupon code WEEKEND. Woo.

Also, if you are trying to sign up for or have other questions regarding the Wantobe Quilter Campaign contact Jane, Wendy, or Marlene. Thanks!

Stray Stitches
    August 5, 2011 at 6:11 am

Have a great time with the family! Your hand sewing project looks like fun.

The Tulip Patch
    August 5, 2011 at 6:27 am

Oh my gosh…I thought about you when I saw the new Puttin' on the Ritz collection. It is dusty pinks and dusty squa. Not exactly country blue and mauve, but close! I love the fabrics you chose and now I am coveting your white-but-not-white stack.

DeeRoo
    August 5, 2011 at 6:55 am

Goodness…sometimes I think we were meant to know each other….I just got a pile of fabric together…REAL 30s/40s fabrics a friend gave me that HER grandma gave her and some Bella PDF white to do that EXACT same orange peel quilt…except I didn&#39;t know what it was called!;)<br />Of course mine is in a plastic bag in a plastic container with all my other TO-DO quilt projects!:)<br />Have a

ktquilts
    August 5, 2011 at 7:49 am

oh, I have been wanting to start an orange peel!! You temptress you!!

Sherri
    August 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

Have fun! I&#39;m just wondering how you&#39;re doing the orange peels…did you use a template/iron to get your pieces prepped for hand applique?

Erin @ InvisibleGirl.Org
    August 5, 2011 at 10:53 am

Have fun with the family! It&#39;s important to step away from the computer now and then. And blogging is supposed to be FUN! It can&#39;t be if you feel chained to the computer. Love that Union Jack coinpurse BTW!

Kristie
    August 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Have a great holiday! We all need time now and then, especially in the lazy days of summer! <br /><br />So glad you like the coin purse πŸ™‚

Michele
    August 6, 2011 at 4:47 am

I can&#39;t wait to see how your new project turns out. My first attempts with anything curved were not nice or fun so I avoid them like the plague but perhaps one day I will give them another try. Have fun on your trip.

Cindy
    August 6, 2011 at 6:30 am

Good call on spending time with the family this Summer. Kids grow way too fast and fabric will always be there. Love reading your blog – thanks for all your inspiration!

Hilary
    August 6, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Amy! You are a blogger! I found your blog while perusing DesignMom and now I can officially stalk you πŸ˜‰ I had no idea you were such a talented seamstress. Hope you are well! Say hello to Michael!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape
    August 10, 2011 at 7:13 am

What a lovely pile of scraps… just beautiful. I want to picking up quilting SO BAD. And that coin purse is so darling. Enjoy your well-deserved time away.

Lynn Koeppen
    August 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I was wondering where you got he orange peel block pattern. It is so cute. I&#39;m thinking it is just the right block to use my Denyse Schmidt fabrics from Joann&#39;s. I see you used of few of them as well.

Summer Vacation time - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    July 17, 2015 at 3:33 am

[…] I am still working on those blue and red orange peel blocks that I started four years ago. It’s been my ongoing Β summer/road-trip hand work for a long […]