Finished Strawberry Fields Quilt #2

This weekend I finished a quilt that has been in progress for a while now. And I’m SO happy with the final results.  I was going for a really vintage, faded, Cath-Kidston-y look. And I think it worked.  All thanks entirely to the fabrics.

This is my second quilt made with the Strawberry Fields collection designed by Jan Figueroa for Moda. Usually I like to throw prints from other fabric collections together and mix them up a little, but since I loved every print in this collection, I figured why mess with a look I already love?

The first Strawberry Fields quilt was the Easy Bricks quilt made for Moda Bake Shop. I used 2 Layer Cakes (collections of 10″ squares) to create both quilts. For the Bricks quilt I used more of the saturated colors to contrast with the white fabric.  This one I used all the light prints and the remaining brights to create a more washed out color palette. Both quilts were machine quilted by my friend, Meridee.

I usually go for bolder binding fabrics to really frame the quilt, but this quilt called for something more subtle that looked old and classic, so I went with the bias blue gingham. Does it get more classic than bias blue gingham? I’m not sure. I think one of the reasons I love the way this one turned out is because it looks like something Anne Shirley would have on her bed. But then again, it’s maybe a little too froofy for Marilla’s more sensible taste.
And here’s a literal “behind the scenes” shot.  I took these pictures last night at my mom’s house before a family barbecue.  My husband rarely has the privilege to hold my quilts for pictures, so I thought I’d give him this awesome opportunity. This may even be his debut on the blog. (At least in a photograph. He did write an awesome guest tutorial in June.) Isn’t he doing a great job?  Look at how straight those arms are. And that’s after a 7-hour hike with our 7-yr-old. What an iron man. Way to go, honey.
This quilt was made using my Hour Glass Quilt pattern (only I eliminated 6 blocks – one row- to make it a little smaller and to use the number of 10″ squares that I had. And I made the inside border slightly wider.) If you’re looking for Strawberry Fields fabric you can find it at Shabby Fabrics & Fresh Squeezed Fabrics.

Comments

whoa. Your seven-year old went hiking for seven hours? I can&#39;t get my six-year old down the block and back.<br /><br />Gorgeous quilt by the way.

Beautiful! Both quilts are amazing and I love that fabric (that&#39;s probably why I chose it for my baby&#39;s quilt). Love your hour glass pattern too!

Good grief, that&#39;s a beautiful quilt! I love those sort of vintage, pretty affairs. And your Green Gables reference has made my night. Gilbert Blythe, my first literary love!

Beautiful quilt, love those colour choices! I think you&#39;re right though, Marilla would think they were just too airy fairy :oD<br /><br />They just opened a Cath Kidston store round the corner from my office. I&#39;m doooooomed!

I don&#39;t know how I missed this great achievement of Bakal&#39;s last night. It&#39;s funny because I was just thinking, whoever is holding that quilt did a great job, no fingers showing! That&#39;s tough for us pros to do let alone a rookie. Nice job.

6. Anonymous says

Ohhh Amy- this is absolutely gorgeous!! And you&#39;re right-why mess with perfection- I LOVE this whole collection! Hubby did a great job holding it up. :)<br />Cindy<br />orr20004@msn.com

Wow, I love this quilt. How did I miss this fabric from Moda. So pretty, I&#39;ve been going for the same sort of look for my daughters room. So Cute!

Anne Shirley had great taste, style &amp; passion! Beautiful quilt! Yes, she would&#39;ve loved it. And even if Marilla would think it to &quot;froofy&quot; she would still appreciate all the hard work put into it. :o)

Gorgeous! The fabrics are shown so nicely. Anne would have dreamt of such a quilt : ) I think Marilla would have seen the quilt as a way to show love; through honest handwork, much like Rachel Lynde&#39;s tabacco quilts Anne take to College. (I named my daughter Marilla!) love AOGG : )

I really like the way that turned out. So soft and relaxing to look at and I&#39;m sure really warm to snuggle under. I just got a big pile of charms in the mail and I&#39;ve been thinking about making them into hour glass blocks. Of course I have no idea when I&#39;ll get time to start that.

I could not be more in love with your quilt! :o) And adorable references to Anne&#39;s taste in quilts. :o)<br />I have a layer cake in this fabric and can not wait to cut into it. You have created such lovely quilts with yours!!<br />Have a nice week.<br />Sincerely, Trish<br />ps. Are you all ready for the Sewing Summit?? I can&#39;t believe I am really going! It is like someone handed

Gorgeous quilt! I love the Anne of Green Gables reference. I am making a quilt for my little girl out of Strawberry fields – – LOVE the fabric!!

It&#39;s absolutely gorgeous! You do such awesome work. <br /><br />I love this line and I&#39;m working on a Strawberry Fields quilt right now too. It&#39;s perfect.<br /><br />Love it!

14. Hanna says

I just LOVE the strawberry quilt, it&#39;s so beautiful! I&#39;m still working on my first quilt ever and it&#39;s really hard. You should be so proud!