Fall Mini Quilt and Giving Thanks

After putting away the Halloween decorations, my kitchen table was looking really bare.  I decided I “needed” a new fall-ish mini quilt to spice up my bare space.  I’ve also been inspired by all the mini-quilts growing out there in quilt-cyberspace, thanks to Amylouwho.  I was lucky enough to get one of those Moda mini (2.5″) charm packsin the new collection, Late Bloomers by Sandy Gervais in my Sewing Summit swag bag.  Perfect.

I added a few prints from the stash – I wanted a little more orange in there – and voila: a nice, fall mini-quilt/table-topper extraordinaire.  I was originally going to do something fancy, but in the end, I ended up happy with the simplicity of these random 9-patches.  I sashed the blocks with some Essex cotton/linen blend.  I love the texture linen gives and the blend makes it a little easier to work with. (I always get my Essex cotton/linen from Canton Village Quilt Works.)

I did the quilting myself – hence the straight lines – but I really like how it turned out. I’m getting more confident in my quilting skills.  Maybe yet another good reason to make more mini-quilts.  I may even get up the courage to try some free-motion quilting, one of these days.

And there you go.  As many of you know it’s the Thanksgiving holiday here in the States.  One of my favorite holidays of the year.  We are having a lot of my family to my house for our Thanksgiving dinner.  My husband is in charge of the Turkey again this year.  Last year he tried Calli’s brining method with total success.  (I tried making my first turkey 2 years ago and lets just say it was not a total success.)  With my mom bringing pies and my favorite stuffing, things are looking good for a delicious thanksgiving feast.  A win-win for all.

I love this time of year to contemplate all that I have to be thankful for.  And while I’m here, let me take this opportunity to thank you for visiting this blog and for all the kind comments and encouragement that you leave.  Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Linking:

Comments

Cute use of a mini-charm pack! Love it and pinned it!<br /><br />I&#39;m a good cook but I have to tell you that I find the basics a bit hard – I can never seem to get the cooking time quite right. I much prefer to follow a recipe any day.

Love the colours of the min quilt! I always check your blog, but never have commented until now. Just couldn&#39;t help myself when I saw the quilt. Love it!

Really nice mini quilt. I would so love to have nice table toppers all year long but my little kidlets would get them filthy in less than a day. So I wait until they are older. Happy Thanksgiving to you. I for one am very thankful for all the wonderful quilters I have &quot;met&quot; online in recent months and hope to meet in person some day.

your mini quilt is beautiful! i love the colors and the solid you paired the prints with is fabulous. i love all that you do and post…you are so talented and inspirational.

What a fabulous Thanksgiving you must have had! :o) Your table topper turned out so cute. I too received the little pack of 2.5 squares. Aren&#39;t they just the cutest! :o)<br />Have a wonderful day. hugs. Trish

6. D says

It&#39;s beautiful! <br /><br />My cousin brought the turkey to our house this year. Such a blessing. :-)<br /><br />Happy Thanksgiving a bit late!

Love it, love the hoops, love this quilty topper. Also, Liesl Gibson (of Oliver+S fame) told me that those little mini fabric stacks are called Petit Fours. Leave it to Moda to make me want to eat them. :)

Your mini quilt is absolutely perfect for the Thanksgiving holidays! I used to be really afraid of free-motion quilting too until I forced myself to do it more often. Amazingly enough, it does get easier and better all the time. Now I do lots of free-motion quilting on my projects. Happy Holidays to you and now it&#39;s time to decorate for Christmas :)

I love all the beautiful colors! You should try free motion! I just finished my first-a wall quilt for my office and I had a blast quilting it! <br />I&#39;m thankful for your wonderful blog posts :)

I love it!! When I first looked at the photo, I said to myself &quot;self, that looks like Essex!&quot; And it is, great use of it… and it dresses up the Thanksgiving table too!