29 In hexagons

Hexagon pillow

A finally-finished project that I’ve been working on for, oh, maybe a year now? It’s been a little carry-along sewing project since the end of last summer, at least.  You can see it in progress here and here. I hand pieced the hexagons, and hand quilted after they were all attached.
I loved working on this one because I used little bits of many of my favorite fabrics.  Some are old from the stash, some are new Flower Sugar or other Lecien prints. I think I need to do another. Besides, I need a new carry-along project!
I’m slightly worried that this cushion is going to get requisitioned for building forts and jumping over hot lava.  I may need to have a family meeting specifically to announce that this cushion is off limits. (At which point I’m sure they will all collectively roll their eyes and wonder why Mom is such a weirdo.)
Now quickly, a couple of Public Service Announcements:
The Sewing Summit
It’s the last week to register for The Sewing Summit! I can’t believe this party conference starts in less than two weeks. I’ve been excited to go since I first heard about it a year ago. Woo!  This week is the final week for registration.  If some of you are still on the fence on this one, Erin and Amy just announced a special Saturday-Only deal that includes 4 classes, catered lunch, swag and other conference perks for Saturday, October 8. Go here for more details.
De-Stash 4 Malawi at LilypadQuilting

Finally, many thanks to Jacque for the heads up on this awesome opportunity to not only destash, but to feel totally heroic while putting that fabric you don’t love anymore toward a superb cause. Jacque is hosting an opportunity to donate your un-needed fabric to the Kropfs who make clothing for orphans in Malawi, Africa so that they can attend school. I was so inspired when I heard about their efforts.  Visit LilyPad Quilting for the details.  Give away your fabric and your guilt all at the same time toward this sweet project – you could even win a prize. Thanks, Jacque for coordinating all of this!

PS. Thanks so much for the chair makeover love. I’m thinking you are all right – I’m going to leave as is. It’s easier that way too. 🙂

Des
    September 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Just when I think I&#39;ll never do another hexagon item…..this cute little pillows pops up! I love it. Super fresh!<br />And I love a good cause!! Fabric guilt is definitely a plague at my house.

Katy Cameron
    September 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Love this cushion! I&#39;m thinking I may have to take some hexie making things to the Isle of Skye on my photography week holiday in a couple of weeks. I have visions of sitting in the cottage after a long day out taking photos of the Cuilins, curled up in front of the fire with some hexies to sew while having a good laugh with my friends. Which probably means not a single one will get sewn

Amy
    September 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm

it&#39;s so cute Amy!<br />I think I need to try making osme hexies so that I can make one, maybe that will be my project to bring with for the sewing summit.

Catskill Quilter
    September 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Your pillow is adorable! Now I finally know what I will do with my hexagon flowers, which I keep making and making — great activity while watching tv.

Jules
    September 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm

i love your hexie pillow. I wish i was going to the sewing summit, but maybe next year. i am currently working on your &quot;easy brick quilt&quot; and really enjoying it.do you have a flickr page to post to when i&#39;m done?.

paulette
    September 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love your pillow…looks perfect on your &#39;new&#39; chair!! SEW clever!<br />P

Aimee
    September 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Love the pillow! The quilting around the outside border is the perfect touch!

Jeanna
    September 26, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Wow, that is so adorable! I love it! I&#39;m working on a diamond shaped one kind of like that, and it feels like I may never finish, maybe I should make a pillow! Thanks for the great ideas!

Sharon
    September 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Such an adorable pillow!

The Cottage Mama
    September 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Love it! I would love to do more hand sewing. Beautiful!

Anita
    September 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Love the hexies…I really want to try that one of these days!<br /><br />And thank you for the plug about Malawi! I do want to clarify, that this fabric will go for Christmas gifts…they give an article of clothing to each child at Christmas. They do, indeed, pay to have uniforms made for children to attend school…however, that fabric is a specific color for each school, so they have to get

Ginette
    September 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I love that pillow!! I just love making hexies too… am currently working on making a tablerunner with some hexies. A pillow is definitely going to be my next hexie project! And what a great way to practice my hand quilting too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Thimbleanna
    September 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Super cute pillow Amy. Definitely an off-limits pillow!

Dawn
    September 26, 2011 at 6:53 pm

So cute!! I love the little mushrooms! I need to get over my fear of hexagons, because I really, really need a cute little pillow like this. 🙂

miamihoney
    September 26, 2011 at 6:59 pm

That pillow is fantastic!

Susan
    September 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm

The colors are so great! Im sure this pillow will brighten up any room!

DeeRoo
    September 26, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Awesome!;)<br /><br />Oh…and leaving the chair as is will let it naturally get it&#39;s wear and tear marks!;)<br /><br />BTW…did you see I asked you a question on my last blogpost?:)

Pam
    September 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Such a pretty pillow!!! I <b>love</b> the colours. Definitely one to keep away from the kids!!!

Cille
    September 27, 2011 at 12:40 am

Big yeah for carry-with-you projects 🙂 Love the brightness of the pillow – wonderful colors

madebymum
    September 27, 2011 at 1:04 am

gorgeous cushion.

Darlene's Quilts and Stuff
    September 27, 2011 at 5:08 am

The pillow looks just wonderful. I love those fabrics.

Miss Holly
    September 27, 2011 at 5:39 am

I just adore this pillow!! the size of the hexagons and the colors choices are just perfection!! I am going to start one today thanks to you!!!!

Michele
    September 27, 2011 at 5:46 am

That pillow is amazing. Great job.

Lucy
    September 27, 2011 at 5:50 am

Lovely cushion and I agree that fabric is adorable!

NLQ Photo
    September 27, 2011 at 7:19 am

We love hexagons in Norway too!! Nice pillow! I have linked to your blog and used a photo in our blog NLQ Photo in Norway. Hope it`s ok??<br />http://nlq2007.blogspot.com/2011/09/hexagon-over-alt.html<br />Mariann

Anonymous
    September 27, 2011 at 11:25 am

What a gorgeous pillow. I wish I had the patience for hand sewing…maybe some day! <br />And thank you for the information on the yardage donations for Africa. I will be sending out a package soon. <br />-Diana

Nanette Merrill
    September 27, 2011 at 4:38 pm

The hexies are so cute. The fabric is beautiful together.

notes of sincerity
    September 28, 2011 at 10:20 am

I *love* your pillow! :o) Especially the hand stitching. So charming. :o)<br />I am having a little give a way.<br />Would you like to drop by? :o)<br />hugs. Trish

amy
    October 8, 2011 at 9:48 am

LOVE the pillow. You could wrap it in plastic wrap to preserve it… hee hee. I made one and it&#39;s in Livi&#39;s bed and I live in fear that a marker or pen will ever find its way to its surface. Maybe one of Hermione&#39;s &quot;protective&quot; spells would help 😉 xo amy